Babylon 5

Sadly, they call it the Babylon 5 curse.
Michael O'Hare committed suicide.
Andreas Katsulas died of cancer.
Richard Biggs died of a massive heart attack.
Stephen Furst died of complications of Diabetes.
Jeff Conaway is gone.
Robin Sachs is gone.

Babylon 5 is now available to stream on Amazon Prime Video to Amazon Prime members

Having noticed this post a couple months ago, I started watching B5 on my PC, and have also starting passing the audio through to my stereo. I get the impression from that experience that they didn't spend much time on the audio. The space battles churn out a bit of rumbly bass, but otherwise nothing special. Is the DVD any better?

Having noticed this post a couple months ago, I started watching B5 on my PC, and have also starting passing the audio through to my stereo. I get the impression from that experience that they didn't spend much time on the audio. The space battles churn out a bit of rumbly bass, but otherwise nothing special. Is the DVD any better?

This lengthy article may not explicitly cover audio. However it discusses how poorly the show was digitally remastered.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/22/babylon-5-digital-video-quality/

This lengthy article may not explicitly cover audio. However it discusses how poorly the show was digitally remastered.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/22/babylon-5-digital-video-quality/

Well it doesn't cover audio at all that I could tell, but it's a fascinating read about the video production background and I thank you for posting it. What a moving target these shows are when they're being made.

And as noted in the piece, there is one semi-huge spoiler in one of the linked videos. :0

I've seen where the OTA channel 'Comet' is supposed to start running the series as a regular in the near future, probably next month.
Hopefully it'll be in a decent time slot.
Have you noticed the small writing disclaimer during the promo? May be preempted without notice. Are stations getting sued for not airing something at the scheduled time?

I haven't seen it yet but hope to catch it then. Haven't seen a time slot for it yet either.

Have you noticed the small writing disclaimer during the promo? May be preempted without notice. Are stations getting sued for not airing something at the scheduled time?

I haven't seen it yet but hope to catch it then. Haven't seen a time slot for it yet either.
Holy cow! No, I didn't see the fine print!:deal:
Comet channel has been pretty true to form tho. Right now I've got "The Killer Shrews" staring Ken Curtis and James Best (OMG!) on.
Now if it were Antenna TV or especially MeTV we'd probably NEVER see B5. MeTV in my area has been completely taken over by KOCO News Channel 5 and their shameless self promoting and breaking news. I'm seriously thinking about just deleting MeTV from my auto-programing because of them and the crap programing on there.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for B5 on Comet tho - hopefully they'll leave it alone but if they eff it up, I'm callin in!

I also heard it rumored on the Comet channel in addition to B5 (wait for it....)
SPACE 1999!!!
If just these two shows pan out in decent time slots (which I think they will cause Comet does infomercial marathons of paid programing after midnight I think) I'll be all down with those-and I mean really down widdit!
Youfos not U -F-Os And Barbara Bain always looked damn fine in Space!!

Been diggin Babylon 5 now since it came back on Comet and I'm starting to get into it again. I thought after the 1st episode, maybe not but it's drawing me in again.
I'm starting to recall why I gave it up on it's 1st run in the early 90s - I'm just not a big Bruce Boxleitner fan. I really like Michael O'Hare as Commander Sinclair.
I never really knew why he left the series until I read his Wiki bio a week or so ago. Really sad deal.
It is a good SciFi show so maybe I'll hang this time when Boxleitner shows up, we'll see.

Been diggin Babylon 5 now since it came back on Comet and I'm starting to get into it again. I thought after the 1st episode, maybe not but it's drawing me in again.
I'm starting to recall why I gave it up on it's 1st run in the early 90s - I'm just not a big Bruce Boxleitner fan. I really like Michael O'Hare as Commander Sinclair.
I never really knew why he left the series until I read his Wiki bio a week or so ago. Really sad deal.
It is a good SciFi show so maybe I'll hang this time when Boxleitner shows up, we'll see.
Boxleitner does come across a bit Hollywood in the first couple of episodes, but the storyline picks up and he does settle in better.

I'd give him a pass for 3-4 episodes, I think you'll be back on board by then.

With so many characters ans story lines happening at once, Bruce doesn't really overload the screen. G'Kar, Molari and the Minbari are much more intersting. Molari CAUSED most of the problems in our whole galaxy. Even Bryan Cranston, as Ericsson who was on the screen for like 50 seconds even makes an impact. It wasn't until Babylon 5 that I realized Walter Koenig could actually act.

With so many characters ans story lines happening at once, Bruce doesn't really overload the screen. G'Kar, Molari and the Minbari are much more intersting. Molari CAUSED most of the problems in our whole galaxy. Even Bryan Cranston, as Ericsson who was on the screen for like 50 seconds even makes an impact. It wasn't until Babylon 5 that I realized Walter Koenig could actually act.
Storyline and strength of characters/development is what makes B5 compelling.:thumbsup:

The show had what is needed for real drama, conflict. I enjoyed the transitions from serious danger to comedy and back again, in a matter of minutes. I watched it through about 2 years ago. I am ready to do it again. In the past month, I have watched all 6 of the B5 movies.

For the computer geeks among us, the B5 extra-vehicular scenes were created on Amiga computers with Video Toaster sidecars. One of my friends, back in the day, was a high-ranking videographer for the Tonight show. He also did work for alot of the international documentaries of the day. He had two Amigas, with Video Toasters, for editing and post-processing. They were amazing machines. I'm still kicking myself for not getting one myself.
Enjoy,
Rich P
Just saw this thread. Back in the day, I hung out on the B5 set and the separate (Foundation) facilities quite a bit and remember racks of Amigas being used (also for a kids show, which I don't remember the title of). As I mentioned in another thread, my sister was on the show so I had unique access. I actually bought a 2000 myself to play around with based on these experiences, before I moved on to Macs. They were indeed way ahead of their time, just not supported after awhile. I still wonder what ever happened to those awesome video processing racks.
Sadly, they call it the Babylon 5 curse.
Michael O'Hare committed suicide.
Andreas Katsulas died of cancer.
Richard Biggs died of a massive heart attack.
Stephen Furst died of complications of Diabetes.
Jeff Conaway is gone.
Robin Sachs is gone.
My sister Claudia is still alive, thank God, though her husband at the time mysteriously died (or was murdered...if you believe the conspiracy). You are right though, there is an odd tragic streak with actors in this series. I was fortunate to have met a few that are no longer with us. Glad it still has a fan base as it was superbly written, but I just cant watch it.

Koenig was marvelous, I loved (even as I hated) that character he portrayed.

The relationships Bester had with Garabaldi and also with Lyta were fun to watch. When Bester could no longer read Lyta's mind really drove him crazy.
Garabaldi stating "That would be us" when Bester referred to non-telepaths as 'mundanes'. Perfect timing.

Back
Top Bottom