Does it seem like the activity at AK has slowed?

Does it seem like the forums have slowed down in the last year.

• No, not at all.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Maybe just a little.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Seems like there is less active lately.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • Yes, it's slowed down noticeably.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Holy crap, where did everyone go.

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters
I do think the site has "lost" a lot of activity, but it is "that time of the year"--lawns to mow, gardens to plant, winter damages to repair, graduations, family reunions to attend, and just plain "too nice to hang out inside" when you could be outdoors. I am a contractor, so this is into my busy season, but I am being kind of limited by some health issues at the moment, so not working as much as I would normally at this time of the year.

Hope all is OK . Take care of yourself . Being self-employed and staying healthy is tough .

Hope all is OK . Take care of yourself . Being self-employed and staying healthy is tough .

Thank you for the well-wishes. I am basically OK, but not up to par. Again, thank you for your concern--we all get old sometime, that's just life--hopefully I'll still be here tomorrow, that's all you can ask for.

Thank you for the well-wishes. I am basically OK, but not up to par. Again, thank you for your concern--we all get old sometime, that's just life--hopefully I'll still be here tomorrow, that's all you can ask for.

As they say , I'm still vertical and taking nourishment . :thumbsup:

As usual, I'm late to the party. The band has left, music coming from a jukebox in the corner; streamers and balloons on the floor; and there a couple of ugly drunk chick looking at me with a look as if I don't make a play, they'll turn to each other.

I look back and see a lot of real Karma deals being offered. MOST have left. Now I see a lot of flippers who are always squeezing every last dime that they can out of a deal.

Also, humans live in the now and it was always 'the good ol days' as far as we see it.

It seems up and down, some topics can liven up participation more than others for a time. Sometime life happens elsewhere, and diverts attention.

Three years later (well almost), I think Facebook groups have started to supplant forums to a point. I still prefer forums though.

Seconded: the migration to Facebook by much of AK's "older" (read: early joiners circa 2002-2006) membership has, o'er the past couple of years, increased substantially. A few dip in 'n' out, but many (many) prefer and pretty much stick to FB, rarely dipping a toe back @ AK waters. Others have drifted on to other audio forums, while still others have cut (seemingly) all ties w/ AK, old guard and new, in pursuit of (perhaps) new/different hobbies, greater attention to "real world" affairs, family, friends, work, and otherwise, etc. Just my dva kopecks on the subject, some of which I know to be the case, other factors purely guesswork on my part.

Too late to have cast a vote in the accompanying poll, but my selection, were the poll still "active", would have been "Seems like there is less active lately.", but w/ the qualification that this pertains mainly to the (as mentioned above) "older" membership. In such threads as the Music Forum's thread What Are You Listening To Right Now? -- and more, there seems to be a vibrant "sub-community", comprised of "newer membership" and a few of us "older" members, that is VERY active, to the point where it's nearly developed into a forum w/in the forum. Lotta good folk inhabiting that thread, holding eaach other up, trading barbs non-stop, etc. General Off-Topic still seems to have legs, too.

I don't see myself migrating to Facebook or horsebox or any other similar platform.
Horsebox is my term for Facebook because of Conan O'Brian fumbling the name in it's early days, and this;
hump-dar-33.jpg

Hipster that I am, I eschewed Facebook before it was cool to eschew Facebook.
Just enjoyin' the Schadenfreude now -- as we hipsters are wont to do.

:beatnik:

In all seriousness, I do miss those folks, and this place has, regrettably, largely (EDIT) jumped the shark, IMO -- but the cost of finding 'em (i.e., going to FB) is too high.

been a member here for at least 13 years I think.
My first visit here I came here looking for info on my old Sansui AU 11000, ended up buy a vintage pioneer sx reciever.; Rebuilt some Advent, RLH and Boston Acoustics A40's..A70's
After that only rarely came on board to surf topics.So for around 8 years nothing posted, just lurked.
Then 2 weeks ago saw a vintage Kenwood model 11 with Kenwood speakers, . The owner had a junk store, the reciever set by the front door, playing with all those lights attracting my attention. I asked her how much ? She was obviously a late 60's hippy, wouldn't sell it for the world, we entered into a long lengthy conversation, she was a Californian like myself, escaped to Missouri to live out our lives.
Wanting to know more about this precious Kenwood that no amount of gold could replace , I came here looking to see if it was priceless in terms of money, or as I have come to believe, it is the memories that she cant let go..I believe many of us hang on to our past memories by hanging onto anything that can stir a memory.
I think the thrill is gone from this place, but still a great place to surf..

Hipster that I am, I eschewed Facebook before it was cool to eschew Facebook.
Just enjoyin' the Schadenfreude now -- as we hipsters are wont to do.

:beatnik:

In all seriousness, I do miss those folks, and this place has, regrettably, largely (EDIT) jumped the shark, IMO -- but the cost of finding 'em (i.e., going to FB) is too high.
I fricking hate Facebook. That being said I gave up on a few forums here and while I post here and there its not that obsessive posting I was doing lets say Circa 2012

Frannie

I fricking hate Facebook. That being said I gave up on a few forums here and while I post here and there its not that obsessive posting I was doing lets say Circa 2012

Frannie
I monitor all the subforums by default and treat it as a buffet table. I see a lot more of interest than when I was in just a couple of them.

I've been lurking a lot without posting much. Just busy with other stuff. Not a big fan of Facebook. Weird and annoying interface that breaks a lot of rules about knowing what a given action is going to do.

I monitor all the subforums by default and treat it as a buffet table. I see a lot more of interest than when I was in just a couple of them.
I don't like arguing and I end up in em. Its hard to have an opinion here without someone being an ASS.

Of course I have always enjoyed our exchanges here. You are one of the good ones.

Frannie

FB is too intrusive and more than I can handle without going into overload and retreat, as I did with other forum interests that got to be too much.

I don't like arguing and I end up in em. Its hard to have an opinion here without someone being an ASS.

Of course I have always enjoyed our exchanges here. You are one of the good ones.

Frannie
Oh, I enjoy arguing ("debating") -- but not with buffoons or imbeciles, or anyone not open to an actual argument/debate where one, or both, parties' minds might be changed (or, at least, their perspectives altered). The latter (the open minded) seem to have virtually disappeared, both online and in meatspace. The former seem to be thriving. :(

Back
Top Bottom