Dac, Mac, and itunes.

Switch to Audirvana
For the Halibut, I've been reading reviews on this program.
Most say there is a large improvement in SQ over itunes.
Some of the reviews are a bit old, but many complain the UI is mind numbing and the search is short of impossible.
Have things improved since then?

Some of the reviews are a bit old, but many complain the UI is mind numbing and the search is short of impossible.

I don't think the UI is bad and search works for me. Easy way to find out is use the free trial, you can use your existing iTunes folder structure so don't have to duplicate any music.

Also they have been saying they are about to release a fully revamped version for a while now, which looks really good:

Is itunes feeding my DAC an analog signal through usb, or is it digital?

It's digital.

USB is an entirely digital data interface. It does not carry analogue audio, video or any other analogue application signal.

The only analogue signal it carries is that representing the bits of the USB data protocol.

And, in case you are wondering, the following interfaces are also purely digital data interfaces:

Ethernet
WiFi
SPDIF
I2S
HDMI
RS-232

Last edited:
I can't tell you how everything works but for me there is an easy way to identify analog signal vs digital. If you are using RCA cables (or balanced in some cases) it is analog. If you are using toslink, coaxial or USB it is digital. So in other words if come out of a source rca you would be using internal dac. If you come out from a source with toslink, coaxial or USB then it still needs to be converted by a dac.

I can't tell you how everything works but for me there is an easy way to identify analog signal vs digital. If you are using RCA cables (or balanced in some cases) it is analog. If you are using toslink, coaxial or USB it is digital. So in other words if come out of a source rca you would be using internal dac. If you come out from a source with toslink, coaxial or USB then it still needs to be converted by a dac.
And the one above you, thank you. Now clear as a bell!

My opinion is sound quality is better with Audirvana.

User interface isn't as good as iTunes but its OK. Playlists from iTunes import into Audirvana. However, you can't use your iPhone as a remote.

You can have both programs loaded and use one or the other as needed.

Here's a screen shot.Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 7.46.13 PM.png

My opinion is sound quality is better with Audirvana.

User interface isn't as good as iTunes but its OK. Playlists from iTunes import into Audirvana. However, you can't use your iPhone as a remote.

You can have both programs loaded and use one or the other as needed.

Here's a screen shot.View attachment 1390435
I DL'd the free version to kick the tires on. Supposedly the paid version does have an iphone remote. Also you can put audirvana into itunes mode, I''l bet you can use the iphone remote then.
I haven't tried yet.

Edit. It does work.

Last edited:
I DL'd the free version to kick the tires on. Supposedly the paid version does have an iphone remote. Also you can put audirvana into itunes mode, I''l bet you can use the iphone remote then.
I haven't tried yet.

Edit. It does work.

I was aware of the remote but older reviews said it wasn't worth bothering with it because it didn't work well. And you had to purchase the app. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

Edit. If you use ITunes Integrated mode the app will work. However, you do not get the Full Abracadabra purity of Audirvana. Use at your own risk.Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 4.58.09 PM.png

Last edited:
I have my CDs ripped to ALAC and use iTunes. recently started using a DAC. When I choose "Digital Out" in my sound prefs, iTunes no longer controls my volume, etc. Don't know how that translates, just how it works for me. I use a 2014 Mac Mini.

Sound Prefs.png

Audirvana Plus 3.2 user here. I run it on a dedicated Mac mini headless server and on my MacBookPro. I don't run it in integrated with my iTunes library. I run it in "Hog mode" playing FLAC files. The UI isn't quite as good as iTunes, but it's close and I'm certainly looking forward to ver 3.5. The A+ remote works very well on the iPhone which wasn't the case when I first started using it. I had a lot of comms trouble requiring frequent rebooting of the mini to get the remote app to work. Since I upgraded my wifi router it's very reliable. I use the mini's optical output for my AVR for listening with the living room speakers and 2 USB outputs for dedicated headphone DAC's and amps. Audirvana provides for switching outputs within the app and with the A+ Remote which is key to a headless server. iTunes requires you to go system preferences to change outputs which can't be done blind or on the iTunes Remote app. Audirvana also allows no, mixed, or only software volume control which I appreciate.
I only maintain an ALAC library for my remaining iOS devices. I have tried a number of iOS player apps on my phone, but none are remotely close to either iTunes or Audirvana in their library management capabilities.

If Audirvana is listening - now that I have a 512gB iPhone Xs that can play FLAC an iOS version of Audirvana is at the top of my wish list.

I tried Audirvana straight up for a day.
I ended up missing the little bit of EQ (bass) that I had obviously set up when I first started using the itunas.

I tried Audirvana straight up for a day.
I ended up missing the little bit of EQ (bass) that I had obviously set up when I first started using the itunas.

Audirvana has an equalizer. I think it may pull it from iTunes, I'm not sure, you have to go to the Audirvana manualScreen Shot 2019-01-20 at 7.12.04 PM.png . You can save multiple curves.

It almost starts making Audivarna moot point.
Well Audirvana is an extra step of PIA. I bought into it, and I bought it. YMMV. I do like to add some equalization, I cut some midrange and add bass. I don't believe in flat, at least not in my setup. I'm going to buy this, maybe it will be easier, definitely more fun to turn knobsschiit tone control.png :

Well Audirvana is an extra step of PIA. I bought into it, and I bought it. YMMV. I do like to add some equalization, I cut some midrange and add bass. I don't believe in flat, at least not in my setup. I'm going to buy this, maybe it will be easier, definitely more fun to turn knobsView attachment 1392878 :
I can't tell what device that is. Can you enlighten me?

Back
Top Bottom