C-33 Buy I Want, Have I Must

Thrill Kille

Outside of Terry DeWick and Audio Classics. I don't know of any other places as a Reliable places for vintage Mac gear. I've purchased from both Terry and AC. They're all I know of as shops that restore and bring gear up to spec before they sell it.

Are there other shops that do the same thing? I have enough for a C-33 B or better? It's the one I've decided on.

George Meyer AV is an McIntosh authorized service center, in Los Angeles, who also happens to sell refurbished equipment.
They don't currently have a C33 listed, but I believe that you can contact them and be put on a waiting list.

George Meyer AV is an McIntosh authorized service center, in Los Angeles, who also happens to sell refurbished equipment.
They don't currently have a C33 listed, but I believe that you can contact them and be put on a waiting list.

Thank You,

I have a C-34 and really enjoy the piece. I did add a MP-100 to get the flexibility and a little different bass sound I prefer, that couldn't be duplicated with tone controls. But the flexibility , options and qualities of restored C-33's and 34's are superb. Its a shame none of the current models far as flexible. I enjoy the record selector, mode selector, the ability to insert the tone controls and dynamic expander into the listening functions. The compressor is great for making Tapes or CD for the car where you need to control the dynamic range. Processing loops are a great feature, too. I guess Mac thinks no one records anything anymore. They just stream their music. I guess I am to old school..

Outside of Terry DeWick and Audio Classics. I don't know of any other places as a Reliable places for vintage Mac gear. I've purchased from both Terry and AC. They're all I know of as shops that restore and bring gear up to spec before they sell it.

Are there other shops that do the same thing? I have enough for a C-33 B or better? It's the one I've decided on.
Everything on display at Audio Classics, looks showroom new. It's unreal, really. If they have what you are looking for, buy from them with confidence. It's less than a two hour drive for me to visit A.C, and I feel like I'm walking into a time machine of sorts, when I view their offerings.

If you don't mind a drive to Portland contact Kurt at Echo Audio. He is straight up guy. Call him and tell him what you are looking and he'll let you know when he gets it. I've bought several pieces of gear from him over the years. I've always been treated fairly by him.

If you don't mind a drive to Portland contact Kurt at Echo Audio. He is straight up guy. Call him and tell him what you are looking and he'll let you know when he gets it. I've bought several pieces of gear from him over the years. I've always been treated fairly by him.

Thanks, Portland is just 2 hr drive!

A C-34v is also on the list now too. So, what Kind, Brand of Dac would work as a Go-Between from my MacBook Pro w/Toslink Out, to a Dac, for Analog signal to Mac Preamp?

X2 on Echo Audio. Kurt and his crew there are great to deal with and he will negotiate on price. I've purchased a few items from him and I can tell you he stands behind the sale.

X2 on Echo Audio. Kurt and his crew there are great to deal with and he will negotiate on price. I've purchased a few items from him and I can tell you he stands behind the sale.
I actually bought my C33 from Echo Audio.
They didn't have the original box, but knew how to pack it so it arrived unscathed. If you can make the drive, even better.

I'm not sure what, if any, maintenance Echo did to it, but after a few years, I started having issues (noise, channels dropping out) only while turning the controls. I still wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them. I didn't even consider trying to negotiate the price, and I find that their pricing is usually very reasonable. They currently have a nice C37 listed, which, although doesn't appeal to me aesthetically, is reported by @twiiii be one of the better sounding vintage McIntosh preamps.

I use I tunes and Apple TV. I bitch and complain that the down loads don't sound like the original CD's or LP's, but then no one else's do either. MY MX 151 has really been a step up and has helped in that regard, too.

When I was upgrading my system 10 years ago, has it been that long, well maybe 8 years I had the constraint of buying a pre amp that was only 16" wide and would fit my Panlocs. Frank Gow of AC said that absolutely the C-37 was the best 16 inch wide pre amp Mac ever made. But I wanted the ultimate flexibility and didn't need a remote control so I went with a C-34V. If I had not only the extra width, but the extra depth, I would have gone with a C-40. I had always hoped Mac would wake up and put a MC input on the C-40 add two more graphic controls and call it a C-44, but they never did. It would be a number one on the pre-owned ballot if they had with us old timers. They could have added remote vol and balance for all I cared to keep the younger generations happy. How bout a remote tape monitor switch, now there is something really useful. Or a remote tone control by pass switch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom