Tracking Force for OM10 Stylus on OM5E Cartridge

bigjazzboy

Hello all!

On my U-Turn Orbit Plus, I recently installed an OM10 stylus (not the Super, just the basic one) on my OM5E cartridge body, after reading here and elsewhere that the OM line styli are interchangable for the most part. My question arising out of this is one of tracking force.

On Ortofon’s website, the OM5E with its corresponding stylus is listed as having an tracking force range of 1.5g to 2g with a recommended of 1.75g. The OM10 stylus on the other hand is listed as 1.25g to 1.75g with a recommended of 1.5g.

So, with these numbers, how should I set my VTF? Should I follow the OM5E range or the OM10 one? I went ahead, perhaps uselessly, with setting the VTF (using a digital gauge) to 1.5g (the OM10 stylus revommended). Was this a mistake?

Thanks in advance for y’all’s help / I am happy to provide more info.

Timely posts. I am listening to an OM body with an aftermarket cheapie elliptical today. First time using an OM and I've been quite happy with the sound of the cart, tracking at 1.5g.

Thanks for the help! I have a corresponding question, and though it might be a moot point to bring it up now, here goes . . . so I didn't think to check the tracking force until today--a hunch, an intuition, some gut anxiety propelled me to--because, as I mentioned, I was told that the OM styli are utterly interchangeable. But I have been listening with the OM10 in the OM5E body since Christmas Day, so a little over two weeks now, and before I changed the tracking force to 1.5g today, it was at 1.8g (per my first gauge reading this afternoon). I now know the VTF limit for the OM10 is 1.75 . . . so, having tracked at .5g over the max range for about two weeks, do y'all think I have done any damage? To my records or my needle?

I realize there's no going back if I have done damage, obviously, but I feel compelled to pose the question.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help! I have a corresponding question, and though it might be a moot point to bring it up now, here goes . . . so I didn't think to check the tracking force until today--a hunch, an intuition, some gut anxiety propelled me to--because, as I mentioned, I was told that the OM styli are utterly interchangeable. But I have been listening with the OM10 in the OM5E body since Christmas Day, so a little over two weeks now, and before I changed the tracking force to 1.5g today, it was at 1.8g (per my first gauge reading this afternoon). I now know the VTF limit for the OM10 is 1.75 . . . so, having tracked at .5g over the max range for about two weeks, do y'all think I have done any damage? To my records or my needle?

I realize there's no going back if I have done damage, obviously, but I feel compelled to pose the question.

Thanks again!
No you did not damage a thing. Heck, you could have that much error in the measurement.

The OM bodies are the same. Use the stylus recommendation always. The OM 10 stylus at 1.5 is a good setting, let it break in and enjoy.

If you have a low mass tonearm (10 grams or less), the original Ortofon OM 20 will be a great step up in the future. It could be the sweet spot in the OM series.

I must chime in again to say how pleased I've been by an OM body with TVOM cheapie 4541-DE elliptical. It is perhaps the most neutral cart, but not dry and clinical, I've used and is making good music on a PLX-1000 as I write. Good across the spectrum, not warm and smooth like my Shures and Grado, not tilted toward the highs like several ATs, much less clinical than the 2m blue I owned, probably more detailed than the AT 211 bodies. Really good, surprisingly so. I'll probably buy an upgraded stylus for it from LPGear or TTN coming up, to see just how good it can be.

I must chime in again to say how pleased I've been by an OM body with TVOM cheapie 4541-DE elliptical. It is perhaps the most neutral cart, but not dry and clinical, I've used and is making good music on a PLX-1000 as I write. Good across the spectrum, not warm and smooth like my Shures and Grado, not tilted toward the highs like several ATs, much less clinical than the 2m blue I owned, probably more detailed than the AT 211 bodies. Really good, surprisingly so. I'll probably buy an upgraded stylus for it from LPGear or TTN coming up, to see just how good it can be.

For some reason those cheap generic OM styli seem to perform rather well, far better than the Shure ones for example. My OM10E for 20 euro delivered is detailed and sounds nice at 1.4gm.

I must chime in again to say how pleased I've been by an OM body with TVOM cheapie 4541-DE elliptical. . .
What is TVOM? My Google search didn't seem to come up with anything related to styli.

Also, how would you say it differs from a stock Ortofon OM stylus?

TheVoiceOfMusic.com--a wonderful site for finding bargain styli and all sorts of other bits for turntables. I can't compare it to a genuine Ortofon stylus because it's the only tip I've heard on an OM. If there is a down side to the OMs BTW, it is the very, very high pricing on their OM20, OM30, OM40 styli. I'm never going to pay asking for them, but instead will try something from the aftermarket, like the vivid line tip from LPGear for $129. We'll see.

The sweet but painful spot for me is the 20 or 30. Be aware that the stylus compliance changes as you go up the line. An arm that's the bomb with an OM10 might not be optimal for the OM30.

The OEM Ortofons styli are available at reasonable prices.

The sweet but painful spot for me is the 20 or 30. Be aware that the stylus compliance changes as you go up the line. An arm that's the bomb with an OM10 might not be optimal for the OM30.
I know that was true in the past, but Ortofon's website now shows that all the styli from the Stylus 7 through to the Stylus 40 have the same compliance rating, all listed as:

Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 25 µm/mN

The 1S, 3E, and 5E are all slightly lower at 20 µm/mN

On the one hand, I can't disagree with you. If you think of the OM line in comparison to the 2M range, then the OM20 would compare to the 2m blue yes? In my case though, I picked up the OM body from another AKer for a very reasonable price, and in searching I see several aftermarket options that are appealing, $129 and under. For whatever reason, I can't see paying (for example) $170 for the OM20 stylus.

The OEM Ortofons styli are available at reasonable prices.

On the one hand, I can't disagree with you. If you think of the OM line in comparison to the 2M range, then the OM20 would compare to the 2m blue yes? In my case though, I picked up the OM body from another AKer for a very reasonable price, and in searching I see several aftermarket options that are appealing, $129 and under. For whatever reason, I can't see paying (for example) $170 for the OM20 stylus.
Yes, the OM 20 would compare to the Blue in price and stature within its line.

The OM 20 would be a great choice for a low mass tone arm ( 10 and less), the Blue would do better on lower medium (11 grams and up to about 15).

I greatly prefer the tonal qualities of the OM series over the 2M. Just my opinion here of course.

n my case though, I picked up the OM body from another AKer for a very reasonable price, and in searching I see several aftermarket options that are appealing, $129 and under. For whatever reason, I can't see paying (for example) $170 for the OM20 stylus.

I had similar feelings about the Ortofon OM 30 stylus.

I was "sold/given" a restored Dual 604 with the Ortofon OMB 20 cartridge and was adamant that is as far as I would go.

One day I chanced upon a new Ortofon OM 30 stylus for very little money and bought it gleefully.

After listening to it for a short time, I am now convince that the nude fine line stylus from Ortofon is worthy! :bowdown:

Should point out one thing in your initial post. The OM Super refers to an upgraded cartridge body of the OM series. The stylus is the same for either the standard or Super.

And for generic styli, unless it's specifically listed as an upgraded stylus shape (Hyperelliptical, Shibata, Vividline) I doubt there is any difference between a stylus marked 'OM10' or one marked 'OM20' or one marked 'OM30' ... except perhaps the price.

Back
Top Bottom