KLH Model 6 questions

DJReese

I acquired a new to me pair of KLH Model 6's. The cabinets are in very good condition as well as the grills. I got them home and hooked them up to the Mac 1700. I immediately noticed a slight rattle in one of them. I then located the problem immediately. A loose tweeter...which led me to find out that 3 of the 4 screws were stripped out in the wood. I then removed the tweeter and immediately recognized that the magnet was not square and said made in Japan on the back. Well I was a little disappointed that it was not original.

Question these tweeters have a metal grill and say 30w on the back. I would like to find some original ones to replace these. Does anyone have the actual part #? I know that KLH made many similar speakers during this time period, and I was wondering if they used the same model tweeters which could be interchangeable .

I am still new to this vintage stuff and am learning so thanks for the patience.

Also I prolly should re cap the crossover. Does anyone have the part numbers for the caps? Where is a good place to buy them? Although I am getting highs out of the tweeters now but when I use the switch on the back I am getting a little different sound out of each click. Any suggestions?

Of the six KLH tweeters I've looked at recently, none had a part number on them.
Except, for the KLH 12, some had "M12" stamped into the metal (not inked).
Occasionally, some had a date stamped in ink on the backside.

Jef

Of the six KLH tweeters I've looked at recently, none had a part number on them.
Except, for the KLH 12, some had "M12" stamped into the metal (not inked).
Occasionally, some had a date stamped in ink on the backside.

Jef

Where would you suggest I find original replacements?

As to recapping them.....I've read some early 6's had oil caps and may not need replacement??
But if they are the common black "Temple" branded then yes replace them.

I've never owned 6's, only 5's and 23's and the Temple caps were often out of tolerance and/or leaky electrically.

Jef

The Six tweeters we're interchangable with some of the others, there is a list somewhere here on that, might be the Seventeens and Twentythrees. They come up frequently on fleabay.
Edit, whoops, now I see the link above, sorry bout that.

Last edited:
Like me, you are a member not a subscriber which I believe is $25 a year. If you are signed in go up to the top right of the page, highlight or click on your AK username and look down on the lower right of the menu that drops down and click on Account Upgrades. That should bring up a screen with a button to purchase a subscription.

If you go to the home page that shows all the forums there is a big red subscribe button on the upper right of the screen. Also Account Upgrades is in the lower right of the drop down menu that appears when you highlight or click on your username at the top right of the page brings up a subscribe button too.

The Model 17s use the same tweeter as the 6. I suspect many 17s have had their tweeters removed to fix the more popular and collectible 6s. The 17s I have suit my needs well and fortunately have their tweeters. Nice sounding vintage speakers, I would expect the 6 to be like the 17 with deeper bass.

I suspect many 17s have had their tweeters removed to fix the more popular and collectible 6s. The 17s I have suit my needs well and fortunately have their tweeters. Nice sounding vintage speakers, I would expect the 6 to be like the 17 with deeper bass.
I certainly hope that's not the case. Seventeens are wonderful speakers, and to part them for their tweeters would be a shame. I love mine, although like you said, the Sixes dig a little deeper. Seventeens are better looking, too, and have a smaller cabinet. Not intending to hijack this thread!

No offense. I figure with the smaller woofers the 17 does better in the crossover region. Mine were high for a GW find but are great for my workroom setup and were in unbelievably good shape.

Best bet either bartertown or keep checking ebay (or if they have an alert system set one up). Finding missing bits for some receivers in my collection it took some time for one to come up with a reasonable price on Ebay.

When looking for info on my 17s I found this page devoted to the early KLH speakers and systems. Shows the original prices too. Can use it to figure out which other speakers used the same tweeter. I am sure the Model 17 and its four ohm 20 cousin used the same tweeter. Looking at the list it looks like the 30 and 33 did too.

http://www.aphenos.net/electronics/speakers/klh/all_klh.htm

The switch on the back should be labeled NORMAL, DECREASE, and INCREASE. It changes the tweeter level to suit personal tastes. Do you like it a bit brighter or duller or what Henry Kloss viewed as normal. Spend some time in each setting and see which you like best. May quickly decide which setting you don't like.

I used the Dayton metalized polypropylene capacitors from Parts Express in mine. Can read the values off the capacitors accessible by removing the woofers and moving fiberglass out of the way. Mine had the black Temples with the red ends. Watch it the model 17 had a dual cap that will have two values have to keep straight which is the common side when putting in a pair to replace it.

Also if you can clearly see the thread pattern in the surround you may improve things by redoping the surround and potentially the dustcap. The fabric is very durable and the doping ensures it stays airtight. Can be acquired from vintage-ar on ebay. They are not kidding, mine went from an odd brown color to dark black when I applied it even though the compound is a very light amber color.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/metalized-polypropylene-crossover-capacitors/294

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACOUSTIC-R...287520?hash=item260caaf460:g:aUQAAOxy7rdREiMo

IMG_20180625_013013.jpg IMG_20180528_151130.jpg

Here is the picture of the back of my tweeter. My 17s are from September 1972 and they had a production date and line stamped in ink on the inside of the back panel below the crossover.

IMG_20190120_142307.jpg

See one model 6 tweeter being auctioned on ebay right now. Also one listed from a model 30 but pretty expensive. Both look similar vintage. Looks genuine a bit different magnet construction than mine.

Back
Top Bottom