Carpet for dampening subwoofer vibrations?

ultumax

The subwoofer shakes the floor sometimes.
I was wondering if you could put carpet or something under it or around it to stop it from rattle the whole upstairs? Shakes the windows also . But I never put it over half volume due to smaller room size .
Anyone tried this or have pics ? I cannot afford or fit bass traps in my room right now.

I read an article a while ago where the writer used a bicycle inner tube (inflated, of course) under his subwoofer to accomplish the same thing.

I read an article a while ago where the writer used a bicycle inner tube (inflated, of course) under his subwoofer to accomplish the same thing.

I would think that would allow the sub to move all over the place. Inflated bike tubes are still very soft and squishy. I don't use anything but the room carpet and pad under my subs, but I have used Auralex products before. I presently use their monitor style isolation pads under the center channel speaker for my HT. It sits on top of one of my 2 channel system subs. The sub and the center speaker are never on at the same time because they are connected to 2 separate systems..

I suspect the windows (and other stuff?) are rattling due to being loose. Isolating the sub from the floor may not help. Try stuffing a wedge (paper?) between the window and frame and see if it helps.

Hint - wait until everyone else is gone...crank up the sub to stupid+1...then go hunt the rattles and see if you can fix them...move them...throw them out...whatever.

Turning down the sub is the last resort ;)

I suspect the windows (and other stuff?) are rattling due to being loose. Isolating the sub from the floor may not help. Try stuffing a wedge (paper?) between the window and frame and see if it helps.

Hint - wait until everyone else is gone...crank up the sub to stupid+1...then go hunt the rattles and see if you can fix them...move them...throw them out...whatever.

I'm pretty sure that the sub is already cranked up past 'stupid +1.'

One pane of two pain window is broken but my dad still hasn’t replaced it.
It’s a diy sub it’s on a riser not spikes .
Tho I don’t hear this window rattling as much a the one beside my subwoofer. It’s even shook the downstairs lights and my closet door wich I opened to stop the noise.

Last edited:
"The subwoofer shakes the floor sometimes."

Spikes are the cheapest and easiest remedy I can think of besides, well, turning it down. SCIENCE !

"The subwoofer shakes the floor sometimes."

Spikes are the cheapest and easiest remedy I can think of besides, well, turning it down. SCIENCE !
Ahh I see do hardware store sell spikes? Carpet underneath padding I have too it could help ? On. A low budget til I find a job so cheaper options would be nice .
Stereo integrity si ht 15” it’s powerful for the lower wattage it is.
I’m saddened it’s discontinued

FA136BD1-AD6C-4564-98C4-123A640E721B.jpeg 7DC3480C-FE5D-40DB-A3B3-1F1E2AB3EE03.jpeg This stuff and current riser
Didn’t wanna throw it away so figured I’d use it to stop bass vibrations.

Last edited:
Any ideas ? Could I put the sub on top or place carpeting around it to stop vibrating of the whole upstairs?

You've already been provided the two best low-cost ideas:

spikes
turn it down

You can easily improvise your own spikes virtually free by using four nails or wood screws, some wood or MDF scraps and a small bit of ingenuity. Figure it out and try it out.

Not sure I get the problem. You have the sub energized to get a LOT of bass in the room but you want to damp down that same bass? Turn it down, perhaps?

Unless you have some wicked room resonances building up that are peaking way above the average response. You can't treat those with any small of amount of padding or damping material. Best bet is to try to determine what you are dealing with in terms of resonance and try moving the sub around in different locations. You won't necessarily remedy the sub resonances but maybe the rooms interaction with same.

Not sure I get the problem. You have the sub energized to get a LOT of bass in the room but you want to damp down that same bass? Turn it down, perhaps?

Unless you have some wicked room resonances building up that are peaking way above the average response. You can't treat those with any small of amount of padding or damping material. Best bet is to try to determine what you are dealing with in terms of resonance and try moving the sub around in different locations. You won't necessarily remedy the sub resonances but maybe the rooms interaction with same.
Yeah poor room acoustics, turning it down made the bass more accurate.
If subs on a riser does the riser need spikes?
It separates it from floors.
It’s such a loud sub vs room size turning it down doesn’t effect spl much .

You've already been provided the two best low-cost ideas:

spikes
turn it down

You can easily improvise your own spikes virtually free by using four nails or wood screws, some wood or MDF scraps and a small bit of ingenuity. Figure it out and try it out.
The riser might be the best for now should I take the sub off of it and post pics to see if riser needs spikes on bottom? It rattles the ceiling / walls more then the floor. Bass waves just too big to dampen probably.

Back
Top Bottom