Should I get Heresy's???

My thoughts having owned 3 pair of Heresys is you could do a LOT better for $450. Imo that's not a "friend" price.

I have owned most of the KG line along with All the Heritage Speakers. The KG 4 is the best of the bunch but I find all the KG speakers to be a step below. I would take the Hersey’s over any of them.

you should try a set of KG and remove (bypass) the poly switched in the network. I would take that over a Heresy any day. Having owned Heresy Heresy3 Quartet Forte Forte ll KLF20 RB61 (RB61 with available power is better than a Heresy) and CF3.

Last edited:
I just bought Heresy IIIs for a very fair between friends $700 for the pair. I was happy, at any rate. They came with boxes, are mint, and the colleague I purchased them from takes immaculate care of all his gear.

If I were purchasing on the broader market, I've seen them for $300-$500, in Is or IIs trim, never the IIIs.

They definitely have sent me looking at the KGs - I really love the size and sound signature!

I stumbled on a mint pair or Heresy III ridiculously a steal.
I have had lots of speakers and have to say for vocals, horns, acoustic well recorded classical and jazz they bring chills up my arms.
Rock? For me it's a hit and miss, depends on the recording and how busy the song is, a good clean well recorded track will just jump.
I find the busy stuff to get a little lost and tangled sounding with these.
Could be these speakers produce such a well defined image that makes crap recordings sound well like crap.:dunno:
Don't honestly know but that's my opinion others will disagree.
I can listen to jazz all day on these.

perhaps try a KG5.2 or KG5.5 or try a set of solid KLF20/30 with ti diaphragms or CF3/4 or the Crites Cornscala in a three or two way configuration or better yet a system with a large format driver and experience a dramatic reduction in distortion. All those speakers when running good caps and upgraded diaphragms will show the H3 for what it is, a three way with a very old mid horn and limited bass extension. If you love your Heresy you can modify them and extract a lot of extra information but it will cost and it is a lot of work to do but the option is there as are the results.

perhaps try a KG5.2 or KG5.5 or try a set of solid KLF20/30 with ti diaphragms or CF3/4 or the Crites Cornscala in a three or two way configuration or better yet a system with a large format driver and experience a dramatic reduction in distortion. All those speakers when running good caps and upgraded diaphragms will show the H3 for what it is, a three way with a very old mid horn and limited bass extension. If you love your Heresy you can modify them and extract a lot of extra information but it will cost and it is a lot of work to do but the option is there as are the results.

We know you don't like the Heresy, you've made this clear thread after thread, and multiple times in this thread alone, maybe try giving it a rest once in a while and not continuously crap on Heresy buyers new purchases.

Last edited:
Well, I just paired the KG3.2's with a recapped NAD 3155 and now the sound is magic. Good synergy. Think I'm going to just stay with the KG's. At some point I will look at the crossovers and maybe the Crites upgrade.

We know you don't like the Heresy, you've made this clear thread after thread, and multiple times in this thread alone, maybe try giving it a rest once in a while and not continuously crap on Heresy buyers new purchases.
I like to hear the other guys side of the story. Even if he shows an indifference to a product he does not like. From what I gather he does not hate the Heresy, maybe Im wrong! He owns 2 pairs himself:thumbsup:

I like to hear the other guys side of the story. Even if he shows an indifference to a product he does not like. From what I gather he does not hate the Heresy, maybe Im wrong! He owns 2 pairs himself:thumbsup:

I do too but it gets old, three posts in this thread alone about how bad the Heresy is. If it were that bad it wouldn't have stayed in production for more than five decades.

Well you know wrong, I owned Heresy which I very much enjoyed (upgrade those with a set of Crites CT125, a very nice tweeter swap) and I owned and heavily modified two sets of H3 and still have one set in the system now. There are always upgrades and options and you don't have to stop liking something because you have found other options. It is because I like Klipsch and Heresy(s) that I post about possible upgrades and shortfalls that can be remedied with ease by owners. I seek to help keep the Heresy in top form but perhaps you see this as a negative. So why not reconsider your attitude?

Well, I just paired the KG3.2's with a recapped NAD 3155 and now the sound is magic. Good synergy. Think I'm going to just stay with the KG's. At some point I will look at the crossovers and maybe the Crites upgrade.

If I were to choose I'd do the Crites diaphragms first for the most bang for your buck. I may have already said that I haven't tried the Crites crossovers, just recapped mine, but that in itself was a much smaller improvement than the horn diaphragms. Night and day.

