Electro Voice Sentry III restoration

my favorite sounding midrange I have owned to date, and I've owned a bunch.

I was alway's impressed with what they could do, corner placement in my large room alway's improved bass performance
and other aspects. The room had both floor to ceiling corner bass traps and wall treatments.

:( replacing grill cloth on these is a major undertaking compared to most, basically all stapled together and would probably be the most difficult part of the restoration. 100 plus staples to remove.

20190105_125210.jpg 20190105_125220.jpg

Odd thing about my Sentry III grills was they must have been made after
a long weekend. One was assembled 180 degrees off and was then modified rather than starting over all with
the original paint etc. It was easy to see someone was having a bad day.

Odd thing about my Sentry III grills was they must have been made after
a long weekend. One was assembled 180 degrees off and was then modified rather than starting over all with
the original paint etc. It was easy to see someone was having a bad day.
Looks like these grills will have to be taken completely apart in order to run the new cloth the same, the masonite has so many staples in it that it will crumble and all the staples will most likely pull through. I will probably just make new masonite panels instead of trying to save the original. Even though these grills are in pretty good shape, the black grill cloth doesn't do it for me. Quite a challenge coming up to do these grills. :eek:

Comparing the original with what I want shows it's worth the challenge and a no brainer.

1535565694134.jpg
Sentry III.jpg

I found the original material had a definite affect on the upper end and subsequently never ran them mounted.

I found the original material had a definite affect on the upper end and subsequently never ran them mounted.
My wife won't let them in the house without looking sharp, they are certainly ugly in the nude. :D

I LOVE Sentry IIIs. I bought a pair about 10 years ago. They were SO good. It was before I got interested in speaker building and didn't know better. I sold them. Today, I'd put 2235s in them and re-work the crossover the accommodate them. MAN, you have some GREAT speakers there.

I LOVE Sentry IIIs. I bought a pair about 10 years ago. They were SO good. It was before I got interested in speaker building and didn't know better. I sold them. Today, I'd put 2235s in them and re-work the crossover the accommodate them. MAN, you have some GREAT speakers there.
My 4435's have those woofers covered, just wanted these to be as designed since I had read such good revues. These will replace my Belle's that I sold a while back and be powered mostly by 65 wpc tube amps. If the 4435's ever leave, then I will WOPL the hell out of these Sentry III's. :rockon:

Pretty amazing quality veneer on these, very thick and great looking grain. Funny that the beveled trim is not walnut but poplar, a common cheaper alternative that will stain well for matching mahogany or walnut. Once I sanded on the trim they turned white as the stain was sanded away. So a little dark walnut stain brought back the color, still amazed that these have no real dings or scratches for their age. Now these look like finished furniture, just the way I had hoped.

Pretty amazing quality veneer on these, very thick and great looking grain. Funny that the beveled trim is not walnut but poplar, a common cheaper alternative that will stain well for matching mahogany or walnut. Once I sanded on the trim they turned white as the stain was sanded away. So a little dark walnut stain brought back the color, still amazed that these have no real dings or scratches for their age. Now these look like finished furniture, just the way I had hoped.

It's the damn dings that bug the heck out of me. Especially along sharper edges. Fixing those is the most bothersome thing.....

Looking good man.

Beautiful job they look amazing!
Those pictures are with the first coat of sealer, sanding them in between coats and we should have them finished tomorrow evening with a 4th coat. I'm going to install small casters on the bottoms to allow for easier moving, getting smarter with age and did the same with my 4435's.

Still looking at grill cloth options, that's going to be a challenge, but worth it.

Back
Top Bottom