Best budget turntable?

ClpshHrn

I'm in need of a turntable that at the most can be $500. It's ok if the used price is lower. I'm ok with getting a hand me down.

I've got a Denon DP-45F. It's been working fine until now. The arm is acting super weird. I've read up on it and trying to get it fixed would be a waste of time. Parts for this thing are nonexistent.

Does anyone have ideas for a great TT? My entire system is built around vinyl so once this thing decides it's done it'll get quiet. Thanks

You have two problems. The Denon that you have been using is a very nice TT. Anything you buy will be measured by the performance of the Denon you have lived with. You are also right about getting it fixed due to the fact that it needs a total recap to be reliable. You can do well selling the parts of the Denon, because there is a BIG demand for them, but it is a pain for sure.

I have used some of the PS series Sony's and they sound alright, and work well. Here in New York they can sell for $75 or $100 at tag sales, in less than perfect condition. They do have to be cleaned and re-lubed though, if you can do that. I do not know the level of your vinyl system, but GOOD vinyl can be amazing, but it doesn't come cheap.

Many of the new pieces out there have many issues. I do not recommend putting down $400 for them.

You have two problems. The Denon that you have been using is a very nice TT. Anything you buy will be measured by the performance of the Denon you have lived with. You are also right about getting it fixed due to the fact that it needs a total recap to be reliable. You can do well selling the parts of the Denon, because there is a BIG demand for them, but it is a pain for sure.

I have used some of the PS series Sony's and they sound alright, and work well. Here in New York they can sell for $75 or $100 at tag sales, in less than perfect condition. They do have to be cleaned and re-lubed though, if you can do that. I do not know the level of your vinyl system, but GOOD vinyl can be amazing, but it doesn't come cheap.

Many of the new pieces out there have many issues. I do not recommend putting down $400 for them.
Thanks for the advice. I don't want a new TT but the Denon seems to be a time bomb so I'm torn on if I should sell it or not. Atleast I'm guaranteed the money for it without selling it part by part of I do sell it.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want a new TT but the Denon seems to be a time bomb so I'm torn on if I should sell it or not. Atleast I'm guaranteed the money for it without selling it part by part of I do sell it.
If you have been using a turntable for a while you should know what to look for used. We can throw out a hundred names but if they are not available in your area it doesn't help.

Based on your experience with the malfunctioning electronics on the DP-45F I would suggest going for something more manual/mechanical if you're going to stay with vintage.
It's easier to change a belt, clean and lube than to solder a system board or try to find unobtainable ic-components.
For those dollars an overhauled Dual, Garrard or old Pioneer should be within reach I believe.

Based on your experience with the malfunctioning electronics on the DP-45F I would suggest going for something more manual/mechanical if you're going to stay with vintage.
It's easier to change a belt, clean and lube than to solder a system board or try to find unobtainable ic-components.
For those dollars an overhauled Dual, Garrard or old Pioneer should be within reach I believe.
Thanks. Let's just hope that I can get lucky with a find.

I probably will go manual in the future though, but having it automatic can be really nice sometimes.

U-turn Orbit & Rega Planar 1 (manual belt drive), Denon DP300f (semi-auto), Audio Technica LP120 (direct drive) are the best new turntables under $500

U-turn Orbit & Rega Planar 1 (manual belt drive), Denon DP300f (semi-auto), Audio Technica LP120 (direct drive) are the best new turntables under $500
I just got a DP-300F and I'm quite happy with it. The included rubber mat seems really thick though. I assume it's supposed to be based on the platter itself, but it's like 2x the thickness of my Technics mat.

I'm in need of a turntable that at the most can be $500. . .
In that price range, the Rega Planar 1 is the best I've heard. I don't like that it has a factory-fixed anti-skate level, but in terms of sound quality, there's nothing I've heard that can touch it, so long as you stay with cartridges that track at 2 grams or higher [a few people have put online instructions for changing the fixed anti-skate, but I wouldn't do that with a new 'table]. I enjoyed my DP-300F (which is fully automatic, by the way), but better sound quality was the reason I later changed to a Rega RP3.

What about the new Yamaha Yamaha TT-S303? It looks like a nice budget new TT , Even tho I have my dream turntable
i have been tempted to get one just for a third system.

TTS303BLfr2UGATRLSK_6873x4974_2d0cd9ed0ca64d958dc8e7611b76ed83.jpg

TTS303reUGATRLSK_5381x3266_c5f222fbe8ca21248c33e4f2ba6840f0.jpg

I'm in need of a turntable that at the most can be $500. It's ok if the used price is lower. I'm ok with getting a hand me down.

I've got a Denon DP-45F. It's been working fine until now. The arm is acting super weird. I've read up on it and trying to get it fixed would be a waste of time. Parts for this thing are nonexistent.

Does anyone have ideas for a great TT? My entire system is built around vinyl so once this thing decides it's done it'll get quiet. Thanks

Is it only acting up in automatic mode? If so, and you're ok with a manual deck why not just use the Denon as a manual?

If still wanting to get another deck(no reason not to have more than 1, I have........ahem, many lol) then my suggestion is a schveet Kenwood.

If patient and with due diligence something like the KD770D, or even a KP990 are within budget. Semi auto decks that lift the arm and shut off at records end. These are large tables so need lots of room.

The KD770D
2a892361ca9597edcb6a3125d08d6b53.jpg
maxresdefault (11).jpg

There are lots of option in your price range, and I agree with quite a few of the suggestions already mentioned. I would not buy new. Buying used will allow you to move much further up the food chain. One thing you need to consider is your cartridge. If you plan to reuse your cartridge, make sure you look for a table with an arm that matches it.

I would recommend a Lenco L75. I snagged a nice one in an original plinth for well under $500 off eBay. In its stock form, with a Denon dl-103, it very very nice sounding. There are tons of mods for these table to take them to an even higher level of performance, so if you can tolerate the stock arm for a while (not many cartridges pair well with it), I would highly recommend it.

That Kenwood KD770D looks like a nice piece too.

If you’re OK with an all-manual turntable - you can still find decent Empires in your price range. They don’t look modern, (more like, mid-century modern) but they can sound quite good. If they’re in proper shape, even with the what are considered the least desirable of the empire tonearms (probably the 98 arm), they’ll track any cartridge you have at around 1 gram.
I’d prefer a good-used Empire to a new U-turn or Planar 1.

Just food for thought.

I'd suggest picking up a JVC TT-71 and do a full recap. Fewer caps than the Denon direct drives so easily done. Get a Fidelity Research FR-54 arm and drop into a high mass plinth.

Both the TT-71 and FR-54 can be had relatively cheaply. I used Dynamat Extreme on the underside of the platter and an SDS IsoPlatMat which took mine to another level. The simplicity of these flying saucer type tables makes them perfect for customisation.

JVC TT-71 - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132890169742

FR-54 - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264103675850

Of course if you don't want to go that way it's pretty hard to beat a JVC QL-A7 which is semi automatic.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323632719834,

Back
Top Bottom