FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

my dilvpoverty has, not that it matters, grey not blue film caps, but it looks like mine

i wonder what effect of running the 6j1 at a higher voltage makes?

looked at the colors on the resistors & it appears that they're the same in both the fx-1 & divpoetry ... i was expecting differences especially since the tube voltages are significantly different

looked at the colors on the resistors & it appears that they're the same in both the fx-1 & divpoetry ... i was expecting differences especially since the tube voltages are significantly different

Hi Annamarykhan,

Just wondering what is the power supply voltage for the dilvpoetry tube-01 ?

im running my FX audio 01 with ifi 12V and i have a dilvpoetry and another no brand one on the way also a bunch of Winged C and Voskhod coming. was not impressed by the GE JAN ones.

i for one am not surprised at the number of "brands" that use the same circuit board, but what is surprising, to me at least, are that there are "significant" different tube power supply boards and the fx has what appears to be a ferrite on the bottom of the circuit board, & the dilvpoetry does not ...

i wish i knew something about designing circuits with tubes because i wonder what the "optimum" tube voltage is?

looks like the ferrite is on both. on the fx it is on the bottom of the main board & on the dilvpoetry it is located on the top of the main board under the tube power supply board

Optimum operating voltage may or may not be ca 100VDC for audio in triode or pentode, 6.3V on the heater. Exact figures for HV as a triode audio amp are hard to find, other than the factory data sheet that shows 180 VDC max as RF pentode amp. Other than that, it's probably easy to overdrive with too much input, particularly at lower operating voltages.
Further research shows that it was used in audio previously by Telefunken, as a front end in a microphone pentode preamplifier at ca100 VDC, where overdrive was not likely.

I have a 6j1 tube preamp that has the tone controls and blue tooth connected to an emotiva A-100 BasX and Elac unifi UB5 speakers. It sounds better than my Mac 4100 with Kef ls 50’s and to my ears it’s not even close. I keep the tone controls flat. The Mac had been serviced at audio classics and exceeded factory specs. I miss that tuner though.

Speaking of simplicity I've ordered this $99 passive from Hong Kong to use with my tube amps. It's getting some great reviews and is said to better than the highly regarded Tisbury passive. No PCB with point to point hand wiring. It's hard to imagine why but high end passives can cost thousands.

s-l225.jpg

Speaking of simplicity I've ordered this $99 passive from Hong Kong to use with my tube amps. It's getting some great reviews and is said to better than the highly regarded Tisbury passive. No PCB with point to point hand wiring. It's hard to imagine why but high end passives can cost thousands.

s-l225.jpg
TBF, it's hard to imagine why a lot of higher end audio gear costs what it does. But hey, it's not my market, so I guess it can bear what it will.

s-l225.jpg

Hey that looks nice. I think the no pcb is key for getting the most out of it. The transformer ones might cost abit more to make... but i think its the "idea" of prestige that keeps the high end going.

If the aluminium chassis isnt double frozen and washed with ph balanced unicorn urine. Its clearly not high end.

s-l225.jpg
[emphasis added]

Depends on what's inside of them, I'd opine.
If it's a switch and a pot, yes, I'd concur.
But some of them are a little more high performance than a pot (or even a switched resistive attenuator) -- and that comes at a price.
Usually, ya gets what ya pays for.

www.intactaudio.com
47%20elma%20.jpg

A linear wall-wart for instance can mean anything, but is typically a cheap bare-bones effort that may be regulated or unregulated and as you pointed out may not have a stable voltage. It doesn't take much to beat a linear wall-wart. Just like it doesn't take much to beat a laptop smps. I'm betting that Alinco SMPS cost a lot more than either. SMPS's have gotten much better over the past few years and can be just as good or even better than some linear options - but it won't be cheap. If you couldn't hear a difference between the Alinco and the wall-wart, that sounds like a win for the wall-wart.

I paid around $180 for that Alinco.

I drop in the hat compared to the $1100 transceiver itsi hooked up to. But using an SMPS with a shortwave/HF rig is very tricky. I do have to use the noise offset to push switching noise out if 160m.

Back
Top Bottom