Sssss

I think you're right, I had one way back in the day but I haven't a clue where the alignment tool got off to. I've never had a stylus scale nor have I ever seen one to my knowledge. Thanks for the advice!

I reduce the sibilance adjusting the cart to bearwald.
Which one are you using?
AG.

Just the tone arm dial

Your tonearm should be parallel to the record surface, in the playing position. So, with the turntable turned off and the record on the platter, set the tonearm so it's just floating above the grooves! You want the stylus tip as close to the grooves as you can get it without touching it. When you've done that, rotate the counterweight ring (scale) to "0". Then turn the counterweight without touching the ring (scale) to 1.5 grams.

Set tracking to 2.5 and it sounds markedly better! I may go up to 3 as there is still a tiny bit of sssnake on Robert Plants lyricsss. Cymbals and tight tophats sound great now, even less popping but wasn't much to begin with as this album hasn't been played more than 5-6 times period.

If your tonearm is low mass. ADC XLM is not for you. If your stylus is not genuine, all bets are off. Jico's the only aftermarket I'd go near.

Sibilance is my LP pet peeve. Surface noise doesn't bother me, slightly off-center pressings don't bother me, but sibilance...ugh.
I've resorted to exotic stylus shapes to tame it. You may need to do the same. If JICO makes an SAS stylus for your cart, that will address the problem for sure. Pricey though.

Sibilance is my LP pet peeve. Surface noise doesn't bother me, slightly off-center pressings don't bother me, but sibilance...ugh.
I've resorted to exotic stylus shapes to tame it. You may need to do the same. If JICO makes an SAS stylus for your cart, that will address the problem for sure. Pricey though.

Most sibilance issues result from poor arm/cartridge synergy if aligned correctly with proper VTF etc. Tried everything but neither my Pickering XV15 1200E or XV15 625E would play nice with my Grace arm.

Grados worked fine, no sibilance issues, but the arm really sings with the Grace cartridge now installed.

Your recommendation of a different stylus profile might be just the ticket

It's a cheapo, $27.95. The original setup served me well for 3 decades so I believe the guy that sold it to me had it dialed in . I remember thinking when I bought it ,jeez the cartridge and stylus cost more than the TT! He said that's where the sound quality or lack thereof comes from. He just passed away about 4 mo. Ago and I now have no local stereo shop to visit ☹️ .
Anyway I do believe I need to spend a little more for a decent stylus as this thing started skipping a couple of times per each side of the 4-5 albums I played all the way through last night.
Thanks for the help,time to go to work !
Best regards Randy

Back
Top Bottom