Tale of three deliveries

nj pheonix

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Recently i found Digikey was faster (generally by 2-3 days) than Mouser
to me. So, i started to try and source more stuff through them.
Recently i placed an order on a Sunday night. Then the following Monday morning early (before 6AM EST). All first class mail (Hey i'm cheap, what can i say. So my Monday morning delivery comes Wed. My Sunday night delivery comes the following Tues.? (based on tracking, i think it was usps and that Monday was Columbus day) Now i need something else. The following Sunday, before the second order arrived. I hoped to speed it up so i went Fed ex standard (not a ton more than mail). Expected delivery 10 days (not business days). I can't figure it. I'm stumped?:rolleyes:
Maybe i'll keep mouser in the queue (not that i cut them off) they seem to be consistently 6-7 days to me regardless of shipper. It just irked me that it took 3 days before it shipped.:idea:

Last edited:
Mouser is usually faster to me at home, but I find if I ship Digikey to work it shows up 1-2 days faster. I'm 1/2 mile away and its the same delivery driver but using the "commercial address" option saves me some $ and speeds delivery. I don't get it.

I'm 1/2 mile away and its the same delivery driver but using the "commercial address" option saves me some $ and speeds delivery. I don't get it.

Business addresses are typical a "scheduled stop"--they tend to send and receive parcels on a regular basis, so they are part of the route being run every day. Residential addresses can take drivers well off of their normal route, so you pay a premium and might have to wait an extra day or two.

One interesting thing to note--I order my dog food/treats/toys from Chewy.com, and it is shipped free via FedEx (for anything over $50--which for me is a single bag of dog food anyways). It always arrives on Saturday--they must have one hell of a deal with FedEx, but it does make sense--FedEx runs the trucks/pays the drivers on the weekend anyways, and a lot of businesses are closed on the weekend, so the trucks would be fairly empty, so they fill them with the Chewy orders. Most people don't realize that FedEx is just keeping the trucks full, and the drivers busy--they just think they are "special" because it is always delivered on Saturday.

Maybe i'll keep mouser in the queue (not that i cut them off) they seem to be consistently 6-7 days to me regardless of shipper. It just irked me that it took 3 days before it shipped
Thats the same amount of time that Mouser takes to send stuff to me in New Zealand!

My Mouser orders take as long to arrive as a snail mail order sent with check to Digikey for the Free shipping, got you on cheap, nj, Part of this is Mouser doesn't pick the cheap delivery option until the next day. Then the send it by ups to the USPS Sorting Facility near gadget73's crib and it gets put in the mail system to eventually show up at my house.

When I send a check to Digikey, that 1st Class envelop is handled quickly all along the route and Digikey ships the goods quickly and they arrive.

The two are about 50 miles different in distance from my house and I believe that Mouser is still using Pony Express to get the shipping started down there in Texas whereas Digikey is using one of the major package delivery companies.

I do not like the UPS Mail Innovations 'delivery solutions'. That system doesn't seem to be economical of time.

When I pick priority mail for Mouser they tend to take a couple of days to ship it. If I pick UPS or FedEx it goes out that day. I'm not sure why but the first time it happened I was bummed because I was hoping to have the items by the weekend with the 'faster' shipping method.

Anyone order from Arrow.com? I bought two capacitors for 86 cents and they shipped it free by Fed Ex overnight before 10:30 delivery. I actually felt bad, I didn't need it that fast but the only other option besides their free delivery was for me to pay for ground. I'd have been fine if they'd sent it in an envelope by first class mail.
I put together another order from them and they were going to overnight or two day a part from another country for free. I couldn't bring myself to do that so I got everything but that part.

IDK
Maybe it's just living in the want it now generation (Not that I'm not old enough to remember waiting being the norm.
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume something would ship out within 48 hrs of order (excluding weekends, holidays.....).
Also if they're going to sit on an order for 3 or more full business days, if the moment I realize I hit the complete purchase button, I realize I forgot something and call during business hours moments after, it's not unreasonable to think I can add on, but no.
Also , I haven't noticed any speed difference, shipping out or arriving, whether I choose priority mail , ups, or FedEx.
Sometimes mail comes faster.
That combo shipping thing blows.
Not so much for these 2, but in general if I needed something quick (quicker?) I avoid the ups or FedEx to USPS shipping .

Mouser states cheap shipping gets orders picked next business day, whereas all other orders before some cutoff time are picked the day they are ordered.

Digi-Key to Munich, Germany = 3 to 5 days usually. UPS International.
Mouser to Munich = 2-4 days, usually 3 days. Fed-Ex.
Absolute best Mouser delivery time so far = 44 hours 36 minutes from last order click to parts in my hand, Texas to Munich. I don't have any complaints.

Cheers,
James

What is the best an cheapest parts company to buy from in the us? I hate having to buy a few parts that costs less than shipping.

What is the best an cheapest parts company to buy from in the us? I hate having to buy a few parts that costs less than shipping.
Read the fine print at Digikey, send them a check and get free shipping. Include local sales tax and they are happy.

@gadget73. might be the one in swedesboro, 200 Birch Creek Rd, Swedesboro, NJ 08085. Unless you are north of Exit 6,...

I use mouser for small (10 items) and big (30+) and they ship next day (mainly cause I order
in the pm) and use priority mail - that's two days in transit.

how does digikey skip the two day transit time, consistently, and reliably?

Oddly enough,
The order that was supposed to come Monday came today. 7 instead of 10 days.

If I have a project with a big list.
Its fine.
Its,when something is near done and open and I want to listen to it or clear the bench or get to something else while I have an opportunity that its,sometimes frustrating.
I'm happy these sources still exist.
It is too bad there's no place within an hours drive that you can realistically get stuff from.

Back
Top Bottom