Need suggestions for an accurate multimeter

Solist

A while back I have decided its time for me to start understanding how the circuit inside an amp works. Now with the basics covered I think its time for a full restoration of my beloved amp.

Since having a good multimeter is a must, I was wondering what would you guys recommend for under 100€. I would like to keep the price as low as possible, but still get something that would be accurate enough for checking values to see what needs replacing.

There is an overflow of multimeters and with so much choice I really have no idea what to choose.

Thank you for the suggestions! I guess accuracy comes at a price, will see if I can get something used for a decent price :)

What about older Flukes? 8000A and 8012A? Would those be good enough compared to new ones?

Visiting Texas DFW airport area a few times 5 years ago, I got a few Flukes 114 /115 / 117 for some $60 on average, at pawn shops. As I love those fake Pawn shop and Salvage hunters, and so on TV series, and no stuff to do in the mornings, I spend 5 or more mornings hunting the Pawn shops. I ended up buying electronic tools stuff to the limit allowed for not paying import tax at the airport going back.

You have to negociate a little, do not hesitate start negotiating even if asking price looks ridiculous but stick to max price you want to pay.

Of course, such is only possible if having such shops in the neighbourhood and this area is packed with Pawn shops.....

Just reading about Fluke 8000A: we had these 35 years ago at work and they suffered from pushbutton contact problems. Buying one on the cheap and clean it may give you a good one.

BTW in the meantime last year I bought a Keithley 199 for 100 Euros, if wanting a common and good bench multimeter measuring fast and which is low priced when used, I think those are fabulous.

2nd that on Flukes becoming 'inheritable investments'!
Agree on pushbutton ones being a bit more of a risk (as have all the PB meters I've owned).
Lots of youtube videos on their more recent and cost reduced versions, as well as competitors.
FWIW, I agonized for months over which 87 to get (used, eb) over $50 price differences, and finally threw my hands in the air and snagged a 187. Now I kind of wish I'd gotten the 87 (a bit smaller, and turns out the 187 does NOT have the data logging feature I thought it did), but do NOT regret it at all.
FWIW, I discovered, as I was putting together a 'mini-expandable' tool box kit that even this big guy fits (with just one set of probes) perfectly in one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Festool-499622-Systainer-Mini-T-LOC/dp/B00C27E3JI
Yah, I know it's kind of silly, as the fluke doesn't really need 'protection', but carrying a small stack of these with most every small tool I might need is dang handy if I do say so myself!
:)

Visiting Texas DFW airport area a few times 5 years ago, I got a few Flukes 114 /115 / 117 for some $60 on average, at pawn shops. As I love those fake Pawn shop and Salvage hunters, and so on TV series, and no stuff to do in the mornings, I spend 5 or more mornings hunting the Pawn shops. I ended up buying electronic tools stuff to the limit allowed for not paying import tax at the airport going back.

You have to negociate a little, do not hesitate start negotiating even if asking price looks ridiculous but stick to max price you want to pay.

Of course, such is only possible if having such shops in the neighbourhood and this area is packed with Pawn shops.....

Just reading about Fluke 8000A: we had these 35 years ago at work and they suffered from pushbutton contact problems. Buying one on the cheap and clean it may give you a good one.

BTW in the meantime last year I bought a Keithley 199 for 100 Euros, if wanting a common and good bench multimeter measuring fast and which is low priced when used, I think those are fabulous.
Some clean up, some don't, so some risk.

Yeah well no pawn shops of that kind where I live so, I will have to find something on 2nd hand sites.

I know it's a risk buying used but I am on a tight budget right now and would like to put the money in quality replacements for the amp, rather than spending all my money on a new fluke and then buying comp with lower tolerances.

At least that is my philosophy.

Will wait and try to find something in my area so I can test it before buying it, that's why I asked about the 8000A and 8012A.

I've got a Uni-T UT-61E, while I wouldn't use it for anything high voltage it's a great inexpensive true RMS multimeter.

For Digital Multimeters, I am either a Fluke or B&K Precision man. For Analog Multimeters (you need to set the range as well), I prefer Simpson 260 or a Triplett. For a Vacuum Tube Analog Voltmeter, I prefer RCA or VIZ on my bench.

Back
Top Bottom