Technics SL-1200G Speed and Wow and Flutter Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the OP.
If your dealer has not responded, have you performed a search for another authorized dealer that you can contact to see what other avenues for resolution might be available?
I assume you have tried calling as well as emailing.
Also if your dealer does not respond/help, might be good to share who they are so that other future purchasers won't use them.
Keep us updated.

I had not thought of contacting another dealer. Good suggestion. I was going to try Technics directly as my next move. I will be sharing the name of the dealer pending the outcome of the situation...

Thanks for the extra info. At least the warranty WAS transferrable. Hopefully Technics authorizes a dealer close to you to take a look whether the original or another.

With the warranty one just needs to go to a Technics authorizes dealer or service repair shop. Once brought in, with the ownership, warranty records and time of sale, the service center should do all the contacting with Technics. Technics will then tell them to carry out the repair, send parts if needed and a invoice for billing them.

I had to have one of my MC275s serviced, and when I brought it in I thought it would be on my dime. In talking to them we figured I might still be under warranty. He said he was busy and would contact me in a week or so when he had time to look at it with a price to fix it. I went home and scanned my receipt and sent it in a email that day. It showed I had 4 more days left on a three year warranty.

About 5 days later he called me and said my amp was ready to pick up. I said Mac must have told you to take care of it and is covering the repair, he said yep.

The thing is repair shops get paid very well from companies like this, they will drop what they are doing to complete the job and be able to bill it.

I have initiated contact with Panasonic customer support. I sent an email describing the issue and current customer support situation. I will wait and see what Panasonic says. Hopefully, there is a factory service center within a reasonable distance.

BTW, I installed an Audio Technica AT-ART9 cartridge on this turntable last week. All I can say is wow. If the speed issue was not there, it would really be something.

I had not thought of contacting another dealer. Good suggestion. I was going to try Technics directly as my next move. I will be sharing the name of the dealer pending the outcome of the situation...

Thanks for sharing the details upstream. As this is 2nd ownership and involves a warranty transfer, the extended resolution time is more easily understood.
Tis a shame the original owner did not resolve this issue!

Thanks for sharing the details upstream. As this is 2nd ownership and involves a warranty transfer, the extended resolution time is more easily understood.
Tis a shame the original owner did not resolve this issue!

I have had those thoughts as well. He says he did not notice it. I have no reason not to believe him. Since the last time he used it, the platter was removed and it was shipped. Should that cause an issue? No. It was properly packed in the original box and packaging. Of course it could have been an issue since new and was never noticed. I am a picky SOB and I have told I have perfect pitch. As a piano player, I notice even a slight wavering of pitch.

I have had those thoughts as well. He says he did not notice it. I have no reason not to believe him. Since the last time he used it, the platter was removed and it was shipped. Should that cause an issue? No. It was properly packed in the original box and packaging. Of course it could have been an issue since new and was never noticed. I am a picky SOB and I have told I have perfect pitch. As a piano player, I notice even a slight wavering of pitch.

Perfect pitch aside, the dots tell the story here....the should not alter. My G remains solidly steady even when brushing records.
If the previous owner ever looked at them, the issue should raised concern. No way to know for sure, but I know that's one of the first things I looked at after setup.
They are not something easily ignored......do you agree?

Perfect pitch aside, the dots tell the story here....the should not alter. My G remains solidly steady even when brushing records.
If the previous owner ever looked at them, the issue should raised concern. No way to know for sure, but I know that's one of the first things I looked at after setup.
They are not something easily ignored......do you agree?

Absolutely!

Any news to share? Is Technics/ Panasonic being responsive??

No. Nothing from either the dealer or Panasonic. Maybe it's the season and people are on leave. Still, a quick email to that effect would have been nice. On the other hand, they really have had time to get in contact with me. I would describe Technics customer service so far as unresponsive and completely unsatisfactory.

I have a new test record and will be recording test data for analysis. It will be interesting to see the result. I have some theories that I will keep to myself for now. Whatever the case, I'm not happy with the level of interest in this from the seller or the manufacturer.

Have you recorded a 3/3.15KHz tone? (30 seconds) Upload it/ link to it and JP can do a polar plot and I can run the file into my Wow and Flutter meter and give you specific wow and flutter numbers you can present to the dealer.

Interesting as to why the first seller sold the table in the first place, could he have done something to cause the problem and then sell it not reveling the problem? I don't like to distrust others without reason, but the table hasn't been out for long and for one to be for sale on the used market so soon is a bit strange.

I am pretty confident that Technics will take care of the table.

Have you recorded a 3/3.15KHz tone? (30 seconds) Upload it/ link to it and JP can do a polar plot and I can run the file into my Wow and Flutter meter and give you specific wow and flutter numbers you can present to the dealer.

I just purchased a test record with the correct tone(s) which arrived yesterday. I will do some reconfiguring and record a couple of files this week. Thanks for the offer to measure the wow and flutter. I will send the file(s) to both you and JP. My plan is to tap off of the preamp out (fixed) and record to my Marantz CDR-630. I can then rip the file to FLAC on my PC and email it. I very much appreciate the help.

Interesting as to why the first seller sold the table in the first place, could he have done something to cause the problem and then sell it not reveling the problem? I don't like to distrust others without reason, but the table hasn't been out for long and for one to be for sale on the used market so soon is a bit strange.

I am pretty confident that Technics will take care of the table.

Apparently, the reason for the sale was a marriage. When I spoke with him, if all seemed on the up and up to me. Who knows though. Honesty seems to be in very short supply these days. It is strange that the dealer did not reply to my last email after speaking with him on the phone briefly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom