Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Visiting Seattle and thought I'd stop at a GW in Burien. Good idea, found a pair of KEF K120s for $19.99. Fine but the real gem I thought was the Pioneer SX-9 top of the line receiver for early 80s for $34.99. I think just after the flouroscans series.

Yeah they're gaudy as hell & not as nice as what they replaced but for some reason they caught my very young eye way back then.

View attachment 1300656
Ahhhh another one in one of my favorite Goowill stores stealing my finds...lol. Nice score. I never seem to make it in there when they get the good stuff anymore...lol.

Worst thrift store day ever.

I went to the GW Outlet and walked in as they were changing bins. I walked up to the new bin and there were a beat up pair of Klipsch Hereseys! I scooped them into my cart while reaching over people in an almost super-human feat of strength. I was so excited. Yes, the cabinets were very beat up, and I couldn't test function, but for a buck these were a most worthy project, even if I already have too many projects. They are even the same series as my daily drivers.

I get to checkout only to have my heart broken. The girl tells me that last week corporate came in and put a stop to their "all electronics $.99" pricing. The Hereseys would be by the pound. Okay, they just went from a buck to over $100. I said to her that in a regular GW they likely wouldn't be marked for more than $20. She said "I know". I said to her that I was up for a heavy restoration project for a buck, but that they are far too beat up to justify that price. She said "I know, they will probably sit in the bins for a couple weeks then get pitched into the dumpster when they don't sell". What a shame, especially to a Klipsch lover like myself. For a moment, I was so looking forward to saving them.

My outlet switched over last month. In the old pricing scheme, it would be a rare day to spend over $20. Each visit, I would get enough flipping material to make the trek worthwhile. Now that it is by the pound, the scores have dried up. Electronics are too expensive to take the risk. And they are sorting the bins before they come out. This means the good stuff is gone.

Yep! I’m seeing retail pricing lately in some of my thrifts. And the oddest things too! They had a pair of vinyl covered no-name speakers in the boxes for sale at $89.99. They sat there for three weeks with the speakers getting more damaged as time went on. I’m wondering if they threw them in the dumpster? All because they grossly over priced them.

Other sources seem to be getting better though.

I saw a nice Yamaha CA-2010 for $400 on the weekend. I passed, mainly because of timing. There were two other items I wanted more that took care of the $400 play money.

Visiting Seattle and thought I'd stop at a GW in Burien. Good idea, found a pair of KEF K120s for $19.99. Fine but the real gem I thought was the Pioneer SX-9 top of the line receiver for early 80s for $34.99. I think just after the flouroscans series.

Yeah they're gaudy as hell & not as nice as what they replaced but for some reason they caught my very young eye way back then.

View attachment 1300656
I found an SX9 at the thrift a few years ago.It was missing a door but did play.It sounded pretty good for the two days I used it before it went kaput.I like quality early 80s gear.Problem with this and earlier gear is there is always a good chance it either doesn't work or is not going to work shortly thereafter and there are no qualified people here to repair.Not to mention the money it takes to repair or restore this era of gear.

I found an SX9 at the thrift a few years ago.It was missing a door but did play.It sounded pretty good for the two days I used it before it went kaput.I like quality early 80s gear.Problem with this and earlier gear is there is always a good chance it either doesn't work or is not going to work shortly thereafter and there are no qualified people here to repair.Not to mention the money it takes to repair or restore this era of gear.

The SX-9 had a true Monster Receiver amp section. It first appeared in the SX-3900, then the SX-D7000, then the SX-9, and then another dreadful looking receiver. Not a big fan of the SX-9 or the later models, they had micro-switches with small contacts that wore out or were very hard to clean. All of them were good sounding in a Pioneer kind of way. That is, not obnoxious and good enough.

