Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Over the past year I've been simultaneously disappointed and relieved by thrift scores drying up.
Between having a few nice higher-end pieces and limited storage space, I've been determined to only acquire when a find stands to elevate my system.
But resolve broke down when all three of these Pioneers popped up the same week, three different shops, for under $20 total, Including the StraightWire cables.
When you hot, you hot!
IMG_3069.JPG
SA-510, SX-680, SA-7100
Each in peachy condition, save for a missing switch cover and a B-speaker button, snapped off by a certain enthusiastic seven-year-old who thinks everything is a knob. <sigh>
How could I resist a mini representation of each stage of Pioneer's hey-day?

Now I mean it, no more mid-fi, no more mid-fi...

Last edited:
Ahhhh another one in one of my favorite Goowill stores stealing my finds...lol. Nice score. I never seem to make it in there when they get the good stuff anymore...lol.

I made it to the Des Moines GW once. Not a lot there unfortunately. The best place was the downtown Seattle GW, looks like a mega-store. The goods [and the clientele] at the Capital Hill GW were certainly more upscale.

Today at the recyclers a Marantz SR7009, don't usually buy HT receivers but thiS is a pretty recent model and mint condition. After a reset it seems to work fine!

Marantz AVR's sound decently good. Only problem with them is that most do not have Phono so they cannot pose as stereo receivers.

Marantz AVR's sound decently good. Only problem with them is that most do not have Phono so they cannot pose as stereo receivers.
There are lots of good stand alone pres. BTW, that one does have a phono pre. That is an exceptional score from the recyclers. That's actually the Atmos unit I was wishing I could afford when I got my Onkyo.

There are lots of good stand alone pres. BTW, that one does have a phono pre. That is an exceptional score from the recyclers. That's actually the Atmos unit I was wishing I could afford when I got my Onkyo.

Always wanted a SR18 or an SR19 because of the faux gyro-tuner.

I had a slightly lesser marantz ht receiver. I thought it sounded horrible UNTIL I preformed the reset!
Any used HT receiver has to be reset before use. The previous owner likely used the Audessy calibration to EQ for room and speakers. Of course the odds are excellent that this curve will be inappropriate for your room/speakers.

It was raining this morning so I went to GW Buy the Pound instead of going to yard sales and I'm glad I did. On Saturday mornings there are only a few people there and no record buyers usually show up. A cart came out with about 150 records and this is part of what I found. I love the Texaco album.

001 (6).JPG 002 (15).JPG 003 (10).JPG 004 (5).JPG 005 (3).JPG

Yeh its been quiet the past few weeks till today, managed a Technics SU8077 in mint condition too. I'm still expecting an issue to show upwith the Marantz.

Went out to buy a few bags of pellets for my smoker and came home with this. Probably paid too much, but it fires up, looks great, and has all of the original paperwork...

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

My Pioneer SX550 has been showing signs of needing the power/speaker selector rotary switch cleaned of the carbon buildup (intermittent loss of one channel). So until I can get around to it, I stopped by a GW and was able to grab a $12 Technics SA GX550 90s receiver in good nick, just needing the dust blown out of it. As always it came sans the remote, but all functions work and I am surprised at how well it sounds, especially the phono stage. I know they can have heat issues but this one doesn't get more than warm to the touch.
This is the most Technics gear I have ever had in the main line-up what with the sl1200mk2 and the SH-GE70 (really just there for eye candy and not in the signal chain being hooked up only to the tape monitor-see the pretty lights!) and now this receiver. Two year ago i was a died in the wool pioneer guy!

20181013_161026.jpg
The Marvelettes actually holds Marvin Gaye's Let's get it on. Which i rescued and stuck in that cover at one of my frequent haunts for a nickel. The others came frome NC and I had to buy 5 bucks worth to use my card. Not pictured is The Drifters Golden Hits no cover but in great shape and 2 CD's Michael Jackson's Number One's and Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley.

Pioneer SG9800 equalizer.Missing some slider button tops and needing a deoxit but all the bands work although no lights.$14.99.Sure would have been nice for it to be perfect.Probably wouldn't have been $14.99.Sorry for the crappy pics.

Attachments

• 10.12.2018 115.jpg
    10.12.2018 115.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 10.12.2018 119.jpg
    10.12.2018 119.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 10.12.2018 116.jpg
    10.12.2018 116.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom