Scott 310E help

The Scott 310E was the only Scott piece I ever owned or used that I really respected. New out of the Box it was a fantastic unit. A little mantance once a year and they were like new. We had two at the radio station to monitor our broadcasts. I chose a Mac MR 71 to match my C-22 and MI-3. It performed very well, but the sound was a little heavier than the Scott, which had a little drier sound I thought. Anyway, hope you get it working. It really going to need a thorough tune up. Good luck with that.

The Scott 310E was the only Scott piece I ever owned or used that I really respected. New out of the Box it was a fantastic unit. A little mantance once a year and they were like new. We had two at the radio station to monitor our broadcasts. I chose a Mac MR 71 to match my C-22 and MI-3. It performed very well, but the sound was a little heavier than the Scott, which had a little drier sound I thought. Anyway, hope you get it working. It really going to need a thorough tune up. Good luck with that.

Thank you!
I need to get it in for an alignment and I'm looking forward to using it as I listen to FM most every night. Hopefully the alignment will get rid of the slight whistle it has between stations on the lower end of the dial. It does seem to be picking up an unusual amount of stations as it is but I've only listened to it through headphones so I'm not sure how good it sounds.

Thank you!
I need to get it in for an alignment and I'm looking forward to using it as I listen to FM most every night. Hopefully the alignment will get rid of the slight whistle it has between stations on the lower end of the dial. It does seem to be picking up an unusual amount of stations as it is but I've only listened to it through headphones so I'm not sure how good it sounds.
19 kc pilot tone perhaps?id love to have a 310e.i love my tuners and own several scott tuners and sherwoods

19 kc pilot tone perhaps?id love to have a 310e.i love my tuners and own several scott tuners and sherwoods
That very well could be the 19kc pilot tone. I really love tuners as well and I love the round dial of the Scott's. The Sherwood tuners are real sleepers. I've owned a Sherwood S-2200 (AM and FM) since I was 15 years old and it's one of my favorite tuners. I don't find the 310e to be the most attractive of the Scott tuner line but with a matching amplifier it will be a unique pair. Plus it seems to be exceptionally sensitive. It is a little noisy though with the relays clicking.

I have a 310E somewhere. I had to drive to Eastern New Jersey from Baltimore to get it because there was no shipping (and maybe why the cost was reasonable). My tuner has some cosmetic issues and I have not tried to work on it. (too much "stuff" in queue). But, it doesn't get much better than the 310E. For sure, worth keeping...

Well I did all I can on the 310E before it goes to my friend for work and alignment. The relays started working, guess they were intermittent from non use for some time. My friend said not to clean the relay contacts as Scott used motor start relays that switch current and were not made for audio. He will keep the originals on top and add new audio grade relays underneath. He's a retired RF engineer and sure knows his stereo items!

It sure sounds beautiful! I swapped out the knobs as I like the metal ones better. I'll keep the original plastic ones if I ever sell it.

Scott 310E small.jpg

I have a 310E somewhere. I had to drive to Eastern New Jersey from Baltimore to get it because there was no shipping (and maybe why the cost was reasonable). My tuner has some cosmetic issues and I have not tried to work on it. (too much "stuff" in queue). But, it doesn't get much better than the 310E. For sure, worth keeping...

I hope you get to your 310E and get it working. After listening to it the last couple nights on a stereo system I've found it to be one of the best sounding tuners I've owned. Sounds similar to a high end solid state Kenwood I used to own with exceptional stereo separation and lifelike sound.

I have a couple small nicks on the outer frame so its not perfect but the face is as good as can be found. The automatic stereo/mono is working (and lamp) and the threshold works well. The squelch is not working so that's another thing for my friend to fix as well as the slight whistle. The squelch lamp lights when first turned on but goes out as soon as it is warmed up and the knob is not muting the hiss between stations. I'm going to refinish the case while it's being repaired.

Last edited:
Well I dropped the 310E tuner off today and thought I'd update as someone else may have this whistling problem. Last night I was able to get the squelch working by cleaning one of the relays. I was thinking that they may get replaced but I wanted to test it out with the relays both working.

