wild edible plants thread

About this time of the year, we get those Fuyu kind at Costco.
Have you tried Trader Joe's dried and sliced California Persimmons? They're pretty good.
No I haven't. Currently being on Maui, the seasons are kinda messed up for me. I was surprise to find that persimmons are grown up at higher elevation.

Oh man, awesome! One of my favorites! Ever try making a Japanese dish called Matsutake Gohan (rice)?
Yeah, Probably not an athentic Japanese recipe but with larger opened Matsutakes, I chop them into tiny pieces and mix with washed rice and cook it in pressure cooker. Season with light soy based sauce and sesame oil. Amazing aroma for sure.

We also had a hackberry tree in the yard that produced small but delicious berries. I've read that our Native Americans loved them and used them to flavor foods.

2328cf9de79f4221b91671e00d8e57bd

Apple season on the mountain here! Apple trees everywhere, at least a dozen trees on the .4 mile route to work. Not sure of the exact varieties they are, but delicious none the less.

I grew up at the foot of a small mountain where there were few apple trees but lots of crab apple trees. They can cause stomach cramps but we ate them anyway preferably with a sprinkle of salt. They were best made into crab apple jelly.

1226-960x960.jpg

Last edited:
Never tried any mind altering plants and mushrooms, but every time I see a beautiful glowing red Amanitas in the woods, they do make me wonder what might happen if I eat 'em.
I've never tried Amanita muscaria. I've been told to parboil it first and dump the liquid. It is toxic. But that may remove the high.
I've tried psilocybin and that's stuff is fun. They were picked form fields at UW.

I grew up at the foot of small mountain where there were few apple trees but lots of crab apple trees. They can cause stomach cramps but we ate them anyway preferably with a sprinkle of salt. They were best made into crab apple jelly.

1226-960x960.jpg
Maui used to have wild Mountain Apples. Pear shaped, white, rosy, and juicy sweet flesh. I haven't seen any in awhile.

I read somewhere some of the native Americans used to have the shaman process those red mushrooms and he'd neutralize the poison. Then all you had to do to get high was...drink his pee.

Not exactly "wild", but some persimmons from a friend's place. Not quite ripe enough to eat, but a few days on the kitchen counter will make 'em ready. Also, what I got from yesterday's 6-hour hike. Older Matsutake's.

Persm.jpg
pine1.jpg

pine2.jpg

Picking persimmons right now from a tree along the highway I pass a couple times a week. 2-3 lb at a time of ripe ones. I wash and stick in the freezer and when I get 15 lb I can make a batch of Persimmon Chardonnay. :thumbsup: :beerchug:

thank you @Poultrygeist for that pic of "polk sallit". I NEVER KNEW what those crazy, staining berries were!! Lord, I've hacked that shit down for years. Didn't realize I could be eating it (with proper preparation).

thank you @Poultrygeist for that pic of "polk sallit". I NEVER KNEW what those crazy, staining berries were!! Lord, I've hacked that shit down for years. Didn't realize I could be eating it (with proper preparation).

Don't know if you live near Harlan County but they have a Poke Sallit Festival each year. Here's some poke and eggs cookin up.

7184891692_6edb26f062_b.jpg

Don't know if you live near Harlan County but they have a Poke Sallit Festival each year. Here's some poke and eggs cookin up.

7184891692_6edb26f062_b.jpg

I'm near Bowling Green, but have actually visited Harlan County. I'm from a predominately white family, and I was TERRIFIED while there.

There's just this pervasive feeling of.....danger. No other word comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom