Bearing Oil For Thorens TD 125?

Bobsblkwax

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just got a TD 125 from Ebay and I'll need to change the bearing oil. I read several older threads about what type to use, and the recommendations seem to vary quite a bit. I was going to use 3 In One SAE 20 for electric motors, but I've had recommendations for sewing maching oil as well as a special grease designed for this purpose. I also have some Linn black bearing oil that I could use.

This is the first time I've worked on a TD 125, so I would like to know some of your current thoughts on this. I would not imagine that you will damage the bearing using any of the above oils, but maybe there are some newer alternatives out there? I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks!

you're not going to damage the bearings by using any of the above oils and opinions will vary. SAE 20 oils like 3 in 1 are perfect for electric motors where it heats up in time and becomes less viscous. I think it's a little too viscous for the main 10mm bearing of the 125 but not exaggeratedly so. Sewing machine oil, in my experience, yields better results over constant ambient temperature.

You need to be aware the bushings inside the bearing well are sintered (porous) bronze (aka oilite/self lubricating). It absorbs whatever oil is in the well and serves as a lubricant bank. Unfortunately, when you buy a jack in the box TT, you don't know what types of junk oils were in there over the years. Best practice is to clean the well with paint thinner (naphtha, turpentine, lighter fluid etc...), wash the well clean with IPA, let it dry, and impregnate the bushings with new fresh oil. The impregnation process can be done by "cooking" to speed it up, or just by filling up the well and letting the bushings absorb (up to 20% by volume) the new oil for a few days.

I've got a TD145 mkII and I use sewing machine oil.

I use synthetic motor oil in spinster bearings like on my Dual 1229.

3 in 1 oil may be just fine but it's made to penetrate and remove corrosion and your bearing shouldn't need that.

Linn Black Oil has graphite suspended in it, which, I believe, is designed for high pressure slow speed.
Not necessarily what a Thorens bearing needs unless you expect to use a heavy record weight.

I believe grease should be reserved for sliding parts and kept out of bearings.

Thanks for the replies! Does anyone know what type of lubricant Schopper from Switzerland sells? Just curious really.

I'l probably go with sewing machine oil unless someone has a good reason not to.

I purchased a service kit for my TD-160 from Joel Boutreux in Germany. He worked for Thorens and has the specific oil that they used for the bearing and the motor. Dont know if it makes a huge difference but it was not expensive.

I purchased a service kit for my TD-160 from Joel Boutreux in Germany. He worked for Thorens and has the specific oil that they used for the bearing and the motor. Dont know if it makes a huge difference but it was not expensive.

I think I've read about him before. do you happen to have any contact info?

Not trying to over think this, but I thought it would be an interesting topic anyway.

Wondering what type of viscosity is correct at this point.

I have a few turntables, AR, Dual, Thorens, Technics, Yamaha, and a Clearaudio with CMB bearing ,
in all of them I use a high grade ATF, (made especially for the ZF 6HP21 gearbox).
It is an ester based fully synthetic, and is quite low viscosity.
I have been using this for the past 8+ years and have found no signs of any corrosion or damage on any of the bearings, motor or platter.

Most fractional horsepower motors use the same style of oilite bearings used in Thorens turntables.I researched the original oil specified by Thorens many years ago,and the viscosity was equivalent to SAE 20. Been using it in both of my TD-125's for decades now.Absolutely no wear showing.I also use it in my TD-150 & TD-160.
No snake oil required.No hi-tech required.No bank loan required.Go to the hardware store and buy a can of the ''blue'' 3-In-One Motor Oil. NOT the ''black'' Multi-Purpose type,which contains penetrants etc that are not suitable for this application.

images

Some people seem to feel that you need to use some esoteric oils for these kinds of bearings but I will jump on the sewing machine oil bandwagon, Key is to make sure that is inspected, cleaned and refilled once in a while and you should be good!

Most fractional horsepower motors use the same style of oilite bearings used in Thorens turntables.I researched the original oil specified by Thorens many years ago,and the viscosity was equivalent to SAE 20. Been using it in both of my TD-125's for decades now.Absolutely no wear showing.I also use it in my TD-150 & TD-160.
No snake oil required.No hi-tech required.No bank loan required.Go to the hardware store and buy a can of the ''blue'' 3-In-One Motor Oil. NOT the ''black'' Multi-Purpose type,which contains penetrants etc that are not suitable for this application.

images

Thanks. So you use the same 3 In One for the motor as well?

There is quite a selection of turntable bearing oils on eBay. I bought some of the 'Slick Liquid'. I use it with my Garrard Lab 80 and I really like it.

The TD-125 Mk II service manual specifically calls out "Caltex Regal Oil B". This online reference indicates this is an ISO 46 viscosity industrial lubricant. Replying to an old thread, I know, but hopefully this info helps. Texaco/Caltex morphed into Chevron; the current equivalent of this oil seems to be Chevron Regal R&O 46. Since I'm not looking to buy a 55 gallon drum of the stuff, I decided to look further. Seems like an ISO 46 machine oil is a place to start. I've purchased a bottle of Super Lube 53004, an ISO 46 full synthetic. (Note: this is different from the "with Teflon" ISO100 oil.) If anyone is still watching, I'll report here.

The 125 is not going to complain if you use Mazola. Singer sewing machine oil works perfectly on all 10mm Thorens main bearings, along with electric motor 3 in 1 (blue), and Zoom Spout turbine oil.

Back
Top Bottom