Not music but cost $1.00

Works great and came with all of the parts (except for the floppy disk)

IMG_20181009_202533.jpg

IMG_20181009_202508.jpg

IMG_20181009_200000.jpg

IMG_20181009_202454.jpg

The SX-9 had a true Monster Receiver amp section. It first appeared in the SX-3900, then the SX-D7000, then the SX-9, and then another dreadful looking receiver. Not a big fan of the SX-9 or the later models, they had micro-switches with small contacts that wore out or were very hard to clean. All of them were good sounding in a Pioneer kind of way. That is, not obnoxious and good enough.
If one finds one working for cheap cool but I don't think these age well at all.I hear you on the micro switches.Problems waiting to happen after thirty years.This find was a good reminder to be very careful about bringing this type of stuff home.Check it out real good first no matter how cheap.

hello all i found (2) realistic turntables today. (1) realistic lab 400 (2) realistic lab 500. Paid $9.99 each...View attachment 1301257 View attachment 1301258 View attachment 1301259 View attachment 1301260 View attachment 1301261 View attachment 1301262 View attachment 1301263
Nice find! Thrift store? The LAB-400 (and its brother, the 420) are probably the best looking Realistic TT's. So very 70's Radio Shack, but has still aged well.
I believe that LAB-500 was an oddity made by Mitsubishi and the technically superior of the two. While not as attractive to my eye, I know a local fellow with that same one collecting dust in the basement and, if he does sell it, it'll be a good deal for 10x your price

Yesterday was thrift day for Walter and me. First was Buy the Pound where I picked up around 280 45s. They were in decent shape and many were small label, promos and oddball groups. I started sorting and I've found Northern Soul, Psych, Funk, you name it. Very eclectic mix. I also had a bag of books and CDs and the total came to just over $8.00.

From there we hit SA where they had 3 boxes of fresh albums, many of them hard rock and metal. Walter found about 30 and I came in at 15 LPs for $1.00 each. Here's a sampling.

001 (4).JPG 002 (13).JPG

Yesterday was thrift day for Walter and me. First was Buy the Pound where I picked up around 280 45s. They were in decent shape and many were small label, promos and oddball groups. I started sorting and I've found Northern Soul, Psych, Funk, you name it. Very eclectic mix. I also had a bag of books and CDs and the total came to just over $8.00.

From there we hit SA where they had 3 boxes of fresh albums, many of them hard rock and metal. Walter found about 30 and I came in at 15 LPs for $1.00 each. Here's a sampling.

View attachment 1302037 View attachment 1302038
Balaam and the Angel !!! AWESOME!!!

Just got a load of vinyl in from the recyclers and found some tapes mixed in. Amongst them a 7.5ips chuck berry master and another one with no artist listed, track names are "in jungle town" "every beat of my heart" and "Brisbane Road"

Edit, vinyl is mainly jazz, one nm £60 Blue Note pressing, nm 1st press The Wall with the sticker and a NM 1st WYWH along with 30 or so decent but not really rare jazz pressings

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Oh, that might be something. It was likely for someone to transcribe the songs for sheet music. If you are really really lucky they could be guitar only demos or something else not commercially available. If they are the released versions it still might be exciting to a hard core Berry collector. If I found that I would have to bake it and play it immediately. Curiosity would kill me.

Oh, that might be something. It was likely for someone to transcribe the songs for sheet music. If you are really really lucky they could be guitar only demos or something else not commercially available. If they are the released versions it still might be exciting to a hard core Berry collector. If I found that I would have to bake it and play it immediately. Curiosity would kill me.

Unfortunately despite having 5 R2R decks none actually work so I won't be able to play it for a while :(

Just got a load of vinyl in from the recyclers and found some tapes mixed in. Amongst them a 7.5ips chuck berry master and another one with no artist listed, track names are "in jungle town" "every beat of my heart" and "Brisbane Road"

Edit, vinyl is mainly jazz, one nm £60 Blue Note pressing, nm 1st press The Wall with the sticker and a NM 1st WYWH along with 30 or so decent but not really rare jazz pressings
What is that Hindustan lp under the box?

It's one of 50 Indian 78's that I wanted but had to buy the whole lot, quite a few interesting instrumental tunes and lots of soundtracks.
You lucky you know what. I've only ever found one, and it had a crack. Still cool as hell, but I wish I had more. How many were in the lot?

Back
Top Bottom