I had the pleasure of hearing my 4.2's in a good room driven by some very nice ($$$) PS Audio digital amps the other day, and they were stunning. I sat with a couple of AKers (owner of the amps and owner of the house) and listened to some of their favorite test tracks (lossless digital files). These are guys who know their stuff (better than me) and have very very nice equipment. All of us were impressed by the balance across the whole spectrum, the dynamics, and the ability that the 4.2's have to do a lot of things at once and resolve them well. Speakers that a lot of people can like (if they don't dismiss them up front because they are Klipsch). This was not the first time they have impressed a roomful of AKers (I take no credit for that, I did nothing but buy and upgrade them!). One person said "If you had left the grilles on I would not have thought these had a horn." That's what the Crites diaphragms will do.

Well you know wrong, I owned Heresy which I very much enjoyed (upgrade those with a set of Crites CT125, a very nice tweeter swap) and I owned and heavily modified two sets of H3 and still have one set in the system now. There are always upgrades and options and you don't have to stop liking something because you have found other options. It is because I like Klipsch and Heresy(s) that I post about possible upgrades and shortfalls that can be remedied with ease by owners. I seek to help keep the Heresy in top form but perhaps you see this as a negative. So why not reconsider your attitude?
Actually I'm not wrong.

"the H3 for what it is, a three way with a veryold mid horn and limited bass extension."

"Bob Crites has a very nice two way (CS-1T) based upon a twelve inch woofer, better horn better driversshould easily out run a H3"

Should being the operative word here, meaning you haven't even heard it yet you're declaring it should be better.

"I would take thatover a Heresyany day"

And these are just from this thread, there's thread after thread where you've bashed Heresys unless "upgraded" as fits you're taste, it just gets old. I have better speakers, but every time someone posts they've just purchased a pair I don't bash them about how lacking they are. Why not let them enjoy their new purchase and enjoy the journey without thinking they need to rip their new speakers apart to be worthy. It's not right to make them feel they need to invest more money, especially as many may see the $400 for the speakers as a large investment in sound to begin with.

These speakers the OP asked about while not a screaming deal, definitely fair enough the expense could easily be recouped if the KG3.2's were more to his liking. I think the Heresys are better, it's what was asked about, the OP won't know, he's decided to just keep the KG3.2's. That's not necessarily a bad thing, they're great speakers, especially if bass is high on the list.

Last edited:
so are you suggesting then that the K701 mid horn (which is the plastic resin version of the cast metal K700, an exact physical copy only the material is different) is equal to a modern day horn design and that the Heresy (any stock version) does not have limited bass response? My comments are not an indictment they are simply fact about the Heresy(s). If you cannot accept that then you are not thinking clearly. This does not take away from what the Heresy does or how it sounds they were and still are a popular loudspeaker after more than fifty years. They are fun to listen too but once you hear a better (modern horn design) or (a modified version) with much fewer reflections and wider range (lower distortion and better controlled polar patterns) especially those with a larger diaphragm compression driver with lower distortion you quickly realize how old the Heresy has become and there is no changing that or debating the issue it is just a fact. That does not mean that I don't like the Heresy but lets be practical, if you are looking at the kind of dollar value Heresy(s) typically sell for used these days in any of their variants you can do a whole lot better for your invested dollar. However if you want to make a match to an existing pair of speakers or you simply want an identical replacement because you have found the perfect combination in your system or you got a really good deal (I got my first Heresy for about $80.00 USD the pair, I spent more on the upgraded CT125 Crites tweeters I installed in them) then the Heresy is a great option and I understand anyone making any of those choices. After I bought my Heresy I bought two sets of H3 and spent over two years modifying them and I still have one of those H3 sets in my system today.
You can modify any of the Heresy models and you can extract an awful lot of additional sound quality if you are willing to invest the time/work/parts. I have posted here extensively and at the Klipsch forum on what I have done to my Heresy (and other Klipsch models) so others can experiment and or do the same or similar if they choose because I see the value in them. I have spent countless hours exchanging PM posts with members here and at the Klipsch forum walking them through similar upgrades modifications and projects. All this because I like Klipsch and see the extreme value that they possess and offer to consumers. With some effort many Klipsch drivers can often be upgraded to or very close to (depending upon the driver) the performance level of seventies era JBL drivers which by the way cost a whole lot more on the used market and for good reason.
So tell me what is it that you have done besides try to pick fights with someone who cares is interested and who is willing to help other members? For doing this I have your disdain? If you have a problem with what I say then please don't read my posts. What ever you may think no one asked you to be in charge of what is to be said or is not to be said. People can think for themselves. If you are offended or just don't like what I say that is not my problem it is your problem.
I hope that I have made myself perfectly clear, what you say or think about my comments is up to you and you are free to think and say what you want however if you think that posting to me about my remarks will have any impact then you are wrong. Lets do the right thing here and ignore each other so that way we can get along. We are entitled to disagree with each other and that is not a bad thing. If you have a problem with this then you have a problem.