Anyway, the whistling problem was happening under 100MHZ on the dial. By last night it was so bad that the stations in that area became unlistenable as well. Anything above 100MHZ was fine. Right after I put it on his bench he removed the front top cover and then the cover for the tuning cap. He cleaned all of the points where the stator shaft touch ground. He then added small dabs of lubrication and put the cover back on. Hooked everything up and the whistle was gone! With equipment he then tested the squelch and threshold settings and said they were working as they should. We then listened to a quiet station with just voice and he noticed a slight background hum. He swapped the RCA 6U8 mixer tube (which was new) as he said it had cathode leakage and caused what is known as modulation hum. His report was the tuner is working exceptionally well and would probably need what he called "just a touch up on the alignment". He noted, as I did, that stereo had great separation as well as balanced sound and said he would check the MPX section out for measurements.

He went on to tell me about the relays. Scott used heavy duty relays made for switching high current. From what he said the contacts, when switching high voltage arc every time the contacts open. This keeps them clean and burns off the oxidation. In the Scott there are no arcs so the contacts get oxidized. We decided to just clean and keep the original relays as they are working well and they are in exceptional condition. I left the tuner with him to clean, check things and to do the alignment. I'll pick it up on Sunday and he said he will have about a half hour labor in it. Lastly I asked if he would make me a copy of the owners manual (he has one) and I was told he would when he digs it out.

One other thing is the couple of nicks in the outside frame around the face kinda bother me. The face is really, really nice so my eyes always go to the nicks. He said he will go over how to fix the frame to look like new :) I'll update on that later on.

if you ever gwt a chance if you like am get one one of their earlier am tuners .they have a great bandwidth as I'm sure you know that already.i have a few myself along with a lt110 chocolate faceple version.had the matching lk 72 but I sold it.i somehow seem to sell amplifiers but always hang onto my tuners hence my username..
:biggrin:

I forgot to add that when you get a copy of the manual please send me a copy or just load it into the ak database.regards,
Chris

glad to see things are shaping up and once gone through youll have one of scotts TOTL tuners just a step below the 4310.
fwiw heres a article written about scott tuners.
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/antique-collector-installment-2-scott-tuners/

Thank you for the article! Great info I haven't seen as of yet. I don't have any of the earlier stand alone AM tuners but would like to. I do have a 399 receiver and a 355 tuner/pre both which have very good AM.

I'd be happy to make you a copy of the manual when he digs it up.

Well I picked up the tuner yesterday and everything is working great! Very sensitive and beautiful sound. I'm still working on the case but couldn't wait to put it where I spend most of my time....in the garage behind me at the workbench :D It replaced a Fisher tuner that I really liked as the 310E gets a few of the uncompressed college stations (plus one 40 miles away) without background noise of any kind and without an outside antenna. It will sometime go inside as I'd like to match it with a Scott 299D amplifier. For now it is the best performing tube tuner I've owned so it won't be easy to replace.

Scott 310E.jpg

...It will sometime go inside as I'd like to match it with a Scott 299D amplifier. ...
Or maybe an LK-72B, essentially the same as a 299D. However... the LK-72B was usually a kit (there were factory wired versions, very scarce) so be cautious of the construction.

Or maybe an LK-72B, essentially the same as a 299D. However... the LK-72B was usually a kit (there were factory wired versions, very scarce) so be cautious of the construction.
Great and thanks for the information. I have a Fisher KX-200 that was a kit and it was assembled very professionally. I just got lucky on that one as I didn't know it was a kit version when I bought it and didn't look under the hood. Sometimes the kit versions sound better as they had a simpler circuit.

Finally got time to finish the beat up cabinet yesterday. I've been using this fantastic tuner almost every night. Goes perfectly with the other items in my "workbench system".

Garage system sml.jpg

Nice!

You now need a cosmetically perfect 299D or 222D to go with it! Then, the quest gets worse. You will have to find a matching tuner for the Fisher!!!

Hey, thanks for this very informative thread! If you ever decide you want anyone to work on your Scott, Foster Blair is the guy who restored my 4312. Steven Stone wrote it up in The Absolute Sound years ago as his favorite so it will always be valuable. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom