Spent a little time in Audio Heaven tonight..

Wolverine

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I got an invite to an event being held by a local Home Theater retailer who is starting to enter full throttle into the 2-Channel market. I got to listen to great gear from makers such as Mark Levinson, Revel, Totem, Dynaudio and others. Here are a few pics including the MoFi LP that I won.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1047.JPG
    IMG_1047.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1048.JPG
    IMG_1048.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_1050.JPG
    IMG_1050.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1054.JPG
    IMG_1054.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 157
Wow that is like living the dream !!! Epic collection of high end speakers.!
Did you just audition them or do you have some at home ?
Wish I could get em for wholesale price lucky retailers always marking stuff up tons.
I’m so broke tho right now.

Last edited:
Wow that is like living the dream !!! Epic collection of high end speakers.!
Did you just audition them or do you have some at home ?
Wish I could get em for wholesale price lucky retailers always marking stuff up tons.
I’m so broke tho right now

Currently I am running Von Schweikert VR2's, Polk RTA 12's, BBC Monitors and Fried Model C's which some would have been solid mid-fi in their time. I'm fairly convinced after last night that I could improve my speakers a bit by improving my sources to some degree.

Relatively speaking the Totems and the Dynaudio were very reasonably priced in my opinion. In the case of the Dynaudio's they were being driven by about a $15,000 Primare amp/preamp combo. For some that would not be a lot of money but I don't think I would ever be able to afford a combo in that range but who knows. I hope to retire in the next 5 years and that would be a nice retirement present!

Last edited:
Nice to win. Nice to have a dealer nearby to keep tabs on the state of hobby.

4K for the JBLs, seems to be a what the market will bear price, but I've heard some 6k puny Dynaudios that were really good.

Last edited:
Spell check that mid-go speaker rating of yours.

Nice to win. Nice to have a dealer nearby to keep tabs on the state of hobby.

4K for the JBLs, seems to be a what the market will bear price, but I've heard some 6k puny Dynaudios that were really good.

Actually I did last night! The bookshelf Dynaudios which were the SE40's were in my opinion the stars of the night. They run a grand less than the JBL's and produced Bass that thumped me in the chest and I was sitting in the back of the room! I'm sure having close to 500 watts being pumped into them by the Primare amp helped.

To JBL's credit the rep said that at $4K they are actually $300 lower than the price of the originals when adjusted for inflation.

I heard those Dynaudios and the entire line. High quality modern speakers are amazing sounding. The bass that comes out of some of these small enclosure using today’s technology is amazing.

I am always on the lookout for used modern speakers. That is how I found my Acoustic Zen Adagios. I think modern speakers are awesome.

Great Post - there are a lot of good things happening out there in audio land. Modern materials, manufacturing and computer design are enabling some remarkable things. And it costs nothing to go hear them at your local store :)

jblnut

I heard those Dynaudios and the entire line. High quality modern speakers are amazing sounding. The bass that comes out of some of these small enclosure using today’s technology is amazing.

I am always on the lookout for used modern speakers. That is how I found my Acoustic Zen Adagios. I think modern speakers are awesome.
Yeah much smaller footprint , the best vintage speakers are monstrous, and or floorstanders that look like massive bookshelves on mini stands . Not that some small vintage aren’t good they are . Vintage simply need restoration but for some it’s a daunting task & can cost a lot.
Some vintage weigh over 200ibs a speaker, but Most aren’t that big.
Sometimes used is the way to to go, I bought all my speakers new tho .

I’ve not heard enough speakers to say that new always beat vintage burn legacy speakers aren’t going out of demand.

Old jbl sound amazing tho.:banana:

Last edited:
One of our former resident JBL experts (RIP) described the L100 sound as "fake, but fun". Has that changed?

Back
Top Bottom