A-S301 First Impression

Ross6860

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I needed an inexpensive receiver or integrated amp with a remote for a bedroom system, so I opted to try this new Yamaha instead of a used or vintage unit.

So far, I'm very happy. Very strong bass and no fatiguing harshness. I'm using teh Pure Direct mode.

Listening to it with ELAC B6.2 speakers. Optical from the cable box, and RCAs from a nearly 30-year old Technics CD player.

For $350 shipped, with a warranty, I think you could do a lot worse.

Looks like a nice amp. I see there is the return of the 'Continuously Variable Loudness Control' as from the old days. Very nice to have the digital inputs, I wonder what they use for a chip etc. Would fill a nice multipurpose slot in my house in the tv/general listening room.

The instructions to use the Loudness Control are a little different.

They say its a mid-range "cut". Set the volume at what you would consider the loudest low-volume setting, then cut the mid-range to lower the overall volume and preserving the lows and highs.

I haven't tried it yet. Maybe tonight.

I've enjoyed it with the Pure Audio bypassing all the tone controls.

Interesting, what I recall for the vintage amps and receivers was they recommended setting it for your highest typical volume, then use the loudness control to 'lower' the volume. I've tried it but never liked it much.
Sorta sounds the same with yours but not quite the same.
I took a look at the marketing stuff on line, it looks pretty nice, especially for the price!

Interesting, what I recall for the vintage amps and receivers was they recommended setting it for your highest typical volume, then use the loudness control to 'lower' the volume. I've tried it but never liked it much.
Sorta sounds the same with yours but not quite the same.
I took a look at the marketing stuff on line, it looks pretty nice, especially for the price!

That's closer to the verbatim description in the manual.

I paraphrased because it's supposed to be used to preserve the low and high frequencies during "low volume" listening. Whatever that means. I wouldn't think you would use this control if you are listening to loud music (whatever loud is). My loud may be your quiet.

I use it in a bedroom, and I still haven't tried it. I do listen at pretty low levels at night, so it may be worth a try.

This system gets the most music play of any system in the house, and I'm still pretty happy with it.

I’m a big fan of the A-S series. I have the 801 model, lovely amp, and have had a few other Yam amps in the past.

A bit of warning about the loudness control. If you lower the level with the loudness control, do not press CD direct or you could blow speakers / output stage.

I did this once on a symphonic climax and the amp had to be repaired as a result. Doesn’t do your hearing much good either!

I’m a big fan of the A-S series. I have the 801 model, lovely amp, and have had a few other Yam amps in the past.

A bit of warning about the loudness control. If you lower the level with the loudness control, do not press CD direct or you could blow speakers / output stage.

I did this once on a symphonic climax and the amp had to be repaired as a result. Doesn’t do your hearing much good either!

Yup, there's a warning in the instructions about this.

Been two weeks and I listen to this unit daily. Every morning before work and every night when I go to bed.

I wanted decent sound, not too expensive, and had to have a remote (so none of my vintage stuff or separates were applicable).

I would buy it again, so that's about the best recommendation I can give.

Back
Top Bottom