The P-Mount owners club

FWIW the best p-mount I've heard is the Technics 310MC. Just and outstanding cartridge all the way around. I have a few of these and am still trying to hunt down a Dynavector DV-10P. Hard to find...

FWIW the best p-mount I've heard is the Technics 310MC. Just and outstanding cartridge all the way around. I have a few of these and am still trying to hunt down a Dynavector DV-10P. Hard to find...
I have a 310MC, freshly retipped with a microline on a boron rod that I'll evenually get around to trying. For now, the nude tombstone tipped Digitrac O'fons continue to please.

My "best" turntable is sidelined for upgrades, one of my SL-7s with the Digitrac is standing in for it. My beater record casual listening table is a Pioneer PL-L1000 with a Shure M91 with aftermarket elliptical stylus.

After I "converted" to standard mount last year, I got rid of almost all of my p-mount equipment and I had some high-end stuff too, including a Technics SL-Q30 and an ADC PSX-40. I sold all that stuff :( I regret it a bit now. Last night I had a dream that I had all my p-mount stuff back. I like my standard-mount listening experience, but I got some good sound of my p-mount setup. I might consider getting into that again.

After I "converted" to standard mount last year, I got rid of almost all of my p-mount equipment and I had some high-end stuff too, including a Technics SL-Q30 and an ADC PSX-40. I sold all that stuff :( I regret it a bit now. Last night I had a dream that I had all my p-mount stuff back. I like my standard-mount listening experience, but I got some good sound of my p-mount setup. I might consider getting into that again.
Sometimes, one wants to skip the tweaky stuff and just enjoy playing some records.

I like tweaking stuff but I am always about the sound. The 310MC meets the second part of that equation and then some.

Here's one I haven't seen before.... Picked up this cart on EBay for the LP Gear VL stylus I bought (a Audio Technica I-LT p-mount). Just for grins and giggles, I tried to look up the specs, and couldn't find anything on this. In fact, a search shows the same AT model for the older-style metal body carts? Anyone know what the red symbol is for? It originally was some sort of elliptical?_0000-AT I-LT cart.jpg _0000-AT I-LT cart2.jpg _0000-AT I-LT cart.jpg _0000-AT I-LT cart2.jpg _0000-AT I-LT cart.jpg _0000-AT I-LT cart2.jpg _0000-AT I-LT cart2.jpg

Bumping....

Decided to do a 'holiday binge' on some replacement styli to see what they have under the hood, so to speak. I've never seen reviews on three of these, so... First up:

LP Gear CARBON FIDELITY CFNT4PSE stylus - $39
This is the new carbon fiber elliptical for the newer AT p-mounts.

LP Gear ATNSERIESVL stylus - $116
This is the vivid line for the newer AT p-mounts.

LP Gear Rx9VL stylus - $79
This is a vivid line for the 'Red Ed' style carts (or p-mounts), Goldring Elan/Elektra, ect. They used to market this as a .02 xx .07 hyper elliptical, but now they say it's a VL? Either way, I've been wanting to give this one a listen for a long time now.

Jico SAS upgrade for Shure N97xE stylus - $199
I HAD to grab this before it was gone. Wanted one for a Technics P33S that I have, but couldn't find one reasonably, so.... I'll be popping it on an old Shure/Realistic RXT3 cart when it arrives.

I'll give a report on each as I test 'em out.

OK! here's what I've found after a couple days testing these out. I'll left the original post above for easy reference.... NOTE: this is BEFORE wear in. I'll do another report after all are properly worn in as well:

LP Gear CARBON FIDELITY CFNT4PSE stylus - $39

You know? It's not bad at all. Now, it ain't in a Shibata class or anything, but it is IS better than the original AT elliptical. I compared it with a worn in AT92e, and it had less sibilance than the original did. Worth the money? If you can pop for the extra few bucks for it over the original? Yep.

I sat here for a long time now now, wondering what this VL was like, as well as their Shibata of the same. I decided to pop for the VL first, since it was already kinda pricey, and cheaper than the Shibata ($179 I think it is). Not expecting a miracle here, but holy moly..... Let me just say this: I have conicals, ellipticals, HE's, a shibata (the original 8008) AND the ML for this cart. But this VL? It's the best sounding stylus I have EVER heard on that cart. And that is right out of the box too. This has a warmth and depth that the others do not, with excellent separation, no IGD and extremely low vinyl noise - and yet has that clarity/sound that AT fans want too, without being overly bright. So far, this one is worth EVERY penny - and then some.

LP Gear Rx9VL stylus - $79
And now for the flip side.... I popped this one on a cheap China made 'Red Ed' p-mount body. Blech. Maybe it needs wear in time, but the mids are like mud. Perhaps a better cart would help (like the Empire MI version), but.... I picked up an elliptical for this from Gary at VoM a while back for around $20 bucks that runs circles around this one. NOT recommended. :(

OK. It's a SAS. Do I REALLY need to comment on this one? Of COURSE it sounds incredible. I'm just happy I found an original at that price. Popped it into an old Shure/RatShack RXT3 cart, and let it roll. Only complaint is the brush hangs up. But that sound..... Worth every penny!

Well I've made a brief foray back into p-mount. I was able to pick up a Technics SL-QX300 and an NOS Empire 980LT cartridge. Sounds pretty awesome :music:

cCl3d64.jpg

Got some 'burn in' time done on a couple of the aforementioned carts:

Now, I gotta tell you something. NO ONE is going to believe this, but that LP Gear VL? That gives the SAS one SERIOUS run for the money. It's not quite as good as the SAS, but holy moly.... That stylus knocked my socks off. I don't even see a need to try the Shibat and such from them because the VL is THAT good. It's better than the two HE's I have, as well as the 8008 and green 'microline' LP Gear sold as well. Very detailed with good, solid bottom and clear highs. Tracks like a champ too. No discernable IGD either, with very low vinyl noise. I honestly expected it to be much like the VL for the Shure M97xE, but it's easily a step above that. It's not as 'musical' as the older metal body AT p-mounts were, but flatter (drier?), much like the Grado/Ortofon sound, yet still has enough warmth to it so you really don't notice it. I wish I bought this one when it first came out! If there is one drawback, the separation isn't as good as good as I would have liked, but it's still good enough for me to want to have another one hand, that's for sure.

As for the SAS? Is there really anything bad you can say about them?

As for the SAS? Is there really anything bad you can say about them?

My only complaint is that my SAS for the common Technics moving magnet p-mount models is too long stem-to-stern, which throws off the alignment when used on a p-mount turntable.

My only complaint is that my SAS for the common Technics moving magnet p-mount models is too long stem-to-stern, which throws off the alignment when used on a p-mount turntable.

Did JICO list the stylus under the Pmount cartridge listing ?

Do you have a link to that SAS stylus listing? :idea:

Back
Top Bottom