The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Yikes i would not want to balance a table as heavy as the Sota on those Wagner type isolation pads. Don't think it would be all that stable.

I never had any so I don't know they're density, but I can see your point if they are soft, they will continually compact.

I never had any so I don't know they're density, but I can see your point if they are soft, they will continually compact.

Those look to be cut down versions of the Wagner AC pad. I know Mapleshade sells them as do other folks. I just bought the pads from a supplier as they come in 4 inch squares that are 3/4 or 1 inch thick. Those would be stable, but the ones that are sold on the market are usually cut down into 1 inch squares, and a stack of them directly under Sota turntable feet would not have the stability I would be comfortable with.

Those pads are a combination of rubber with cork on the middle layer. they are somewhat immune from compressing, but they are certainly going to have some give to them. And the Sota is a heavy table, and those are stacked 2 or 3 tall as I see from the picture.

Cheers
Mister Pig

I have the 2”x2” cork and rubber pads under the feet of my Star. Not so much for isolation but to get a little more height to accomodate my phono cable. I only have one under each foot and it is quite stable. I was thinking about getting some myrtle blocks just because they look so much nicer but they are quite expensive for my purposes.

What I do you will see in the photo. The cork/rubber sandwich pads, go underneath and support the maple platform. The audio unit sets on top of the brass footers with their points penetrating the maple slab. To do this you first put the footers points up, and place your audio unit on top of the points of the footers. Once in place, you then turn the footers over one at a time so the base of the footer is now under your gear and the points are penetrating the maple. Right now I don't have a maple slab for the MP100. I just have it up on some small footers to provide venation for the CD player. I'll see if I can get one for a Christmas present. They are only $130.

DSC_0007.jpg

Wow a SOTA specific owners thread. Fantastic! Pardon if this question had been asked as haven’t gone through the entire thread .

I’m not digging the the light oak finish plinth of my Sapphire. It’ doesn’t match my existing gear. I’d like a darker finish and get rid of the “lines” typically seen on oak. Would it be ok to refinish the wood w/o disassembling the table or should I just have another plith made from scratch. Hope you AKers had a wonderful Thanksgiving and thank you for your input.

Wow a SOTA specific owners thread. Fantastic! Pardon if this question had been asked as haven’t gone through the entire thread .

I’m not digging the the light oak finish plinth of my Sapphire. It’ doesn’t match my existing gear. I’d like a darker finish and get rid of the “lines” typically seen on oak. Would it be ok to refinish the wood w/o disassembling the table or should I just have another plith made from scratch. Hope you AKers had a wonderful Thanksgiving and thank you for your input.
Sigh, I have been thinking the exact same thing on my Star.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Just keep rubbing a dark wood oil into it. I had a blonde Linn a few decades ago and I did that. It darkened with time.

Changing the wood finish is on my list for mine. The oak is really not my thing.

how do you plan on doing this? . Im thinking of applying a few thin coats of this grain filler then paint or stain it with a darker finish.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Coat-Filler-Drying-Environmentally/dp/B00LEFWGWA

Just keep rubbing a dark wood oil into it. I had a blonde Linn a few decades ago and I did that. It darkened with time.

not a bad idea. I just need to get rid of the grain oak lines

how do you plan on doing this? . Im thinking of applying a few thin coats of this grain filler then paint or stain it with a darker finish.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Coat-Filler-Drying-Environmentally/dp/B00LEFWGWA

not a bad idea. I just need to get rid of the grain oak lines

Id just sand it with about 200 grit sand paper . Then find a darker color of Howards restoration a finish. Rub that in till you get the shade you want.
Then use Howards Feed and Wax . I prefer no varnish or poly's on wood, natural feel is what I preffer.

Nashou

Is this going to turn into a refinishing thread?

I'm a professional finisher for over 38 years and this is my turntable thread, I don't want to talk about finishing here please.

Somewhere on this board 4-2-7 has a good pictorial on the disassembly and adjustment of a Sota Reflex clamp. This afternoon I went through and adjusted mine, as it was a bit inconsistent on firmly gripping the spindle, and depending on record thickness, having trouble firmly clamping a record down. More than once i found the clamp to have a small degree of space between it and the record when I was done playing.

So I made the adjustments, and what I found is that the soundstage grew significantly in the edges. Performers gained space between them, and the height of the stage increased. Also leading edge of notes became sharper, while the table maintained that flowing presentation.

I would agree that if you do not have the clamp properly adjusted, you are not hearing what is available with the table.

Cheers
Mister Pig

A place called vintage analog restoration makes custom plinths. The challenge is he doesn’t have a pattern (plinth fo SOTA Sapphire) to work with.. This would include choices of oak, cherry, maple, mahogany or walnut.
What about in piano black? Hmmm.

https://vintageanalogrestoration.com/

Anyone have a table apart who can take measurements of the plinth? Thank You.

Last edited:
A place called vintage analog restoration makes custom plinths. The challenge is he doesn’t have a pattern (plinth fo SOTA Sapphire) to work with. plinths start at $250 plus shipping. This would include choices of oak, cherry, maple, mahogany or walnut.
What about in piano black? Hmmm.

https://vintageanalogrestoration.com/

Anyone have a table apart who can take measurements of the plinth? Thank You.

Vintage Analog Restoration is Larry Spence, and he happens to be a member of AK. If you want a copy of your Sota plinth you are going to have to send him yours. He did one for my Technics SP 10 MK II, but I ended up having to send him the table to get things to line up correctly. There is a lot going under the bonnet of the Sota, I doubt he would be able to replicate all of it without having one on hand. And I seriously doubt a Sota plinth is going to cost $250.

Oh BTW, advertising gear for sale in the open forum is not allowed in the site rules. I am sure you have those pieces listed in Bartertown as you are a subscriber. You might want to edit your tag line.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Back
Top Bottom