Help IDing AT carts

Thefamous

Haven't used a turntable in over 20 years, but recently picked up an old Sanyo TP1030. It came with 2 headshells both loaded with Audio Technica cartridges. I am sure I could spend a lot of time looking on the web but was hoping to tap into the wonderful knowledge here to save me some time and frustration. And possible mis-identification :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I took a couple of pictures, and if anyone is feeling generous with their time I would surely appreciate it.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Haha I literally just realized that. Good thing I don’t mind feeling stupid or else I’d be upset right now :D

Nice nickname.

1oanp3.jpg

Well I have a M-12e and M-13e. Probably both with the original stylus, although I’ll probably steal the kids’ microscope and have a look at them to see if they are in good shape.

Any opinions on these? Seem fine for the table. It’s not like I have them on a Rega or anything, so they probably do my Sanyo justice.

Ah, well! I was hoping that I'd discovered another Goon Show fan.
Never heard of it. But Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan? How did I miss this?

Now I kind of wish my name was from that show. I’ll have to check the internets and give it a listen

Looks like the turntable and the carts whre well taken care of, and your photos are great. Looks like who ever had the gear took decent care of it. Hope you find them in good shape and the suspension is still good, then throw on a record and enjoy.

Welcome to AK.

Looks like the turntable and the carts whre well taken care of, and your photos are great. Looks like who ever had the gear took decent care of it. Hope you find them in good shape and the suspension is still good, then throw on a record and enjoy.

Welcome to AK.
Yeah for a table that is 40 years old it’s in fantastic shape. Still had the “simulated wood grain” stickers on the vinyl sides :).

Everything works a treat except the tonearm falls too fast. I have some dampening fluid on order per the advice of some members of this forum, who were helpful enough to point out how to fix this.

Thanks for the welcome. Nice place y’all got here.

Tf: Those would basically be "renames" of the AT12E and the AT13E - with the former not being bad, but nothing special yet, while the latter already is a higher quality model (due its higher quality needle, the ATS13, which sports a nice, usually rectangular-shanked nudie with sharp, true elliptical tip on tapered, anodised alu cantilever...). I.e., the AT12E could be considered about on level in technical needle quality with the recent AT100E or current VM520EB, while the AT13E would rank higher than the recent AT120Eb or current VM530EN and about on level with the recent AT7V (with the tip of the ATN7V from pics appearing less nicely polished than the tip of the ATS13, though...). And the good new is that one can even still get the original ATS13 new old stock for pretty fair prices. As far as I'm aware, the currently cheapest source over here would be Hifi-Phono-House(.de), asking not quite 70 Euro (incl. VAT) - which still is a very fair price for a needle on that quality level.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Tf: Those would basically be "renames" of the AT12E and the AT13E - with the former not being bad, but nothing special yet, while the latter already is a higher quality model (due its higher quality needle, the ATS13, which sports a nice, usually rectangular-shanked nudie with sharp, true elliptical tip on tapered, anodised alu cantilever...). I.e., the AT12E could be considered about on level in technical needle quality with the recent AT100E or current VM520EB, while the AT13E would rank higher than the recent AT120Eb or current VM530EN and about on level with the recent AT7V (with the tip of the ATN7V from pics appearing less nicely polished than the tip of the ATS13, though...). And the good new is that one can even still get the original ATS13 new old stock for pretty fair prices. As far as I'm aware, the currently cheapest source over here would be Hifi-Phono-House(.de), asking not quite 70 Euro (incl. VAT) - which still is a very fair price for a needle on that quality level.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Thanks for the rundown. Good to know.

I was looking for a new stylus for it but it seems most of the generic replacements lack the quality of the original - that is nude mount and thinner elliptical, and I think cantilever quality. I saw a NOS on the bay for around $80, thinking of ordering, but I’d like to check the wear on the one I have first.

Also see one here:
https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATS13-OR.html

Does that seem like a good deal? I would rather buy from a reputable business than an auction site, just for piece of mind

Nvm. LP gear is out of that one. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Tf: Don't know, whether H_P_H is prepared to sell abroad for a reasonable shipping rate, but Thakker(.eu) should be, and they also still offer it - for currently not quite 80 Euro (incl. VAT), which isn't quite as attractive as H-P-H's price, but also still easily within the "still cheaper than the next best (in downward direction), comparable current original AT needle type" range.

I guess, that the European price level is a tad lower in that particular case, is due the AT13E version with the ATS13 (plus numerous renames thereof) being (or respectively having been) less common over here than in the US. Over here we have/had more of the AT13Eas with the ATN13 (and also of the AT13EaVs and -EaXes with ATN13EaV and ATN13EaX, which are lower quality compared to the ATN13 and ATS13, though...). So while practically any established vendor source over here is sold out on ATN13s in the meantime, at least some still offer the ATS13 - and some even still at a pretty fair price level...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Tf: Don't know, whether H_P_H is prepared to sell abroad for a reasonable shipping rate, but Thakker(.eu) should be, and they also still offer it - for currently not quite 80 Euro (incl. VAT), which isn't quite as attractive as H-P-H's price, but also still easily within the "still cheaper than the next best (in downward direction), comparable current original AT needle type" range.

I guess, that the European price level is a tad lower in that particular case, is due the AT13E version with the ATS13 (plus numerous renames thereof) being (or respectively having been) less common over here than in the US. Over here we have/had more of the AT13Eas with the ATN13 (and also of the AT13EaVs and -EaXes with ATN13EaV and ATN13EaX, which are lower quality compared to the ATN13 and ATS13, though...). So while practically any established vendor source over here is sold out on ATN13s in the meantime, at least some still offer the ATS13 - and some even still at a pretty fair price level...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
I was doing some looking and saw on a cross reference the VM 35-EL listed as the same stylus. It appears to be an elliptical cut nude diamond. Do you know if this was the same stylus or is it a lesser quality. It is available quite a bit cheaper than the electro voice branded needles I have seen.

For example https://www.thakker.eu/en/needles/audio-technica-vm-35-el-stylus-genuine-stylus/a-6139/

Tf: The VM35-EL was the original needle of the older AT-VM35. It's also a higher quality needle, but not quite as refined as the ATS13 and a more old-school design instead. Compared to the ATS13 it's got a fatter, more extremely tapered cantilever, which isn't crimped and angled at the front, so that its somewhat larger, square-shanked nudie pierces the cantilever at an angle instead of straight through - and the tip itself is just medium-sharp (0.3 x 0.7 mil).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Back
Top Bottom