New Technics SL-1500C Introduced!

MCM_Fan

AK Subscriber
Didn't see this coming, but I'm glad to see Technics bringing back the SL-1500. You have your choice of silver or black:

sl-1500cs-1168.jpg

sl-1500cbk-1168.jpg

sl1500csv-1168.jpg

sl1500cbk-1168.jpg

I'm actually quite excited about this one. I really like the design, and if it's as high quality as the old 1500's, it looks like it will be a winner. I will likely purchase one if the price isn't exorbitant.

I’m guessing MSRP of $999

It will be interesting to see the price. Given that the same Ortofon 2M Red cartridge usually comes on new tables in the $400 - $500 range, I'm hoping the Technics is reasonably priced (maybe not that low), but I'm hoping to see an actual selling price perhaps in the $600 - $700 range. Maybe I'm being too optimistic. Time will tell. I'd love to see this be a successful product for Technics/Panasonic.

I'm a huge fan of the vintage direct drive Panasonic tables from the 70s and early 80s. Of course, the SL-1200, in its various revisions, gets most of the attention, but all of the SL-1x00 models (and their MCS equivalents) are solid, reliable tables. In addition to the SL-1500, I currently have two Panasonic made MCS tables (MCS 6601 == improved version of the SL-2000 and MCS 6700 == improved version of the SL-1950). Like the SL-1500, they are rock solid, dependable performers.

I have an original SL-1500 that is the easiest to maintain and quietest of the 12 tables I currently I own. Thanks to the manual operation, if properly maintained and not abused, there's no reason it literally cannot last a lifetime.

Most of the current "entry level" turntables are fully manual belt drive models. It's nice to see a direct drive alternative from someone who knows how to build them and build them well.

I'm actually quite excited about this one. I really like the design, and if it's as high quality as the old 1500's, it looks like it will be a winner. I will likely purchase one if the price isn't exorbitant.

If it's anything like the original, and I have no reason to suspect it won't be, it will be a very reliable, easy to maintain machine that with very minimal maintenance, should provide a lifetime of service (i.e. a good investment).

Edit: since there is no strobe or speed control pots shown in the photos, it may be even more reliable and easier to maintain than the original SL-1500 (which has four pots that need a blast of Deoxit every 10 years, or so). And, that's saying something, because the original SL-1500 requires less in the way of maintenance than any table I've ever owned.

It would be so cool if this ends up being a new alternative for those entering the vinyl hobby who don't have the acumen or desire to service, troubleshoot and adjust 40-year old vintage table. Basically, the modern, plug and play equivalent of the original.

Last edited:
I’m guessing MSRP of $999

If you are correct, this will probably drive down the prices of used SL-1200s (and similar) turntables. Especially the later models like the M5G, which still enjoy fairly decent resale prices on the used market. When you can get the same or better performance with a warranty and a cartridge AND auto-lift, it's hard to resist going new. I don't need another turntable, but I will most probably get one anyway at this price. (although I will replace the cartridge immediately)

Last edited:
Wow I don't know how this squeaked through without hitting the news. Looks like I great table that inherited the new motor and motor controller of the 1200 series. If it is cheaper then the 1200 series I might look into this instead of the MK7 or GR (although that is where my heart is)

2kg lighter than the ols sl1200mk2 so guessing it will be cheaper than the new sl1200 as lighter than that too.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom