Crosley Taking On U-Turn

leemelone

Crosley has released the C8 in what appears to be a shot at taking on the U-Turn Orbit. It has basically the same styling as the Orbit with an exposed motor and belt. However it has many of the features included in the base price that the U-Turn doesn't as well as some that they don't offer. As of this writing, the Crosley C8 can be had for less than $200 with free shipping. For that you get a AT 3600L cartridge, cueing lever, detachable head shell, adjustable tonearm weight, adjustable anti-skate, built in pre-amp, wood finish plinth and adjustable pitch controls. It appears that someone at Crosley has been reading the U-Turn reviews and has addressed many of the complaints customers have by adding these features at no extra cost. I saw this recently posted video review and was pretty impressed for an entry level table. If I were U-Turn Audio, I would be afraid, very afraid. ;)

Last edited:
Crosley has released the C8 in what appears to be a shot at taking on the U-Turn Orbit. It has basically the same styling as the Orbit with an exposed motor and belt. However it has many of the features included in the base price that the U-Turn doesn't as well as some that they don't offer. As of this writing, the Crosley C8 can be had for less than $200 with free shipping. For that you get a AT 3600L cartridge, cueing lever, detachable head shell, adjustable tonearm weight, adjustable anti-skate, built in pre-amp, wood veneer plinth and adjustable pitch controls. It appears that someone at Crosley has been reading the U-Turn reviews and has addressed many of the complaints customers have by adding these features at no extra cost. I saw this recently posted video review and was pretty impressed at the quality for an entry level table. If I were U-Turn Audio, I would be afraid, very afraid. ;)

That "wood veneer plinth" looks like cheap wood grain vinyl to me:

71C-o3xRyEL._SL1500_.jpg

Well 200 dollars today is not a lot of money, I wouldn't expect to impress anyone at my local audiophile society club meeting this month with one of either of those players.

I am not impressed with the $200 entry level tables in general preferring used vintage but I have to say this table looks like a good value for a new to vinyl listener who doesn’t know anything about buying a vintage table.
The cueing lever is a must for any table and yes it probably is vinyl and not veneer but it looks like a solid piece of kit.

I also noticed that the silver steel platter looks similar aesthetically to the acrylic platter when it's in use. They also used much better quality hinges on the dust cover and you can change speeds without having to move the belt. They are clearly paying attention to the issues people are having with the Orbit.

A lot of people will still not buy one just because of the stigma with the brand name. But yeah, these super cheap tables are getting better with counterweights and anti-skate and the rest. As for U-Turn facing competition, it was only a matter of time. Look at the Pro-Ject Essential and Elemental series also.

I suppose they could be looking at Orbit, but I don't know. Many companies are coming out with new turntables that have a vintage look and some are better or worse than others.

Every one wants a slice of the market.

One can design a turn table with all the necessary feature plus some extras.

The out come depends on the execution, how well made will it be.

Will it last more than six days, six months or a year or two?

Some company have a pretty good track record on reliability, others need to do some catch up.

You decide which you would take a chance on.

A lot of the hipsters like the old wooden look, like the ole Pioneer PL-15.

The fake wooden look give you an indication of who they are trying to attract. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for finding a slight flaw in the wording of my post but you kind of missed my point.

It's not a slight flaw in wording, it's a factual error. Wood veneer is not the same thing as wood grain vinyl, just like stainless steel is not the same thing as aluminum foil. When I read
wood veneer plinth (I see you edited your post to change the wording), I immediately did a google image search to see what it looked like. From the photos, I could see that is is not wood veneer.

My observation wasn't meant to be personal. I didn't know if the wording was yours, or you were rattling off the feature list from the manufacturer's product description.

The reason I focused on that particular "feature" was your assertion that this is a potential U-turn killer. U-turn actually does offer versions of their products with real hardwood bases:

shopping

Of course the vinyl clad Crosely costs less. I'd expect it to.

Last edited:
Compared to other Crosley brand turntables for sale, it presents features typical of a serious turntable with brand name cartridge, removable headshell, counterweight, anti-skate, etc. However, at a glance on my phone, it's reminiscent of a Sankyo or a Capehart back in the 70's wrapping Pioneer or Sansui style around lower quality build and materials. That being said, I'm not slamming the Sankyos, Capeharts and Crosleys of the world. I've always been a supporter of people buying what they like or can afford to enjoy listening to LPs.

My first Stereo was from my father purchased through a Fingerhut catalog. AM/FM 8 track player which included speakers. All gloriously wrapped in vinyl veneer. No turntable. It died quickly and my father got it replaced through Fingerhut. The second one died almost as quickly. I had the bug by now, so I worked in my father's shop and saved up and got a ride to Tech HiFi by my brother. Bought a used Sansui 210 and a BSR 2510x turntable. Cut off the 8 track and wired it up. Tore the speakers off the Symphonic console and had my first rig. I'm sure I took some life out of my records with this setup, but it was enough to get me on an upgrade cycle that has lasted to the present. Except I don't do trade ups anymore. So my collection is growing. Come to think of it, I may have a problem... Damn that Fingerhut gateway to addiction!:yikes:

Looks alright... for the money.
I’m more surprised they market it as a “Crosley,” instead of under another name.

Ben

Compare to the VPI Cliffwood, at $895.

The parts for the Cliffwood, delivered to the VPI factory in NJ, are about $200. That's what good bearings and machined aluminum cost.

People are still using VPI turntables from the early 90s, and they show no sign of wearing out. That is the advantage of high-quality component parts. It's pretty likely that a properly-maintained Cliffwood will still be spinning vinyl in 20 years.

The impression I get of the U-Turn is that it is somewhere in-between. They try to make a solid TT, but have to hold down costs and make compromises.

We can all be snobs and look down our collective noses at the TT and the brand, but I applaud them for a) capturing a bigger slice of the market than anyone else and b) clearly stepping it up a notch or two to attract slightly more serious buyers.

I reckon it could be a popular Xmas stocking stuffer this year and well done to them. Take it for what it is, probably $200 well spent for a beginner or a retro present for grandpa to play his old records that have been stored for years in the basement.

Last edited:
Such spitefulness! Why cold-shoulder this? We preach budget performance and when it arrives, we thumb our noses at them.

I’d say ‘Thank you companies. We have variety again. Thank you!’

It wasn’t too long ago that we were in a bleak situation. We were merely scraping along and others were taking advantage of us.

Today, we want cheaper and better. They keep on trying to please us yet we keep ragging on. So, what happens when we push them away too many times? I’ll tell you – we go to the vinyl dark ages again. Even if record playing is a passing fashion, I welcome it because it is forward movement and more competition is good.

A side-step here.

If we do not consider new efforts, then should not consider the “Heyday” Turntable at Target. It is belt driven, a dust cover, has the latest thing Audio Technica cartridge, comes with a built in preamp, anti-skating control, cueing, a built in Bluetooth wireless connection, and sells for under $100.

Before you light the flamethrowers – even an audiophile likes the Heyday.

He says, “To me this is like the ultimate beginner’s turntable,” and, “You cannot go wrong with the Heyday wireless turntable from Target. It is that good.”

BTW: I have better than average turntables. I started with a bottom feeder. I still have it. Yet I still praise any real efforts to forward our hobby. I’m considering checking out the Target Heyday turntable. It is in stock at my local Target.

Back
Top Bottom