Anybody use a TKN22 stylus on a Signet TK7e?

DrTim

Came across a Signet Tk7e on a thrift store table about 5 years ago. I bought a 30 dollar (don't remember which model) stylus and liked the sound of the cart but know it can sound better. Thinking of upgrading to the TKN22 stylus being offered for $130 at a popular online gear store. That price is at the top of what I would like to pay for a stylus for the Tk7e. My 65 year old ears have their limitations.

Currently using a combination of Pioneer PL-530, PL-560 or PL-518 as my main tables. I also sometimes use a SL-1200mk2. My other carts that regularly get used are a Nagaoka MP-110 or a Shure M97xe. I use Stanton and older Shure carts for the common albums.

Could use some insight from people with experience & help answering these questions:

Has anyone bought a TKN 22 stylus for a Signet TKe cart and what were your impressions?

Will this stylus/cart combo work well with the turntable tonearms mentioned above?

Thanks

That seems like a pretty high price for a bonded 2x7 stone on a pretty standard cantilever. I have a ATN 440mlb on a TK3Ea that sounds pretty fine. The ATN 132Ep would be a better choice for the $. You would get a Nude .2x.7 on a tapered cantilever. I believe any group L or K stylus will fit these.

That seems like a pretty high price for a bonded 2x7 stone on a pretty standard cantilever. I have a ATN 440mlb on a TK3Ea that sounds pretty fine. The ATN 132Ep would be a better choice for the $. You would get a Nude .2x.7 on a tapered cantilever. I believe any group L or K stylus will fit these.

i would hazard that the 132EP is the better sounding, and as you mentioned better $$

Appreciate the replies, folks.

You are probably right revox-b77. I was thinking the TKN 22 was over priced because of them being a low stock item. One good thing about the TKN 22 is that I have a gift card for a site that carries them so it wouldn't really be an out of pocket purchase. The ATN 132Ep that you mentioned was not even on my radar but it definitely looks to be the better build & choice. It is something I will strongly consider. (The only one I can find that has the specs you mentioned is at the stereo needles site.)

In my searching, I only came across one Vividline stylus that I think might fit the cart. It is 40 dollars less than the TKN 22 & ATN 132Ep. Something to think about.

The AT 140LC looks like a true winner and I bet it sounds great. However, right now, it is above my budget.

The search continues. I'm still open to suggestions and opinions. Looks like I need to head over to CL and list a couple turntables to sweeten the stylus money fund.

IIRC the TK7E requires the older AT15/AT20-type stylii. You'd need a TK7Ea to use the ATN440MLa, ATN140LC, ATN132Ep, or other similar stylii. Your best choice may be the old-stock TKN22, or perhaps LP Gear's ATN15VL.

Thank you Dr. Tim for starting this thread even though nothing new has been said. I recently found a TK7e on a CL purchase (Dual 1229). The TK22 is the only stylus I've seen that is a perfect match as far as the plastic parts. I realize other styles of AT styluses may be functional with this cart. The stylus that came with the cart has a big 2 on it and actually seems to have some life left. I'll keep it while I'm working out the bugs of this Dual TT. I am also concerned about the price of the TK22. My concern about the AT15vl that was mentioned is it looks to be too narrow to actually fit on the rather wide TK7e body. Hard to say for sure.
Dr. Tim maybe with the buying power of two people we can work a better deal on price LOL

Last edited:
An ATN12S will definitely fit a TK7E, and so should also fit the TK5E. In fact, if you order LPGear's "TK7S" stylus you'll get an ATN12S, but will have the "privilege" of paying $12 more than their price for a clearly-labeled ATN12S. I know this from firsthand experience. It does fit my TK7E, but the $12 premium and the lack of details is poor practice on LPGear's part.

The ATN12S and ATS12S are supposed to be useable on the same bodies, with the only difference being the presence of a stylus guard on the ATN12S. But I haven't personally used an ATS12S.

This is a quote from Skriefal in 2010.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/signet-tk5e-replacement-stylus.319255/#post-3957366
But that was 9 years ago. I find AT carts very confusing. Some styluses have round plugs for fitting into the cart and some are rectangle. I'm getting a headache.

Last edited:
I find the whole thing confusing too, BobHol. I sent an email to LP gear on Friday morning asking if the ATN15VL would fit the TK7e. No reply yet. Not really holding my breath waiting for that reply. Thanks to skriefal for bringing the ViVid Line stylus to my attention. It fits into my price range and looks to be something I would be willing to try. Still looking.

Update: Just got an email from L P Gear confirming what skriefal already told us. Yes the ATN15VL does fit the Tk7e. Probably what I'm going to buy in a couple days unless anyone wants to weigh in with other options.

Last edited:
Hope to hear from DrTim on his stylus purchase. I had been using my TK7e as I found it on my Dual 1229. But recently found the bass to be very tubby and loud . Didn't like it at all. Replaced it with a Shure M97e and the upper bass came down a little. So many variables. But human error is always possible. Just found that I had my new preamp set to Moving Coil. No wonder I had the volume set so high. Sorry folks..

Last edited:
An update for this thread.

I was lucky to have a fellow AKer give me the opportunity to listen to a TKN22 with low hours with my TK7e. Thanks to the AKer that reached out to me. Much appreciated. I also ordered a vivid line LP Gear's ATN15VL recommended by skriefal. I fitted the TKN22 on the TK7e and listened for a week. I was not overly impressed but was really happy with how the cartridge reproduced woodwinds and stand up bass. It was a pleasant sound overall and would be glad to have it in my collection. But the going price of a new TKN22 would make it low on my value scale.

Now the ATN15VL is a different beast matched with the TK7e. Has an overall sound that doesn't make me go WOW, but it is an upgrade over the TKN22 considering prices for new. I would compare it to my Nagaoka MP-110 although I have not given the vivid line time to break in yet. The ATN15 holds up well across all variety of music that I played.

Comparing the TKN22 and ATN15VL, if I was buying new, I would go for the ATN15VL. Don't get me wrong, the TKN22 and TK7e is a mighty fine combination in a low light, end of the day, brandy in hand kinda way. If you are looking to listen to Electric Ladyland, then the vivid line is the one you reach for.

Back
Top Bottom