Les Paul Standard

Dan ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Peanut Head
Always wanted one of these...but I am primarily a bass player...so my wants was based on wanting something to play with. Lucked into this sans a case for a really good price. Has Burstbuster "zebra" pickuRps. It's purdy ain't it?

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Attachments

• 100_0210.JPG
    100_0210.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_0211.JPG
    100_0211.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 100_0212.JPG
    100_0212.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_0213.JPG
    100_0213.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 100_0214.JPG
    100_0214.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 100_0215.JPG
    100_0215.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Not sure....it was suppose to be NOS...? The camera washed out the woodwork and made it look more red than it really is.

Last edited:
Not only purty but a Tri-Burst with "teardrop". That is more than sweeeeeet! Looks to be in great condition too. What year is it?

Almost has the appearance of a 2-tone "tobacco burst", but I do see the "red" color element wedged between the edge and center finishes. The 2-piece top (maple) is nicely matched, and the "stripes" (i.e, grain figuring) is nice & tight.

In any (even sans) case, y'all Celt nabbed a nice-lookin' Lester. have you plugged her into something yet? If yes, how does she sound?

Last (um, maybe) questions:

Body: Can you tell if it is made of a single piece or multiple (2-3) pieces of mahogany?
Neck: Single-piece neck or multiple-piece construction?
Weight: Your best guess?

As far as I can tell...it's a one piece neck and the body is one piece with a two part top. Weight is 9 pounds 8 ounces.

Last edited:
I've always loved that water-drop shape burst. Gibson has used it throughout the years and is very similar to the burst on an ES175 I once had. Of course a "real" Tri-Burst would be more along the lines of Jimmy Page's 68, or the Custom Shop reissue. But I think you did very well. And the weight should indicate a non-lightened body which to my ears is a plus.

View attachment 1313147 l

Nice top figuring on this one, which looks to be a LP Custom model (inlay, knobs, gold harware).

I've owned over 20 Les Pauls since 1984, one of my fav's and one I wish I still had was my 1975 Tobacco Sunburst Standard. Its the only Tobacco I've owned but strangely my favourite burst colour.
I own three Les Pauls now, and two of them are 2003 Honey Burst standards (one with Seymour Duncan antiquitys, the other with '57 Zebra reissues from Gibson), one thing I don't care much for with the newer LP's is the severity of the archtop. The 50's arch is the best, I believe they maintained that right up to the 80's. I had a '88 standard that had the flatter arch.
My Fav now is my 2006 Les Paul Custom Jimmy Page Signature, really its a collectors guitar, but to hell with it, I play it all the time, I love it......But I can feel a tobacco sunburst coming into my possession after seeing this thread....

Here's a pic of that 1975 Standard, this was the evening I bought it back in 1984, I borrowed my mothers car to travel into the city after work to the only music shop that had such instruments, it was fairly late when I got home, I had to wait until the morning to play it through the Fender Twin I bought a few weeks earlier....I remember it like it was yesterday.
My First Les Paul.jpeg

I've owned over 20 Les Pauls since 1984, one of my fav's and one I wish I still had was my 1975 Tobacco Sunburst Standard. Its the only Tobacco I've owned but strangely my favourite burst colour.
I own three Les Pauls now, and two of them are 2003 Honey Burst standards (one with Seymour Duncan antiquitys, the other with '57 Zebra reissues from Gibson), one thing I don't care much for with the newer LP's is the severity of the archtop. The 50's arch is the best, I believe they maintained that right up to the 80's. I had a '88 standard that had the flatter arch.
My Fav now is my 2006 Les Paul Custom Jimmy Page Signature, really its a collectors guitar, but to hell with it, I play it all the time, I love it......But I can feel a tobacco sunburst coming into my possession after seeing this thread....

Here's a pic of that 1975 Standard, this was the evening I bought it back in 1984, I borrowed my mothers car to travel into the city after work to the only music shop that had such instruments, it was fairly late when I got home, I had to wait until the morning to play it through the Fender Twin I bought a few weeks earlier....I remember it like it was yesterday.
View attachment 1314467

Nice-lookin' '75 'Burst, Kev. See it came w/ the Protector I case. Those were very nice cases, much preferred by me (and many others) to Gibson's Protector Case II, though I know folks who do prefer the latter. I'va had oodles of both and prefer the I.

Anyway, a nice '75 'Burst that managed to elude the "Clown Burst" top (finish) job that (cosmetically speaking) marred so many mid-'70s 'Bursts. The "top" @ your '75 appears to be of the 3-piece variety, yes? If it is, the builder who selected the pieces did a pretty good job @ putting together a product whiich, after the spray, has rather a coherent look. What's the (approximate) weight? IIRC, you're a "Marshall" guy: How does this one sound through, say, an '80s Marshall 100w > 4-12 cabinet @ "flat out" volume? Sustain? Crunch?

