Technics SL-1200G Speed and Wow and Flutter Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be so pessimistic or lose faith - yes they are a behemoth so you know it will take a little time to get through - talk directly with them (write) and tell them all of what you've said in this thread, you may be pleasantly surprised

I have written 3 times to the CS representative. The first time, I was ignored completely. The second time, I was told the warranty is not valid for me and I would have to pay for the repairs. My last message I communicated my disappointment. I also sent a short video and a photo of a polar plot. I was very professional every time. We'll see if they respond at all. He was pretty dismissive, so I don't expect a response.

This warranty is extended only to the original purchaser of a new product which was not sold "as is".

Not helpful as well as the fact that every member of AudioKarma who has had the pleasure of encountering any of your posts on the brand and the model is well aware of your disdain for them
Why not try just being quiet on the matter for a refreshing change - be a lot more helpful and take away a little bit of the stress in an already stressful situation for the OP
Who the hell do you think you are, you just come to this site starting augments in every thread your participate in. And now your going the tell me what I like and don't like, and where I can post? Your behavior on this site since you singed up a couple month ago it absolutely nuts. I own a SL-1200 Mk II and have no adversity on owning a good product, is it the best I have? No. The OP liked the post I made that you felt the need to lambast and insult me.

As far as this specific table, someone owes the OP some service, the dealer or Technices to take care of a defective table. He has spent a bunch of time he should not of needed to to resolve the issue.

Now stop quoting me in every thread you see me posting as you are being an annoyance and alway agumentive. <Please follow this so I don't have to report for moderation>

Last edited:
I have written 3 times to the CS representative. The first time, I was ignored completely. The second time, I was told the warranty is not valid for me and I would have to pay for the repairs. My last message I communicated my disappointment. I also sent a short video and a photo of a polar plot. I was very professional every time. We'll see if they respond at all. He was pretty dismissive, so I don't expect a response.
Good luck db

^I don't agree that Technics or a dealer "owes" the purchaser any service as they say warranty is not transferable. It would be nice if they helped but they have no obligation. Looks like the dealer was wrong in that regard. The original receipt is also required according to the document.

Maybe the original owner does have some onus of compensation depending on his representation of the product but that's a different matter.

Last edited:
All warranty repairs are at the sole discretion of Panasonic and there is no mention of transferability - YEA or NAY, so that's good
With a turntable from an overseas maker I'd be surprised if there was due to the nature of the beast though, but they don't print it so you may be good (legally)
I have read the warranty carefully and the dealer does NOT have the authority to transfer or even tell you that a warranty transfer is possible - see above
These are the times when dealing directly with an established dealer (who has some leverage and latitude with bending the 'rules' and making things happen, face to face, pays off and makes a good argument for brick and mortar but I digress and is beside the point at hand
On the positive side there is NO mention of the dreaded "original purchaser" limitations but you do need that receipt with a date and purchase amount - that they make clear
The warranty also suggests that if you cannot obtain satisfactory results to write them at the address provided
That's what I'd do and quit wasting your time with flaky dealers (that will often overstep with words just to get you out of their hair, regardless of brand)
Here's a copy of the manual (and warranty) if you don't already have it
Good luck
https://www.technics.com/support/downloads/data/operating-instructions/SL-1200G_PPS_TQBM0005.pdf
I also think that if the seller was on the up and up and a square deal kind of a guy he'd get his dealer to resolve this for you - but one way or the other you're probably going to have to be shipping this table to some place anyway - so at this juncture I'd just deal with Panasonic from this point forward and save what would most likely be a redundant mailing
The seller should also/also have, provided you with the receipt - why would/should you have to chase it down? That's the most concerning part of this growing story

Afterthought:
Did you try re-seating the platter as I suggested? Clean the platter bore and spindle with an optical grade cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol, and or, a shed free electrical paper wipe the same, apply a THIN film of oil to the spindle with clean fingers and try that
I'm repeating myself now but I have cured this very same issue by doing said same

I don't think that is the case. I snipped this from the US warranty document.

The relevant section being as follows: This warranty is extended only to the original purchaser of a new product

technics.PNG

Last edited:
We'll see if they respond at all. He was pretty dismissive, so I don't expect a response.

I would also send the the Dealer and Technics a link to this thread.

Personally I don't care who has an obligation or not, if we are starting already see issues with these newly designed table I would think Technics should fix it to save their name.

While I agree that it'd be great if Technics fixed the table for free, one table having issues isn't exactly a representative sample.

While I agree that it'd be great if Technics fixed the table for free, one table having issues isn't exactly a representative sample.
This site knows of "1" because of this thread, other than that, we don't know how many are having a problem or how many have been fixed under warranty if any, AK is not the only audio site.

I can’t speak for Technics, but from personal experience, the realties of being, or being in, a big business can often mean your desire to do whatever you can for a customer is oft overruled by the realities of setting precedent, and the exposure and liability of doing so.

My only point is that we can't make any conclusions about the reliability or performance of these tables or modern Technics products in general based solely on this single sample.

I'm not in the market for a new 1200 series table so I haven't set about using the Google machine to see if there are widespread problems.

My suspicion is the ebay seller , original owner , knew the TT was malfunctioning maybe because of his mishandling/accident

IMO -- Decibel is doing the right thing... send it back , get $$$ returned then forgetaboutit

Personally I don't care who has an obligation or not, if we are starting already see issues with these newly designed table I would think Technics should fix it to save their name.

A frustration to be sure... but it would be a mistake, IMHO, for someone to allow this one-off experience to influence whether or not they buy one of Technics new tables. For one, who really knows for sure how the original purchaser treated the table. ..Something might have fallen on it, maybe he subjected it the "I punch it!!" test like you have demonstrated on youtube with your SOTA table, or who knows what else.

With far fewer moving parts than, say, a suspended BD table, there really isn't that much that can go wrong with these tables. So I would not expect issues to be common. Still... Technics has to know that someone buying their tables is apt to sell it at some point - perhaps to help fund another Technics table - and should therefore have a reputable and eager service network in place. If the OP had a nearby service center that could repair it for, say $100, it would probably be preferable to the hassle of sending it back and waiting for the original owner to get it repaired. So, it's a double issue: Warranty extending to second owners (which is rare) AND having a robust service network in place. I don't not see, however, how these tables are apt to problem prone.

How do we know its a manufacturing defect? Could it not have happened in shipping? Did the original seller actually ship a turntable that was in proper working order in good faith? I also think we have a sample size of 1, which does not indicate a trend of anything. Heck to be forthright, the OP could have dropped the platter when unpacking it. Or the original seller could have done it, there is no way to know for sure. Truth is we are not in a position to evaluate the table at all, or what this "manufacturing defect" is, all we can conclude is that there is a speed variation, but not the how or why it is happening.

Cheers
Mister Pig

he maybe have subjected it the "I punch it test!" like you have demonstrated on youtube with your SOTA table
Not sure how this comment is relevant to anything going on here other than you taking a shot at someone.
With far fewer moving parts than, say, a suspended BD table, there really isn't that much that can go wrong with these tables.
But there are far more electronic parts present in the Technics, which is likely where the issue lies with this specific table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom