Show me your CABLES!! Please...

Hi, Lowrdr..
Hope your cables make as a positive difference, as mine do, to your system..
It’s not easy to purchase basically an entire Loom unheard, not to mention the $$$..
I recently tested the Cullencable “Crossover” RCA’s against, Decware Reference RCA’s (with Beeswax)..
The area were it most noticeable to me, was the image of voice’s and instruments were more defined and sharp.
The Decware RCA’s were a bit Fuzzy and less defined, and went into the closet..

Good luck with your system and your upgrade paths..

A little DIY work here.

DH Labs Power Plus wire, V-Lab Rhodium plated AC plug & a Cardas Rhodium plated IEC plug.
100_1420-M.jpg

This is for the Emotiva amp.

DH Labs Encore power cable V-Labs Rhodium plated AC plug & Gold plated IEC plug.
100_1405-M.jpg

One of these each for the CD/DVD player and the receiver-preamp.

Not DIY but these connect the disc player to the receiver and the receiver to the power amp. Made by RAMM Audio.
100_1421-M.jpg

I have been at it again and made up new cables for my stereo that all use the same wire type. I had to use two different styles of RCA connectors it's what I had on hand. The wire is 18 gauge solid 99.9% OFC solid core copper with a tight tinned copper braid. They sound good to me I make no claims beyond that. I included a picture of my system so you could see what there plugged into. The only cable that I did not make is the cheesy red and white one that goes to a 1/8 plug for my tablet. That is a future one to make.
View attachment 1227533 View attachment 1227538 View attachment 1227535 View attachment 1227532
Very nice!

My new Decware ZMA has a gain knob ..Gives me the opportunity to bypass the preamp .. So here we go again “ New Cables”.. I bought a pair of XLR cables at T.H.E. Show 2018 from a nice guy from “AudioEnvy” Cables.. Plugged them in directly from the OPPO 205 to the ZMA .. They sounded very good, but just didn’t sound like “something special” to me , nothing to complain about at all for $ 220.. But I knew my new ZMA amp was capable of “MORE” .. So the Decware preamp went in with Cullen Cable RCA cables.. Yes with the preamp , just about everything sounded better, than with the AudioEnvy XLR’s direct..

Not satisfied with AudioEnvy’s XLR’s I put in a email to Patrick of Cullen Cable.. Ashamed, I told Patrick what I bought at T.H.E. Show.. With my tail between my legs I asked Patrick to push the envelope and go beyond any XLR’s he has ever made.. Understanding the level of cables I would need to be satisfied, he said “I’ll make a set of cables that will Smoke those cables you bought at T.H.E. Show”..

Thank you Patrick, they actually Blow them away..

A4C31D9C-61E4-4953-B47E-B40F951B2D29.jpeg
209ED0BB-08C6-45EB-9976-0FC083584892.jpeg

They came with the new white Neutrik XLR ends so he made the cables white, the white didn’t match well so I covered them with Black split Techflex .. No big deal, especially since they are actually a prototype, “Crossover Line SE”..

F4F01FDE-E595-4CD3-80C3-0538C1E737C3.jpeg

Final pics installed with Black Techflex, much cleaner match than the white..

3BFEF741-EB2D-44AB-9A9A-3060845DDA5E.jpeg

Now that I’ve found a combination of components and cables that I am happy with, I will replace the backboard to the cabinet with a new one ( I can’t stand the visible holes ).. The Decware preamp is used for Headphones only ,
I will probably ask Patrick to make me some custom Headphone Cables next..

65342B2B-B8C3-4C6D-9A05-D7D799DAC2A8.jpeg

These Audio Envy’s are actually nice , but Patrick’s Beat them hands down..!!

Attachments

• D6FFF3F1-3993-44E6-A234-B95B68B32A06.jpeg
    D6FFF3F1-3993-44E6-A234-B95B68B32A06.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
He fill your orders fast? He gave me an estimated lead time. It passed. I emailed him and he said yes I am working on it now..should ship Monday. Now another week has passed beyond the
Monday. He seems preoccupied. Maybe he did not want new customers? I can only guess.

Yeah, same here ..He is almost always about 2-3 weeks late..
He does at times seem busy with life, and the cables take a back seat..
He seems to be close to the (3) kids and busy with father duties ( Church, little league)..Not to mention works a full time ..
He has had a couple of sinus infections, delaying an order or two of mine..
Really not an excuse, but sometimes custom work can be a little difficult to deal with small companies..

Last edited:
Ok thanks....good to know. I'll cut him a break I guess haha and wont complain further unless the whole month goes by......

Yeah, same here ..He is almost always about 2-3 weeks late..
He does at times seem busy with life, and the cables take a back seat..
He seems to be close to the (3) kids and busy with father duties ( Church, little league)..Not to mention works a full time ..
He has had a couple of sinus infections, delaying an order or two of mine..
Really not an excuse, but sometimes custom work can be a little difficult to deal with small companies..

The wait is tough but it's worth it, armyslowdr. Over a six month period a replaced all my cables with Cullen. One of the best moves I've made. The only time I think about cables now is when I wonder what Patrick might come up with next.:) In the meantime I'm completely happy with my cables and the stereo has never sounded better.:thumbsup::rockon:

Cheers,

Scott

Happy to say the cables were on the table when I got up this morning having come in yesterday's mail. So he didnt send a tracking number but all's well.
Between now and the weekend I will get them installed..looking forward to it!

Rather than using expensive Techflex to dress my cables I use decor tube mesh. Sold in most craft stores $5 will buy a lifetime supply. I finish the ends with heat shrink which holds the mesh in place. My favorite is translucent black/silver over white cables but you'll find them in many more colors than shown here. Reminds me of the Chinese finger puzzles that tighten as you pull and loosen when reversed.

91Vx6VPbbnL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:
I asked Patrick to make a 13’ Headphone cable..
The stock cable was about 10’, just long enough reach the couch if I kept tension on them and dangled them about a foot above the living room floor ( awkward)..
The connectors are Neutrik. 2 mini XLR's and one XLR. The Female Mini 4 Pin XLR's , The cable is 22 awg Crossover Wire.
89917DE1-B708-4FAC-8B24-3E994E76176A.jpeg 46EE2186-4A6C-4365-9287-367B4CF27286.jpeg 8183A4C9-9353-4572-B130-6B88A82BBB21.jpeg

Looking good, Delta77. I love Patrick's cables. A year ago this month I added my first Cullen cable. Completed a full set of cables for my system about six months ago and it has never sounded better.

Cheers,

Scott

SAS Audio Labs, a small company in Illinois. They made the ic cables using 6N cyrod wire, and tweaked Vampire all copper plugs. The outside has some krinkles, but sound very very nice.

cheers

steve

Last edited:
I use a varied combination:

speaker wire for SS amp is Anticables 2.1
IC's are Vampire wire (the old style where you can see the copper braiding thru the transparent jacket, Anticables, Van den Hul and Grover Hoffman cables...

Back
Top Bottom