The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Ok, I believe me and the reflex clamp are good to go now. I got on my bathroom scale again so I can know how hard I am pushing the clamp down. I just did three trails on the same record and each time I pushed down 10 lbs, and each time the clamp stayed in contact with the records surface.
Last night's attempts were not measured, and I'll bet I only pushed down 7 lbs.
So I'm happy with my clamp and sota now.
It sounds simply fantastic and well worth all the effort and expense!
You know you can always have a nice block of wood you can slip under the sub-chassie prior to putting the clamp on.

Nova III was delivered by Donna in person the day before Thanksgiving. Although my amplifier upgrades haven't been completed yet, this thing is just beautiful in every way. Only problem is when I went to organize and clean the space where it lives, I successfully misplaced the pads for the spiked feet. Way to go on that one, but I already ordered a new set. Anyway, this sits on an uneven carpeted floor and a stand that's not exactly "stable." I was wondering if putting sorbothane dampeners under the maple isolation block would help with footfalls and vibrations. It's very sensitive if you walk in front of it and will start to skip. Not really much I could do with the flooring or stand situation.

Attachments

• NOVA.jpg
    NOVA.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 41
You're going to have to get that off the floor. Ever thought about a wall mount. Better than any shelf.

It's very sensitive if you walk in front of it and will start to skip
How much travel does the Nova's suspension have? Normally the sensitivity you describe happens if the footers are touching the sub-chassis and not allowing it to float on the springs.

I'm thinking along the lines of mrpince above. If you feet are screwed in too far, this will limit the travel of the sub-chassis. I would make sure your feet are screwed in as little as possible to get the greatest spring travel of the chassis.I also would not expect too much help from a maple block or those cork feet making any difference with foot-falls. I think I could jump up and down in front of my SOTA and it would not skip.

You know you can always have a nice block of wood you can slip under the sub-chassie prior to putting the clamp on.

Thats an interesting thought.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Yep thats what I do, as you can see in this pic I have a left over Piece of 2x2 Cumera wood from my record storage stand under the SOTA.
I pull it out past the sub chassis when playing and push it under the bearing plate to remove and instal my clamp.

46034042721_5611d7ce5e_k.jpg

Yep thats what I do, as you can see in this pic I have a left over Piece of 2x2 Cumera wood from my record storage stand under the SOTA.
I pull it out past the sub chassis when playing and push it under the bearing plate to remove and instal my clamp.

Yes it could help the springs last and keep the platter from hitting the top of the motor on Sapphire models.

However I never need to force down on my clamps unless it's a dished record and I don't have many like that. Basically I drop the clamp on the spindle and the force of flipping the lever is all I need to push down.

Yes it could help the springs last and keep the platter from hitting the top of the motor on Sapphire models.

However I never need to force down on my clamps unless it's a dished record and I don't have many like that. Basically I drop the clamp on the spindle and the force of flipping the lever is all I need to push down.

I need to get a SOTA reflex clamp. Now I'm just using one I got from Ebay. Its the screw type, one thing tho I noticed it eats the clamp material little bits at a time. So eventually it will wear out. But for 34 bucks its not bad.

Last edited:
I need to get a SOTA reflex clamp. Now I'm just using one I got form Ebay. Its the screw type, one thing tho I noticed it eats the clam material little bits at a time. So eventually it will wear out. But for 34 bucks its not bad.

Call SOTA, they usually stock refurbished/reworked reflex clamps at a discount.

Nova III was delivered by Donna in person the day before Thanksgiving. Although my amplifier upgrades haven't been completed yet, this thing is just beautiful in every way. Only problem is when I went to organize and clean the space where it lives, I successfully misplaced the pads for the spiked feet. Way to go on that one, but I already ordered a new set. Anyway, this sits on an uneven carpeted floor and a stand that's not exactly "stable." I was wondering if putting sorbothane dampeners under the maple isolation block would help with footfalls and vibrations. It's very sensitive if you walk in front of it and will start to skip. Not really much I could do with the flooring or stand situation.
Ahhh, so the Nova 3 has vacuum adjustment. Mine doesnt. Its exactly the same as whats on Sotas website.

Hang on, I was confused. Mine must be a Nova 5.
Here it is in the house.grace.jpg

Last edited:

I have an older reflex clamp with the slotted screw inside the Collet at the top. The clamp is snug around the spindle when applying, but when clamping down it feels very soft and there is no resistance when pushing down on the lever. There is no set screw to adjust and the clamping lever is worn where it hits and pushes down on the center pin. Is there any adjustment that can be made or do I just need to replace the lever? The slotted screw just spins around when I try to turn it with a screw driver.

I have an older reflex clamp with the slotted screw inside the Collet at the top. The clamp is snug around the spindle when applying, but when clamping down it feels very soft and there is no resistance when pushing down on the lever. There is no set screw to adjust and the clamping lever is worn where it hits and pushes down on the center pin. Is there any adjustment that can be made or do I just need to replace the lever? The slotted screw just spins around when I try to turn it with a screw driver.

Ok, I think I figured it out and disassembled and cleaned it. The threaded brass piece, that they now use a nylon piece for, is stuck and cannot be removed. I tried to soak it in some WD-40 but it won't budge. Someone really tightened it on there good. I turned over the metal washer and that helped some with the clamping. The lever kind of snaps into place now. The lever itself has a worn spot on it though where it comes into contact with the top of the threaded brass piece. But when I did the paper trick, the paper gripped good when the clamp was seated, but then when I pushed down the lever, it would lift up the clamp base, instead of pulling it down to record, like it is supposed to. The paper at that point would just slide right out. I'm guessing that there are no more adjustments that can be made since I cannot get the brass piece loose.

I love the black top, it's beautiful. What model is it?
Mine is all oak, but I'm lucky just to have it.

This is an early Sapphire (SN 14xxx) with the Series V platter and sapphire bearing assembly upgrades. I do think I am going to need to do a spring replacement on it though. I cannot get both the sub-chassis and the plinth level at the same time and the sub-chassis is hanging down about 1/4" on the left side compared to about 1/8" on the right. I don't even need the lead shot or slugs either.

Back
Top Bottom