I Pad or Samsung Tablet for streaming ?

PanheadXR290

Anybody here using an I Pad or Samsung Tablet for streaming music to your home HiFi rig ? If so which tablet are you using and do you use wifi or the HDMI connection ? I'm currently streaming from my Samsung smart phones HDMI port to my HiFi and TV set for movies and music via Amazon Prime ,Netflix and YouTube's Music app ,YouTube's Music app is wonderful & my phone streams as good of quality as CD ,however ,I would like to use something more dedicated to the HiFi and TV than a phone ,I would prefer a Samsung tablet over an apple I Pad but I'm not dead set against getting an I Pad if it streams better ,any thoughts would be helpful as I'm heading out to look at tablets now .

I use my old iPhone 4S through a DAC for streaming - and remote control (spotify feature) via my iPad from listening Chair. So a phone is a great way to go as long as you use an app that allows remote control - Spotify should do the trick I think.

I use my old iPhone 4S through a DAC for streaming - and remote control (spotify feature) via my iPad from listening Chair. So a phone is a great way to go as long as you use an app that allows remote control - Spotify should do the trick I think.

I've been using a hard wired connection from my phones HDMI out to a dual ended cable that has HDMI and USB to my C-2500 preamp ,I was hoping I could get some form of tablet I could leave sitting on my rack and scroll through the app using a wireless keyboard from my listening chair ,i think what your doing is the same thing I want to do except you use the I Pad instead of a wireless keyboard ,am I correct ? If so then I know the gear I've gotta buy ,I was gonna go with the McIntosh MB-50 streamer but I have heard it's extremely limited .

I am using an Asus tablet. Sadly, I use the headphone jack, but it makes sound through the stereo in the garage.

How is the sound from the headphone jack ? I've connected my phone to my car stereos head unit that way and it sounds good but I'm in a truck ,with road noise and no real high fidelity it's hard to gauge .

It's not for critical listening, but it's surprisingly good. I have an old Galaxy S3 that I tried to use, but the power jack is wonky so I got the tablet. A whole computer for under $200. Yay me. I also use it to feed pink noise and other tones for testing my project speakers.

I've been using a hard wired connection from my phones HDMI out to a dual ended cable that has HDMI and USB to my C-2500 preamp ,I was hoping I could get some form of tablet I could leave sitting on my rack and scroll through the app using a wireless keyboard from my listening chair ,i think what your doing is the same thing I want to do except you use the I Pad instead of a wireless keyboard ,am I correct ? If so then I know the gear I've gotta buy ,I was gonna go with the McIntosh MB-50 streamer but I have heard it's extremely limited .
Yes - I use the ipad vs keyboard. The Spotify app has a connect feature - where you can see all the spotify devices in your house from one place and control them - awesome feature.

I use both iPad and iPhone to stream Spotify premium to my Chromecast audio then into my amp via TOSLINK, this uses the dac in the amp. I’ve had very few issues with this setup. I have a Samsung tablet, but my iPad kills it on battery life. When I stream over my laptop I go through my Oppo dac and then into my amp.

I ended up buying a Samsung tablet that I can hardware to my tv as a monitor ,or for tv streaming ,then a USB connection to keep tablet charged ,then optical from the tablet to my preamp ,then a wireless keyboard to control it all ,I like being able to leave the tablet in it's charge cradle while I'm actively streaming ,I already have a subscription to YouTube music but I'm gonna try out Spotify at the same time once I've figured out working everything in to my system ,thanks for the help ,I'll post how well the rig works within the next few days ,I prolly won't get around to hooking everything up for 2 or 3 days until I finish the presmp shootout I'm running now .

I have an OLD iPad, going through a TEAC DS-H01, to my big old Yamaha RX-V3000 in the garage. Little chilly out there right now, but I’m happy with the sound. Easy to switch between the iPad and a classic iPod.

The iPad is my kid’s old device from high school; I deleted everything but the streaming app, works great!

I ended up buying a Samsung tablet that I can hardware to my tv as a monitor ,or for tv streaming ,then a USB connection to keep tablet charged ,then optical from the tablet to my preamp ,then a wireless keyboard to control it all ,I like being able to leave the tablet in it's charge cradle while I'm actively streaming ,I already have a subscription to YouTube music but I'm gonna try out Spotify at the same time once I've figured out working everything in to my system ,thanks for the help ,I'll post how well the rig works within the next few days ,I prolly won't get around to hooking everything up for 2 or 3 days until I finish the presmp shootout I'm running now .

I'm curious about your set-up.

I use my Samsung tablet as a remote control via wifi. I control streaming from Tunein internet radio to a Chromecast audio. (I used Spotify Premiun for a while, but cancelled.)

Last year, I also tried streaming from Netflix to Chromecast, but the Android control app wasn't reliable. I don't know if reliability has improved.

The way I used the tablet involved no hardware connections to the tablet. The tablet simply instructs the service (e.g., Neflix, Spotify, Tunein, etc) where to cast the content. (You can turn the tablet off and the music or movie is not interrupted. In other words, the content is not hairpinned through the tablet.)

Have you considered casting?

Is your method more reliable?

I like the flexibility that casting from my iPad or iPhone gives me. Casting Spotify premium now from iPad and typing this. My WiFi is reliable and the Netgear router had been solid.

I'm curious about your set-up.

I use my Samsung tablet as a remote control via wifi. I control streaming from Tunein internet radio to a Chromecast audio. (I used Spotify Premiun for a while, but cancelled.)

Last year, I also tried streaming from Netflix to Chromecast, but the Android control app wasn't reliable. I don't know if reliability has improved.

The way I used the tablet involved no hardware connections to the tablet. The tablet simply instructs the service (e.g., Neflix, Spotify, Tunein, etc) where to cast the content. (You can turn the tablet off and the music or movie is not interrupted. In other words, the content is not hairpinned through the tablet.)

Have you considered casting?

Is your method more reliable?

I'm not sure if my method of hard wiring the tablet to the system is more reliable ,I'm not sure if my method sounds better either ,I just like having a hard connection to my preamp weather I'm using my phone to stream via HDMI out ,or this new tablet I have hard wired and blutooth a wireless keyboard for control ,the main reasons I'm set on hard wiring my streaming devices is because this tablet will have a single use of supporting my streaming apps and will be a stationary piece of the system ,I also really like being able to have the tablet charge itself at all times while streaming ,I can only have the permenant charging if I'm hard wired ,I'm not against using another route to go about streaming if it's better , especially since I'm a relative noob when it comes to streaming off anything other than my phone via HDMI .

Hi,
Which Samsung tablet did you buy with a optical out ?

Thanks tablet itself dosent have optical ,it's the docking station/keyboad that has optical ,USB and HDMI , I ended up taking the tablet back & exchanging it for a Galaxy 9 phone that has the same docking station but without keyboard and distracting monitor ,I'm getting the hang of this now that I've ran Best buy ragged .

If you have a hdmi input on your system or TV, you should try a Ruko stick + , it has Deezer , Youtube , Spotify and amazon music apps and sound really good streaming over Wifi .
I been also trying all these steamers lately , and the Ruko is the simplest to set up, and sound the best.
I had been using a LG tablet bluetooth to a Audioengine B1, which is also good, but I think the Ruko is better.
The only thing it that the Ruko don't have the Tidal app, which I don't care for anyway.

Back
Top Bottom