So you want to understand Stylus Shapes? Try this!

From worst to good... how do you rank the stylus tips? Example: conical, elliptical, MicroLine contact, micro ridge, shibata, etc, etc.?

From worst to good... how do you rank the stylus tips? Example: conical, elliptical, MicroLine contact, micro ridge, shibata, etc, etc.?
For accurate tracing of modern post CD-4 microgroove LPs, any of the line contact tips are preferable to spherical, elliptical, biradial tips.
However, horses for courses. Pre CD-4 era LPs may be optimal with biradial /elliptical or spherical tips. Dynagroove stereophonic records were specifically cut for optimal playback with spherical tip, but nothing else was available in the pre-stereophonic era.

Earl: I'd rather suggest to remove that chart, as it obviously contains quite a few bugs.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Earl: AT's old chart in post #9 of Flavio's original thread over on VE looks pretty ok.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

New chart instead of the other one. :D
Stylidiagrams.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get it: How can the contact patch of an elliptical be greater than that of a spherical with the same bearing radius? Is this a byproduct of the polishing?

I don't get it: How can the contact patch of an elliptical be greater than that of a spherical with the same bearing radius? Is this a byproduct of the polishing?
No it's not true unless the stylus us press g harder on the vinyl and making as larger contact area with extra force due to the smaller profile.

Back
Top Bottom