Marantz 2285B Restoration Complete

Zenith4me

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just wanted to express how happy I am with the restoration performed by our very own member Catrafter (Tom) on my Marantz 2285B. He kept me well informed with emails and pictures discussing the progress which was appreciated.

I also had a new black faceplate installed that I got from another member, wlhd1610 (Bob). I was vacillating back and forth a bit on a silver or black faceplate but now that it’s sitting in front of me I’m glad that I went with the black faceplate. It’s absolutely stunning!

Besides looking beautiful it is now a fantastic performing beast!

Carter

2258B_Black.jpg Transformer.jpg

Congrats and hope you enjoy as much as i have been enjoying my fully restored 2245 by Bob (wlhd1610) .. that black faceplate looks really nice, i been thinking about getting one

Wow. Absolutely beautiful work, and stunning final product, as you would expect from Tom. Congrats!

Not to one up but here’s my original “e” blackface. Not sure if Bob has seen this one. This is one of the nicest looking I can think of… The 2285B is a great piece of work.

upload_2018-11-10_19-50-42.jpeg

Last edited:
A bit different than yours.

i also have the WC-22 for the 2285B ;) but it is different then the standard WC-22 which has 3 vent holes in the bottom the one for the 2285B only has one vent hole on the right as that is where the amp boards are. i think it may have been sold included with the 2285B as an option and not separately but im not sure about that. thats the case mine came with but had no metal cover, ive seen a few 2285B for sale with wood cases that did not have metal covers as well thats what got me thinking that. i found a cover from a 2238B i think it was that is the same size.

20171212_083821 (800x450).jpg

Last edited:
ive seen a few 2285B for sale with wood cases that did not have metal covers as well thats what got me thinking that. i found a cover from a 2238B i think it was that is the same size
That was how I bought mine. Wood case, no metal cover. No chipped paint on the holes where the cover would have been screwed down. IE.. no metal cover ever so the case is an OEM supplied option. Not added at some point.

The image is from my re-veneering effort. You can see the bottom cutout which matches yours. The case unlike newer ones is plywood, not MDF.

In my mind, the wooden cabinet really shows off the 2285B as the high end unit it was. I'm seriously considering one of the black faces now :D You guys are evil..
IMG_5705.jpg

That was how I bought mine

awesome that confirms what i thought :thumbsup: could never really find any info about it and the owners manual i have says the WC-122 which is the one i have on now is the one that can be purchased to go with it. Do you have the original manual? maybe its a little different then the hifi engine download

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom