So I went to a record store today and...

The reason they price them so high is that 1 out 4 will pay it. You need to be ready t negotiate They can afford to miss a sell or 2. But I will agree its not a long time business plan.

In B-school, they taught us that the hardest part of business is pricing. You don't want to leave money on the table but you do want to receive the revenue.

A lot depends on the bigger company strategy. Do you want to maximize profits? Long-run or short-run? Gain market share?

My guess is that many starting out record store owners haven't thought through those issues or are more interested in the non-monetary aspects of owning a record store, i.e. record store groupies?

I hate stores like that. Their prices are based on whim and often are backed up by ignorance. Whenever I go into one I listen to the clerk to determine the BS factor and move on if I don't like what I hear or if they rely on discogs for prices and have no clue as to actual condition. They gotta pay their rent but I don't have to overpay.

There was another recent one at the fringe of the old Vancouver Chinatown, price were in the $45.00 and up region.

Took a loong time in opening but close down pretty fast.

( Should start a thread on your local worthy ones....) :)
Edmonton has a few good spots.
And I know Van is a solid vinyl town. It’s been a few years since I’ve bought anything there, though.

I would have at least counter-offered at a 1/3 of his asking price.
Won't get it if you don't ask.
If he sticks to his guns, make him rationalize the price.
The more I spend the more of a discount I expect.

...I'm going to buy records.
I can buy them from you or from someone else.

Some of you might not know the prices of records today. If you haven't been shopping for records in awhile they have doubled in price or more over the last two years. At least what has a record of sales like Discogs & eBay and shows a trend. I get shocked when I look on Discogs and see records I have and paid a couple bucks for being sold for $40, $50 and $100. I'm even shocked looking at Bater Town sales sometimes. I see records I buy all the time in the sub $5 area being sold for $25 plus shipping.

This is not limited to old used records, you could have bought a 180g reissue for $24 five years ago, that is now out of print, going price could be $100 now because of limited numbers pressed.

I went to one like the OP mentioned in the Okanagan a few years back. I asked about prices and got told they just come from discogs.
I got a real strong "If you have to ask the price you shouldn't be shopping here" vibe. Pass.
Since I'm in the area care to share where this was, or at least what town. ;)

I hate to say it, but I think I'm done with record stores, unless I see a good deal on some used records. The last time I went into my favorite local shop I bought Dark Side of the Moon (the recent remaster release). I can't remember exactly what I paid but it was north of $35 after tax. I thought a bit pricey, but I've always wanted this on vinyl, so I didn't mind...until I went to amazon and saw that it sells for more than $10 less.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm done with record stores, unless I see a good deal on some used records. The last time I went into my favorite local shop I bought Dark Side of the Moon (the recent remaster release). I can't remember exactly what I paid but it was north of $35 after tax. I thought a bit pricey, but I've always wanted this on vinyl, so I didn't mind...until I went to amazon and saw that it sells for more than $10 less.

If you do go record shopping, you need to have the record in one hand and your phone in the other (to check pricing). I've made the mistake of not doing this even at local AK events, and I've - literally - paid the price.

jblnut

Amoeba on Haight still has great deals. The genre we shop still has $2 records. Just bought 17 lp's for $52. AFAIC if it's not marked it's barter time.

There are basically 2 record stores where I am. One is an unorganized hole with a ton of inventory but most of it is in poor condition, the prices are only on some of the records and are high, and the owner has loathes his customers. The other is well organized, the records are all run through a RCM and the jackets put in a plastic sleeves before being displayed, there is a turntable station where you can test the record first, the prices are on the records and reasonable, and the owners are nice people. Guess where I go.

But the final straw for the first place was a brand-new repressing of a jazz album that I bought there. The noise floor was higher than I like but I decided to keep it anyway. The next time I went back there I mentioned it to the owner in passing and he looked at me and laughed when I mentioned returning it. "I don't take stuff back", he said, "what am I supposed to do with it?" I asked him what if the NEW record is defective, like the album I bought on-line that has a big hunk of felt pressed into it. He basically told me that would be my problem, not his.

No never been in a shop like that and No wouldn't buy from one either...
There is NO reason in a retail setting to NOT have prices marked.

That being said, if I am buying more than one record form a "record store" (especially used) I am likely to negotiate on price.
Doesn't always work and sometimes I feel there is no negotiation required.
But in my minds eye, I believe ANYTHING used can be negotiated, or at least attempted.

Here is Wichita, KS we have numerous "record dealers" that you can work with to avoid the "retail setting."
They are almost always up for negotiating when buying multiples and even then they ALWAYS have prices (suggestion) marked.

Ben

Pricing is getting out of hand. I wanted to support one somewhat local store that I follow on FB, who showed pics of their new arrivals. In that pile was a Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage Acts II & III, which I've wanted to pick up for a while. I messaged the store, asking for total with shipping to my location. Price: $35. I went on Ebay and found the same record in about the same shape (VG+) and paid $13 for the record and shipping to my location.

I'll buy local if I can, but not if they're going to be a dick about it. You know damned well that they paid someone 50 cents for it.

Pricing is getting out of hand. I wanted to support one somewhat local store that I follow on FB, who showed pics of their new arrivals. In that pile was a Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage Acts II & III, which I've wanted to pick up for a while. I messaged the store, asking for total with shipping to my location. Price: $35. I went on Ebay and found the same record in about the same shape (VG+) and paid $13 for the record and shipping to my location.

I'll buy local if I can, but not if they're going to be a dick about it. You know damned well that they paid someone 50 cents for it.

a semi local shop to me does this, i used to make the 40min hike over there at least 1-2times a month based on photos posted of new arrivals and the prices were always super reasonable cheaper than anywhere.
in the past year the owner hired a person to help run things who prices the items and every item they go to discogs and price based on discogs which drove the prices to the point i dont drive there anymore which is a shame cus the owner was a pretty good guy gave me some deals when i was buying in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom