Best budget turntable?

Sure, I believe that - 10 or 15 years ago

These are working in my house right now, all purchased within the last 5 yrs, most within the last 2, the Technics within the last 8months.

I just posted a KD550 for $333 that's for sale on eBay, these tables can still be purchased for these prices, or do you not believe the ad?

The 500 cult is based on a myth thanks to great marketing and the fact that it came arm less - you should listen to the ones that Kenwood did re-brand and sell WITH the nondescript stock arm typical of most Japanese mid-fi tables back in the day - eh - very typical Japanese mid-fi manual deck
Kenwood never even built a turntable just stuck their name on a few

Micro Seiki built nearly all of Kenwood branded high end and pro stuff - when you work on them that becomes immediately apparent

These are working in my house right now, all purchased within the last 5 yrs, most within the last 2, the Technics within the last 8months.

I just posted a KD550 for $333 that's for sale on eBay, these tables can still be purchased for these prices, or do you not believe the ad?
Why'd you edit out your accusation that I called you a liar?
You need a friend dude

As long as it worked
If $500 is the budget, including a cartridge, and you can't do your own work like re-capping and the like, I'd avoid a very possibly unreliable direct drive unless it came with some sort of warranty
Do you have a table to suggest that is relevant to the OP? Would be interested in the thread being more on course, as I have interest in the subject matter and am subscribed to the thread.

The 500 cult is based on a myth thanks to great marketing and the fact that it came arm less - you should listen to the ones that Kenwood did re-brand and sell WITH the nondescript stock arm typical of most Japanese mid-fi tables back in the day - eh - very typical Japanese mid-fi manual deck
Kenwood never even built a turntable just stuck their name on a few

Micro Seiki built nearly all of Kenwood branded high end and pro stuff - when you work on them that becomes immediately apparent

Now who's bashing?

I really could care less who built the table, it's an outstanding work of art that plays beautiful music that's all that matters.

Do you have a table to suggest that is relevant to the OP? Would be interested in the thread being more on course, as I have interest in the subject matter and am subscribed to the thread.
There's a least 5 that I know of right here right now, just look at the turntable forum table of contents
Here's one to get you started, pretty sure one of my practical table picks is in here, maybe two:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ntable-or-repair-my-vintage-jvc-again.851977/

One must first read the OP's original post to know what the thread content is about.

Last edited:
There's a least 5 that I know of right here right now, just look at the turntable forum table of contents
Here's one to get you started, pretty sure one of my practical table picks is in here, maybe two:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ntable-or-repair-my-vintage-jvc-again.851977/
I am interested in your information, and am new to all this. Thanks for linking the other thread. If you had a chance to listen the other 3 or 4 depending on how many are in this other thread, I would love it if you would share.

I am interested in your information, and am new to all this. Thanks for linking the other thread. If you had a chance to listen the other 3 or 4 depending on how many are in this other thread, I would love it if you would share.
Just read the threads dude
Peace out

Spent a long time making a case you didn't need to
All I run now for personal use are Japanese direct drives, my point was there is nothing special about the Kenwoods (I have owned a couple and worked on several others) except the vestigial hype from the 70s focused primarily on the composite base material which was a novelty for about 2 seconds
You also have to remember that just because you get lucky in the used market doesn't mean everyone will

Just FYI, you aren't the only one who will ever read this thread. Perhaps others will find my comments useful, even if you did not.

Luck has nothing to do with it. I do my research and then check out every table I buy in person before I purchase it. I know ahead of time common issues to look for, and what's involved in fixing them.

Just FYI, you aren't the only one who will ever read this thread. Perhaps others will find my comments useful, even if you did not.

Luck has nothing to do with it. I do my research and then check out every table I buy in person before I purchase it. I know ahead of time common issues to look for, and what's involved in fixing them.
Man you TOTALLY took that the wrong way, I was AGREEING WITH YOU
I was saying you didn't need to convince ME
Some of you dudes are way too sensitive about stuff that really doesn't matter, like personal preferences and stuff and read a bunch of stuff into things that isn't there
I hope I don't get all freaked out over day to day when I'm 50 or 60
Oh, and finding good deals on nice stuff does involve a lot of luck now, thanks to the net and flea bay, research or not

I think he wants a table to use this year, not a project
I honestly would be ok with something that required a little work to be put into it. Nothing extreme though. If it takes me a month to get the new table working properly then I just need my current table to last that long, and then it can retire. It all works out in the end :)

I honestly would be ok with something that required a little work to be put into it. Nothing extreme though. If it takes me a month to get the new table working properly then I just need my current table to last that long, and then it can retire. It all works out in the end :)
Kinda vague and different meaning for different people on the what exactly is 'extreme' deal but I'm feelin' ya
Good luck

Kinda vague and different meaning for different people on the what exactly is 'extreme' deal but I'm feelin' ya
Good luck
It becomes extreme when I need to replace nearly everything in the TT due to it all barely being in a functional state, and when the music stops flowing.

If you don't mind a manual table, an original Technics SL-1500 (not the later MkII that has the infamous cueing issue) is very easy to work on and requires very little in the way of periodic maintenance to keep it operating within spec. I'm moving one along to a fellow AKer tonight that has been completely serviced and ready for many more years of reliable, trouble free operation. In addition to being easy to work on, the complete lack or automation makes it the quietest table I have ever owned. It is dead silent during operation. It would be a very good table for someone just starting out who wants to learn how to service and maintain a table.

Man you TOTALLY took that the wrong way, I was AGREEING WITH YOU
I was saying you didn't need to convince ME
Some of you dudes are way too sensitive about stuff that really doesn't matter, like personal preferences and stuff and read a bunch of stuff into things that isn't there
I hope I don't get all freaked out over day to day when I'm 50 or 60
Oh, and finding good deals on nice stuff does involve a lot of luck now, thanks to the net and flea bay, research or not

Not sure how you got "freaked out" from what I wrote. I am not and do not, in general get, "freaked out" about something that is a hobby. Just pointing out my post was not entirely for your benefit.

As long as it worked
If $500 is the budget, including a cartridge, and you can't do your own work like re-capping and the like, I'd avoid a very possibly unreliable direct drive unless it came with some sort of warranty

I just wanted to let others considering vintage Japanese direct drive turntables know that re-capping is rarely necessary and you don't need an engineering degree to perform basic routine maintenance on a vintage turntable.

What you call luck, I call due diligence.

Back
Top Bottom