Nice-lookin' '75 'Burst, Kev. See it came w/ the Protector I case. Those were very nice cases, much preferred by me (and many others) to Gibson's Protector Case II, though I know folks who do prefer the latter. I'va had oodles of both and prefer the I.

Anyway, a nice '75 'Burst that managed to elude the "Clown Burst" top (finish) job that (cosmetically speaking) marred so many mid-'70s 'Bursts. The "top" @ your '75 appears to be of the 3-piece variety, yes? If it is, the builder who selected the pieces did a pretty good job @ putting together a product whiich, after the spray, has rather a coherent look. What's the (approximate) weight? IIRC, you're a "Marshall" guy: How does this one sound through, say, an '80s Marshall 100w > 4-12 cabinet @ "flat out" volume? Sustain? Crunch?

Yeah I thought those were the better cases, although the catches used to break on them easily IIRC. The protector II cases were too big and bulky...

It was a three piece top, correct.
I couldn't say what weight it was to be honest, I sold it in 1986 to buy a brand new 1986 Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty) it had those factory tuning pegs that used to fold out into a string winder.
So my memory of its weight is a little foggy....Although I do remember it was lighter than the Custom that replaced it.
Damn, I really wish I still had that guitar, it was a really good burst, I remember it felt better than the Custom and most others that followed, it was a real gem..
Yeah 1983 JCM800 2203 with a 1960A Classic (greenbacks) cab, yeah I never quite got the sound I had with that Tobacco Sunburst....We were playing Led Zep, Deep Purple, Bad Company, Free that sort of thing...I used to get quite a lot of positive feedback about my guitar sound, still do when I play live, which isn't that often any more sadly....
Really, the first guitar that's raised my eyebrows since then is my Jimmy Page Les Paul....man thats a nice guitar, really versatile sounds too....
Right, I'm looking for a Tobacco Sunburst!!
IMG_6499.JPG

Yeah I thought those were the better cases, although the catches used to break on them easily IIRC. The protector II cases were too big and bulky...

It was a three piece top, correct.
I couldn't say what weight it was to be honest, I sold it in 1986 to buy a brand new 1986 Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty) it had those factory tuning pegs that used to fold out into a string winder.
So my memory of its weight is a little foggy....Although I do remember it was lighter than the Custom that replaced it.
Damn, I really wish I still had that guitar, it was a really good burst, I remember it felt better than the Custom and most others that followed, it was a real gem..
Yeah 1983 JCM800 2203 with a 1960A Classic (greenbacks) cab, yeah I never quite got the sound I had with that Tobacco Sunburst....We were playing Led Zep, Deep Purple, Bad Company, Free that sort of thing...I used to get quite a lot of positive feedback about my guitar sound, still do when I play live, which isn't that often any more sadly....
Really, the first guitar that's raised my eyebrows since then is my Jimmy Page Les Paul....man thats a nice guitar, really versatile sounds too....
Right, I'm looking for a Tobacco Sunburst!!
View attachment 1314877

I wouldn't mind playing and (moreover) "owning" one of Jimmy Page's Lesters from his collection.
:music::music:

IIRC, they sounded pretty good through HIWATT gear, my "preference" re: big wattage Brit all-tube amplification. Sorta partial to the 50w heads -- easier to OD "naturally" than the 100w variety, and easier still if you run it outta Celestion 12s instead of HIWATT cabs' original Fane 12s.

Weight is 9 pounds 8 ounce
lps are hens teeth in my local so I got a epiphone lp std. pelham blue and same weight. hmm wondered about that. Anyway I installed pair of gold semour duncan 59' sh-1 buckers. previous owner installed a bigsby trem shown above that I converted back to orig tail.

Congrats on the Les Paul. Took me a long time to get one. A Cherry-burst standard was my "bucket list" guitar.

Got this one out last evening for a cleaning up. 2001 LP Classic Plus. I'm not the original owner and the original ceramic pickups were long gone when I got it. Now has Sheptone AB pickups, CTS pots, and Sprague Hyrel PIO caps (if you believe in cap magic, but heck, for $10 what the hell).

Anyone want to help me figure out what color it is? Maybe Honeyburst or Ice Tea?

I'm thinning the herd and this is one that has to go. Even though I have pretty small hands, I'm not a huge fan of the slim-taper neck. Part of me says keep it due to all the issues with Gibson. They don't make them like this any longer (one-piece bodies, rosewood boards, etc.) unless you move up the ladder.

IMG_0642.JPG

I'll keep this one. Loaded with Jim Wagner Fillmore pickups.

IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPG

Back
Top Bottom