Turntable plinth refinish..

VINTAGEO

Newbie in New B.
I recently acquired a beautiful, rare, Technics SL-M3 turntable in pretty good shape, but the vinyl veneer is peeling in a couple spots and also looks wrinkled and heated where it's peeling.
My question is has anyone used vinyl wraps to refinish their plinth and if so how did it come out?
I was thinking bubinga wood pattern..by 3M

Wow that is a beautiful turntable you acquired there. I think if it were mine I would veneer it with real wood. Here is a pic of one that I found with real Rosewood veneer:

s-l1600.jpg

I agree on using real wood veneer. You can get stick on wood veneer if you don't want to mess with glue and the results will blow any plastic wrap out the window. Plus it can be lightly sanded and re oiled to make it look like new if needed.
Sellers on ebay and amazon sell small amounts of veneer and it's easy to trim using a sharp knife and sanding block.

I agree on using real wood veneer. You can get stick on wood veneer if you don't want to mess with glue and the results will blow any plastic wrap out the window. Plus it can be lightly sanded and re oiled to make it look like new if needed.
Sellers on ebay and amazon sell small amounts of veneer and it's easy to trim using a sharp knife and sanding block.
Yes, I agree, this table deserves the real wood and as bluehills mentions they have "peel and stick" which works great and isn't hard to work with...

20181017_110757.jpg 20181017_110050.jpg 20181017_110109.jpg Ok, i know some of you may never forgive me, but I think this came out beautifully!!
The best thing is if i want i can always do it over, but for now, I am just going to enjoy this work of art!

Hey I gotta' say that looks great! Very modern and a nice clean job you did. MUCH better solution than the fake woodgrain...

Nice work Vintageo!
Got inspired by this and found some peel-and-stick real cherrywood veneer on sale. So I´m gonna give it a shoot to cover the ugly plastic/faux wood base on my Dual 1225. The way this little bad boy sounds it deserves some better looks.

I think that looks better than wood, it made it look like a new table and not dated. That will go with any system you want to put it in. What's it called and where did you get it?

It's a Technics SL-M3
And thanks

Nice work Vintageo!
Got inspired by this and found some peel-and-stick real cherrywood veneer on sale. So I´m gonna give it a shoot to cover the ugly plastic/faux wood base on my Dual 1225. The way this little bad boy sounds it deserves some better looks.

Thanks and good luck with your project, take your time..

Last edited:
Yah, I really like what you did, as Dan says doesn't look dated, with the carbon fiber wrap, looks like it could be current production and not an older table at all.

Back
Top Bottom