New Technics SL-1500C Introduced!

You'll have to pony up then for the GR, G or GAE if you want your Technics to arrive from Japan. The new decks will be made in Malaysia and WhatHiFi noted a significantly cheaper, lighter build quality in their hands-on.

Boils down to you get what you pay for. Made in Japan buys quality mfg from an experienced company like Panasonic that has a reputation to protect and not a fly by night outfit that couldn't give a poop.

No they didn't - this is exactly what they 'noted' - 100% subjective:

The MK7 doesn't feel as solid as the more expensive SL-1200GR and SL-1200G models. The stop/start and speed buttons don't have the same reassuring response nor quite the bombproof feel, and the LED stylus illuminator, which you can pop up and down, felt a little flimsy on the sample we saw. There was no legacy SL-1200 model on hand for a direct comparison but we'll look to further clarify the build differences.

We do know the aluminium die-cast chassis is integrated with a "special material consisting of ABS mixed with glass fibre", as opposed to the aluminium and BMC on the premium models or the original T.N.R.C. (Technics Non-Resonance Compound) found on earlier DJ decks. And at 7.2kg the deck is noticeably lighter than the SL-1200GR (11.5kg) or the MK6 (11.7kg). Deadening rubber remains on the underside of the deck as well and there are four solid feet.

Sounds to me as if they are describing a cheaper, lighter build quality.

And the stated differences in materials used and in weight are not subjective.

What is important is are they any lower quality than MK2. Of course they'll be lower quality compared to the G that's triple the price.

From CES!

Attachments

• 0631D00F-A1C7-44A4-85FD-F6A7771F4816.jpeg
    0631D00F-A1C7-44A4-85FD-F6A7771F4816.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 538437ED-2BDB-4E53-9FEC-55261BFCC7BB.jpeg
    538437ED-2BDB-4E53-9FEC-55261BFCC7BB.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 917AE2E0-AA5B-47DF-81DF-72E74426FBBB.jpeg
    917AE2E0-AA5B-47DF-81DF-72E74426FBBB.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 51
  • B0050450-0026-49D5-AA93-3517FBF7F249.jpeg
    B0050450-0026-49D5-AA93-3517FBF7F249.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 58
Stereophile says it will be $1400 for this and $1200 for the 1200MK7. Yikes. On the upside, probably means quality will be better than some people think. Downside is that they are still pretty expensive and outside the budget market. I had hoped they might be within buying range for me, but at those prices I'd rather do vintage for less.

Stereophile says it will be $1400 for this and $1200 for the 1200MK7. Yikes. On the upside, probably means quality will be better than some people think. Downside is that they are still pretty expensive and outside the budget market. I had hoped they might be within buying range for me, but at those prices I'd rather do vintage for less.
That's somewhat disappointing to hear. I was hoping (and I think many others were as well) that it would be $999 or less, and certainly not more expensive than the 1200 mk7. Of course, it will likely still be a great turntable, but at $1400, that would to be a hard sell for me.

1500c can't be cheaper than mk7, as it is the same turntable plus: phono pre, Ortofon cart and auto lift. You can't get these features for $200 separately.

1500c can't be cheaper than mk7, as it is the same turntable plus: phono pre, Ortofon cart and auto lift. You can't get these features for $200 separately.

I disagree. A built-in phono pre-amp is probably a few dollars in parts as there's no need for a separate case, connectors, etc.. ..Just a few parts soldered into the signal path.. ..And a Red Ortofon cartridge is $99 retail. ..I'm sure Technics is paying quite a bit less based on volume.

And, remember the 1500 doesn't have the strobe light, the strobe dots on the platter (so easier to mill), the speed slider, or a reverse rotation feature.

Yet, if it's true that it's more expensive then there must be something more to the feature set. ..I'd be surprised if it's just b/c of the auto lift, pre-amp and cart..

Last edited:
I disagree. A built-in phono pre-amp is probably a few dollars in parts as there's no need for a separate case, connectors, etc.. ..Just a few parts soldered into the signal path.. ..And a Red Ortofon cartridge is $99 retail. ..I'm sure Technics is paying quite a bit less based on volume.

But there are more parts in that there are 2 sets of outputs. One bypasses the phono preamp. Also the phono preamp has a separate power supply.

I agree that it doesn't look like it should be that much more $$ though unless there's something else we don't know.

I'll be surprised if these machines sell well if priced well over $1000usd. Technics has a significant history but it's 2019 and the landscape has changed considerably. Their SL-1500 will have to compete with many other options and younger buyers will likely not know that Technics is/was a thing.

Times change. I would argue that Technics is very late to the party here. Asking prices so close to their Japan-made audiophile machines would be a significant mistake.

No one should be surprised that the 1500 and 1200mk7 are not built in Japan. They are built to a price point, and really where the point is will have to wait. This doesn't mean they will be bad tables, just cheaper. We will see as people start buying these to find out how they are in the real world. Panasonic isn't a newby in this audio world.

And, remember the 1500 doesn't have the strobe light, the strobe dots on the platter (so easier to mill), the speed slider, or a reverse rotation feature.

Yet, if it's true that it's more expensive then there must be something more to the feature set. ..I'd be surprised if it's just b/c of the auto lift, pre-amp and cart..

Thing is, the price doesn't translate to the cost.

It is usually adjusted to the segment of the market.

There can have same exact manufacturing cost, but selling at completely different prices.

No doubt this is exciting, but I don't need a phono preamp, and I don't need a 2M Red. An option for this table without those features would be great.

But I'm obviously not their target market. This item is aimed squarely at vinyl noobs who want to grab everything in one go.

No doubt this is exciting, but I don't need a phono preamp, and I don't need a 2M Red. An option for this table without those features would be great.

But I'm obviously not their target market. This item is aimed squarely at vinyl noobs who want to grab everything in one go.

I am an innocent bystander that somehow got hit by accident.

May have to get one to test out.....;)

The new Technics would be nice. Curious to see Teac's new TN-4D too. Announced at CES but haven't seen any pics yet....

TEAC also teased a couple of new turntables at the show: the TN-4D and TN-3B.

The TN-4D is a direct drive two-speed deck. It uses a special low-profile motor and features a static-balanced s-shaped tonearm made by SAEC. Attached at the end is a Sumiko Oyster moving magnet cartridge.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/teac-...ies-amplifiers-and-new-turntables-at-ces-2019

Just seen video posted by techno dad on the 1500c at ces with some one from technics. TT price point of $1400 w/cartridge

Back
Top Bottom