Re your last comment yes you are correct I can tell you with a good degree of certainty if a horn is better without hearing it. If you have two horns to choose from you choose the one with the wider band width as it will be the better horn and it will have probably better response and polars as well. To achieve wider band width you have to have fewer reflections from the horn mouth back to the horn throat that is what make the horn better and most often it will also have much smoother response across their range. There are always exceptions but if you are dealing with professional companies like JBL Faital Pro 18 Sound and many many others then you can look at the horn data and get a very good idea of how they will perform some on line research and you can find all the user response you will need to move forward. Or you can design and build your own horn if you want to or you can choose other wave guides such as the Karlson K-Tube which is a quarter wave variable termination plane wave tube or you might choose an Acoustical Lens diffraction devices as used by companies like JBL and others, some still like these others not so much. There are lots of options even in the klipsch line of home loudspeakers. The horn used for mid duty in the KLF20/30 (and other models including pro) is an excellent modern wide band horn and it is used as a tweeter in many pro models or check out the mid horn in the Forte ll or Chorus ll or the horn used in the CF3/4 which is the largest widest band horn used in any home Klipsch loudspeaker to date with a standard 1 3/8" standard screw on fitting. The K510 is a large format upgrade to the Cf3/4 horn a little large and even better. Any of those horns sound better than a K700/701 does.

Last edited:
You can say what you want, but to constantly tell new members excited about their new purchase, or about their possible new purchase how much "extra" money they will need to spend to make them listenable is out of place.

The OP was interested to know if the Heresy was better than his current speaker, it is. The Heresy in its OEM form is a fine speaker, better than many and might have been the OP's final destination, they are and have been for many. You did your job, good for you.

"The Heresy is an awesome speaker, and another thing great about it is the large following has led to a cottage industry producing modifications to possibly improve on the design. Etc etc."

This can be done without all the undeserved negative comments concerning the Heresy. I only mentioned this after your third post reiterating how bad the Heresy is without modifications, enough was enough.

Last edited:
Klipsch and perhaps more so, Heresys are very polarizing.
I had a pair (IIs which I hated.
I am thinking perhaps they weren't operating up to spec. (At this point, I'll never know, long gone).
Going back to original point. People seem to love or hate klipsch and even more so Heresys .
I do know I've heard and really like cornwalls so jury is still out.

You can say what you want, but to constantly tell new members excited about their new purchase, or about their possible new purchase how much "extra" money they will need to spend to make them listenable is out of place.

The OP was interested to know if the Heresy was better than his current speaker, it is. The Heresy in its OEM form is a fine speaker, better than many and might have been the OP's final destination, they are and have been for many. You did your job, good for you.

"The Heresy is an awesome speaker, and another thing great about it is the large following has led to a cottage industry producing modifications to possibly improve on the design. Etc etc."

This can be done without all the undeserved negative comments concerning the Heresy. I only mentioned this after your third post reiterating how bad the Heresy is without modifications, enough was enough.

Klipsch loudspeakers especially so the compression drivers are to me not listenable stock after you have heard them modified. All of my Klipsch comp drivers are modified, that's just my opinion. If you had found a diamond in the rough thinking it just a nice piece of Quarts crystal I would consider that I had done you a disservice if I failed to inform you that your Quarts crystal was really a big old chunk of Diamond. So to you a truthful description is somehow a hurtful thing? You must be aware how many consumers purchase the Heresy and in short order dump them back into the used market, it is a major "catch and release loudspeaker" its on the edge performance is the main reason this loudspeaker is so polarizing. Some portion of those buyers might hang on and keep their Heresy to go the upgrade path if they knew that they had a true diamond in the rough. Klipsch make some really good high value loudspeakers. I say "Lets Make Klipsch Great Again". No one was ever sorry that they bought better. Thanks for your comments.

Back
Top Bottom