Sherwood Turntables

Brandom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear All,

Can you please guide me how good is Sherwood Turntables?Any idea?

The one in the picture below PM-9805

Features
Professional Quick-Start Hi-Fi Turntable
Designed for Analog Records with 33 and 45 RPM
Studio-Type Turntable with Massive Die-Cast Platter
Auto Return Function
Pitch Control ±10%
Illuminated Strobe
Manual Tone Arm Function, Hydraulic Lowering Devic
Straight&Static Balanced Type Tone Arm
Anti-Skating with Counter Weight
Low-Mass S-Shaped Tone Arm with Standard Detachable Head Shell
Adjustable Skating Force Compensation
Stylus Pilot Light
Detachable Acrylic Dust Cover
Dimensions (W x H x D): 450 x 145 x 350mm
Weight: 5.2kg

Attachments

• pm_9805_w960.jpg
    pm_9805_w960.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 93
To me, this appears to have a plastic construction and I guess this particular Sherwood turntable has an undocumented light mass - as you could describe that it's in fact hollow! I have two questions to follow: is it made in South Korea? What cartridge is included with the device?

The arm gimbal sort of gives it away. Looks like the older CEC tables made for store branded sales here in the USA. I'd say it would be a modest performer at best?

it looks like a Technics wannabe, but I'm not saying it's not a great turntable.

I personally have no experience with these turntables, but I hear their recievers are very good.

But to look at it, I'd say it's a pretty diecent unit.

It may be all plastic, but so is my Sanyo TP-1010, and look how awesome that TT is.
And then there's BSR TT's that have a wooden plinth and most of it (except the platter and arm and a lot of the mechanism) are metal, and we all know how crappy those are.

So I'd say the construction material doesn't always equal turntable quality (unless it's all cheap flimsy garbage plastic like those Crosley POS's)

Heh, even B&O TTs are extremely delicate; I imagine you look at them and they collapse under their own weight, but look how good those are.

But getting back to this Sherwood, it looks like a good unit. And it has some awesome features!

When I recently got back into vinyl, I looked one of these over with a view to buying it as a starter table. I changed my mind after one look though. Cheap plastic body that was light as a feather. The tone arm seemed to be made of a very light alloy and the whole machine appeared to be put together poorly and on the cheap. And they were charging $220 Australian for it ($170 US).
Having learned much more about turntables it comes across even worse. Appears to me an overpriced, mass produced attempt to grab inexperienced vinyl lovers by looking cosmetically like a SL-1200.
For less than half of it's price I got a bottom of the line 70's Sansui FR-1080 that is 100 times better put together than that Sherwood was (and I'm upgrading to a 1210M5G shortly).
I'd suggest there are much better options out there for you, Brandom, even on a budget.

Hey guys!
TS, you are still interested in reviews on PM-9805?
if anyone is interested, here is fresh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom