Anyone traded in camera equipment? What's your experience?

Old thread, but I just sent in a couple of Nikon lenses to MPB for trade on a used AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
lens. They offered me much more than KEH did. I'm waiting to hear back if they downgraded the lenses or not.

I have always considered cameras like automobiles. Once your drive them out of the camera store they are automatically worth 50% of what they were worth new.

I have always considered cameras like automobiles. Once your drive them out of the camera store they are automatically worth 50% of what they were worth new.

I think cameras hold their value better than cars. A lot of times I see used gear selling for just a tad under new price.

And 35mm film cameras for the most part are hardly worth anything anymore. I'm probably going to get my kiddo her own 35mm setup, as I can get her the body and a couple of nice lenses for under $100. It's just a matter of finding a 35mm that doesn't eat through batteries. (I'd prefer rechargeable but I don't think camera-specific NiMH batteries existed back then like they do now.

I recently got a Zorki 4K and 1956 (year I was born) Jupiter8 lens off eBay.it made me look at what else is out there. I fancy getting a Nikon F5 some day. There’s no way I could afford one when they were new!

If I was to get a film camera it would probably be an F100. F5's are just too big and heavy for me to want to mess with. Also I figure it's probably easier to find an F100 in good shape. F5's were (generally speaking) used pretty hard.

As far as selling gear- I just sold all my DX Nikon lenses on ebay and was very pleased at the prices I got for them. I probably would up paying more in fees than I "lost" due to selling them for less than I paid for them.

Old thread, but I just sent in a couple of Nikon lenses to MPB for trade on a used AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
lens. They offered me much more than KEH did. I'm waiting to hear back if they downgraded the lenses or not.

Update: While I was waiting for MPB to receive and inspect my lenses, the price dropped by $50 on the 17-55 f/2.8 I was trading for. They gave me that price drop, but they downgraded one of the lenses I sent in. They offered me $15 less than they did before seeing it. All in all I think I got a nice deal on a $1500 (for a new one) lens for $342. It's a great walk around lens for my D500.

I noticed that KEH seems to have a much larger selection of product than MPB. We now have a Nikon N80 in the house, and I'm looking for some affordable lenses for it. They have many over a wide price range, so this will probably be my next stop if we decide to get another lens.

I noticed that KEH seems to have a much larger selection of product than MPB. We now have a Nikon N80 in the house, and I'm looking for some affordable lenses for it. They have many over a wide price range, so this will probably be my next stop if we decide to get another lens.

When I was looking for my lens that was not the case. The lenses they had were more expensive also. I bought a used fisheye last year and once agin, MPB had the better deal.

I've been thinking about selling my 2011 Panasonic Lumix GH-2 micro 4/3 camera. And replacing it with a newer Lumix GH or Olympus body. Something with built in image stabilization. The lenses I bought over the years are still holding their own for quality and price. So I'm keeping those.

This year I bought two used native Sony E-mount primes from the National Camera Exchange for the Sony Alpha. The older 35mm and 55mm Zeiss primes, recently made a 10 best Sony Lens list. So I couldn't be happier. Saved $400 on the two.

Update: While I was waiting for MPB to receive and inspect my lenses, the price dropped by $50 on the 17-55 f/2.8 I was trading for. They gave me that price drop, but they downgraded one of the lenses I sent in. They offered me $15 less than they did before seeing it. All in all I think I got a nice deal on a $1500 (for a new one) lens for $342. It's a great walk around lens for my D500.

OK I gotta be honest here - there's only one "walk around" lens I would consider for the D500 and that's the Nikon 16-80. There's just no way I could do with a (older design) lens without VR for general use. And don't forget the speed difference isn't quite as much as you might think since the 16-80 is f/3.5 or so at 55mm. Having said that you did get a pretty decent deal on that 17-55.

OK I gotta be honest here - there's only one "walk around" lens I would consider for the D500 and that's the Nikon 16-80

Except that I'm not a fan of plastic "kit" lenses and have no need for VR on this lens. I traded in a kit lens and have VR on my 70-200mm f/2.8, which I use about 80% of the time. I shoot a lot of high school sports, including football under the lights and basketball indoors.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom