New Technics SL-1500C Introduced!

Has sets of outputs, don't most just have one set with a switch to pass through the phono pre?
That might be a sign that one set of outputs bypasses the phono pre?

Smart move I say. They know that most HT type receivers don't have phono inputs.

If it costs ~1000 USD, I'm willing to spend that money on it, as long as it's made in Japan. Sorry, Hanpin just doesn't cut it.

For those mentioning Chinese electronics: chips and LED displays are relatively to mass produce. Chinese manufacturers suffer when it comes to producing anything that requires precision mechanics - like turntable tonearms. There are too many stories here about lose bearings. So, until those faults are fixed, I won't trust any outsorced Hanpin turntable, even if it bears Technics badge.

On the other news - I just read on Vinylengine that Panasonic opened two new manufacturing plants near Osaka, Japan - so it's quite possible SL-1500C will be made there.

Last edited:
Play nice folks - its a world market these days for manufacturering audio, cars, cameras, and all manner of things.
No need to argue it here now. The market will soon decide where quality manufacturing is done.
Yep, you got that right
Kinda like iphones
Nobody complaining/bashing/bitching about that too much
I think I heard something about people sleeping out on the sidewalk for those when they first hit the streets

Why would it matter? China has some of the most modern factories on the planet. Where was your cell phone made? Your computer? Everything built in China is built to a price point. You want Technics level quality, it will cost you more than Crosley level quality, but they will be happy to build either for you, as many as you want. The old adage "you get what you pay for" still applies. I seriously doubt Technics/Panasonic would sully their stellar, decades old, reputation to produce an inferior product. Has Audio Technica's reputation suffered since they started making cartridges in China. No, if anything, the opposite. There are multiple threads in this, and other forums, extolling the virtues and unreal bang for the buck value of the Chinese made Audio Technica cartridges.
Exactly, cool

The 1200 MK7 is looking to be priced at $1,200. I would anticipate this table around there, maybe more because of the cart cost.

I wonder how many working DJs are going to be interested in paying almost-double the price of the PLX-1000 for a Technics. I would wager not many. Panasonic will need something closer to $800 IMO if they are hoping to recapture the DJ market. Also, at $1200, these are also awfully close to the price of the GR. How does that sort of pricing make sense to the prospective buyer?

No further need to speculate on the price of the Technics SL-1200 MK7.

https://www.westenddj.co.uk/technics-sl-1210-mk7
Technics SL-1200 MK7 price in the UK is £899.00 - $1143.23 USD. - $1518.01 CDN . :)

Base on today's exchange rate.

1100 would be a weird price for US. Given it's not a small company I bet it will be under 1k US. 899 or 999. A lot of audio components have the same UK and US price despite exchange rate.

Very cool!!! ..I might have chosen that over my SL-1210GR, if only to save some $$. I think eschewing the platter dots and strobe makes perfect sense for their "budget" model. ..I have had need to adjusted the speed precisely ZERO times in all the years I've owned SL1200's. ..They are always rock stead.

I suspect it'll be a Hanpin of similar quality to the PLX-1000 which is not necessarily a bad thing espcially if Panasonic insists on better QC. I just don't know that it would be possible to produce a high quality, relatively low volume turntable in Japan for much less than what the 1200GR is selling for.

What is the question to me,
When the sl1200 mk6 was discontinued in 2010 it cost 400 sterling pounds.
That is(was) $600USD.
Fast forward to 2019 and that $600 should now cost $700USD adjusted for inflation.

What is the rationale for the 70% price increase?
Is it a simple case of supply vs demand and the low point of demand coincided with 2010 and now the demand is that much greater?
Or are there variable costs related to manufacture and supply logistics that changed since 2010?

Pioneer sells the hanpin made pl 1000 for $700 USD with much cheaper labor than Japan.
Seems like something is lost in the translation regarding 2010 dollars and 2019 dollars.

Last edited:
What is the question to me,
When the sl1200 mk6 was discontinued in 2010 it cost 400 sterling pounds.
That is(was) $600USD.
Fast forward to 2019 and that $600 should now cost $700USD adjusted for inflation.

What is the rationale for the 70% price increase?
Is it a simple case of supply vs demand and the low point of demand coincided with 2010 and now the demand is that much greater?
Or are there variable costs related to manufacture and supply logistics that changed since 2010?

Pioneer sells the hanpin made so 1000 for $700 USD with much cheaper labor than Japan.
Seems like something is lost in the translation regarding 2010 dollars and 2019 dollars.

My guess is this is a new model, and just the model numbers are the same, as opposed to the previous generation of SL-1200, which had been around since the 70's. One issue that was cited back in 2010 was the motor was no longer being made. Unless I am wrong on what I read, this would require retooling, which of course cost money.

Another question while pondering the news of this new table;
What do the guys who recommend the u-turn orbits and project tables over used vintage tables think of this table?

If this table is a considerable upgrade to the u-turn and projects, do you feel the sl1500 is overpriced?

What do the guys who recommend the u-turn orbits and project tables over used vintage tables think of this table?

If this table is a considerable upgrade to the u-turn and projects, do you feel the sl1500 is overpriced?

Hard to say for sure until we know more about the build quality and price. The 1500 seems to be weird mix of high and low end features, such as adjustable VTA but also having a built-in phono stage. I think I'm in the minority as far as audiophiles go in that I prefer the sound of direct drive turntables to belt drive drive so all other things being equal I'd probably choose the Technics (or a higher end Hanpin) over other entry level options.

The speculation is that the SL-1200 is coming in at $900, but I don't know that I've seen anything about what the SL-1500 will cost. I can comment directly on your question, because I own a U-Turn Orbit Special Walnut that has served me well for ~two years now, and I also own a Pioneer PLX-1000 that is my main turntable and replaced a Marantz TT-15. I love both, but the PLX-1000 is better, in part because of adjustable VTA, swappable head shell and dead quiet DD motor. If the SL-1500 comes in at a price under, say, $700 or so, I would guess it will be a fantastic player and very, very popular.

I already have struggled of late with the seeming stagnation of the U-Turn turntable lineup, as compared to (for example) Fluance, which just came out with upgraded turntables offering spectacular W&F and S/N numbers, acrylic platter, optically-controlled servo motor, etc., for $500. Options on the new market, under $1000, are taking off right now and it's a beautiful thing for all of us IMO. In this new market I see the Orbit as becoming less attractive ,excepting their incredible customer service.

How the Technics machines will stack up, performance wise AND value wise, will be seen very soon.

The 1500 seems to be weird mix of high and low end features, such as adjustable VTA but also having a built-in phono stage.

I think the idea of a built-in phono stage as a negative is no longer the case, assuming they offer a direct out for those of us who prefer to use our current phono stages.
Technics would be limiting their prospective customers by not including a built-in phono stage.
I’m guessing many vinyl enthusiasts today would prefer to go direct to powered monitors and forgo the components.
At least that’s how I see it with the popularity that powered monitors have attained.

Yes,
I think I would not want to be project or u-turn right about now.
Their end of the market is getting crowded and their products might be losing their shine.
This of course assumes the sl1500 is a hit.

A great time to be back into vinyl or audio in general.

So far the Technics SL-1500 C comes with:

• Multiple device connectivity enabled by a built-in Phono EQ
Much of the modern receivers and integrated amplifiers don't have build in phono EQ.

A version of the Technics SL-1500 C without the phono for those that already have stand alone or classic /vintage receiver and amp in the future would not be out of the question.

It should be even less costly. :idea: :)

Back
Top Bottom