Was there a time when silver face gear was considered obsolete?

In the mid 80s, you could buy some components in either silver or black. My Nakamichi BX-100 was heavily discounted because it was the silver version, when my Dad bought it new in 1985.

Black was "in", silver was "out"... silver stereo gear was like owning a beige computer today, or using a flip phone.

Also, I don't recall there ever being silver audio gear, it was brushed aluminum... maybe that's splitting hairs :)

And are all worth a fraction of the old ones.

The comparable to your examples would be the Dodge Hellcats and Mustang GT500’s, GM hasn’t done much yet. Time will tell on those, most of the “experts” think they will be the same as the classics when they are old. :dunno:

We shall see

Edit: and also the appeal of way better performance for penny’s on the dollar.

Last edited:
I must not of gotten the memo. I never dumped any of my 70's silver faced gear. (But I live in the Midwest, an area where nobody throws anything away).

Seeing how worthless modern AV receivers are after a few years has made me wonder, was there ever a time when the stuff we cherish now was considered worthless old junk and regularly just scrapped? An example would be the TOTL 2000's AV receivers like the Yamaha DSP-A1, four figures new, too old for the HT guys and a small following amongst the 2 channel crowd mean they're worth very little. Was there a time when monster receIvers like the SX1980 were considered outdated junk?
No.

Much preferred the Silver and Gold face plates before the anodized black look came along in the 70's. I couldn't believe Altec gave up their dark green to change to black. after JBL bought UREI they changed to all black. Yamaha changed as did Denon and countless other companies. Mcintosh was always a classic black after the C-26/2505 and 2105. before that they were 50/50 sharing with Anodized gold. Even todays C-22III shares the 50/50 with the original C-22 from the 60's. All my Macs are black now, but my Crowns from the late 70's are still a nice textured Silver, as our my old UREI crossovers and a JVC S-VHS. I kind of wish Marantz had stayed with the Gold like Accuphase. There some very high end pieces that are silver today and I see silver spreading around. Its a nice look. MBL and Steinway like Mcintosh look great with their very expensive Black finishes. I like the look of wood so units in the past used.

I actually never cared for the silver faced stuff but it’s all that was available when I started buying stuff I could afford.

Yep. 70 Chevelle SS 454, Hemi Road Runners, refillable Butane lighters, steel ice chests, record players, and many other items were considered obsolete by the general public. As soon as surround sound came out the average consumer put his stereo gear at the curb. We all know how that worked out.
Not sure those exact two cars ever made it to obsolescence. But I get your point.
I still have my 1970 six pack Bee.

When I was young everything was silver faced in the stereo stores when I was shopping for stereo gear for my girl friends system. Years later I decided I needed a stereo system and walked into the same big stereo store, I wasn't there 5 minutes and walked out.
Everything was black faced and difficult to read the control legends, that was in a well lit store. I would need a flash light in my living room. I quickly gave up the idea of a nice stereo for myself.
It was many years later that a new girl friend wanted a system for her daughter and I started looking for vintage gear at the flea markets.
That vintage gear pulled me in "hook, line and sinker".
I do have a few pieces of black face gear now and I do keep a small flash light on my stereo rack for identifying controls that I don't often use. Who the F*** ever figured that dark lettering on a black face was a good idea?
Long live silver face gear!

BillWojo

Seeing how worthless modern AV receivers are after a few years has made me wonder, was there ever a time when the stuff we cherish now was considered worthless old junk and regularly just scrapped? An example would be the TOTL 2000's AV receivers like the Yamaha DSP-A1, four figures new, too old for the HT guys and a small following amongst the 2 channel crowd mean they're worth very little. Was there a time when monster receIvers like the SX1980 were considered outdated junk?
around the early 80's when 'champagne' and then black was in vogue (and then it was BMC - black METAL case) the old silver was scrapped by the ton. a mistake. sort of like throwing away old camaros.

and make no mistake, while the new stuff adopted features electronically that were prone to failure, I know for a fact (owning many that are still almost daily in use) the late 80's/early 90's pioneer vsx line was nearly bulletproof and had all the whiz bang specs, plus the soundfields that attracted everyone in the first place.

Yep, every new muscle car from the big three will spank them, handle better and get way better gas mileage. And this comes from a guy doing a 65 Galaxie.

:beerchug:

Edit: And my parents steel Coleman I have isn’t close to my Yeti for Ice retention.
very true and heck, a ecoboost edge will spank almost all of them. BUT, any moron with 600 credit can get a new edge today in any quantity and in 5 years it will be worthless rusted junk bringing $1000 at an auto auction, but the same same big 3 muscle starts at $30K at the auctions. (I know I have lived a long life when I saw a numbers match 396 chevelle pull 6 digits at barret)

Back
Top Bottom