What was the last movie you watched?

A very good Coen brother's film with a dynamite cast. Tons of dark comedic twists.

51CW76jX8fL._SY445_.jpg

Watching some pre-Oscar coverage on TV with a Spike Lee interview and Emma mentioned she's never seen "Do The Right Thing" (1989), tho she's heard a lot about it. I saw in a theatre when it was first run. Its def a slice.
So i took a look and ordered it via Amazon and we watched that yesterday afternoon.
My gosh, I remembered some of the folks in the film - but I'd completely forgotten obnoxious Martin Lawrence and a host of others (Samuel L Jackson) ... She said she expected ... more.
She hasn't seen a lot of Spike's work ...

DotheRightThing_.jpg

"Polar", a Netflix original.

Loved it.

Kinda like John Wick on steroids versus a bodacious James Bond villain and the three stooges with gratuitous sex.

How can you go wrong?.

First Man
It was nice having a more human angle on the moon landing and there were moments that were really intense but overall I could see why it wasn't huge when it came out as it was far more quiet and thoughtful in other parts. It portrayed Armstrong as almost antisocial by focusing a lot of the movie on his inner turmoil. The human angle and the rawness of the launch and space sequences made the achievement that much more impressive to me though. There were moments that even though I knew the outcome I noticed I was holding my breath.

"American Made" (2017) Tom Cruise, Jesse Plemons, Domhnall Gleeson, Susan Wright

A (sort of) true story (more or less), about the exploits of Barry Seal (Cruise), a run-of-the-mill commercial pilot for TWA, who one fine day in 1979, runs into a rather clandestine young gent who recruits Barry into the CIA. He is given a very fast and maneuverable twin-engine plane, and is sent off on missions all around Central and South America, as basically a bag man for the CIA. He soon becomes known around all "the right circles" in these banana republics, and is soon offered a "side job" flying big bundles of coke for the Columbian cartel. After hearing the going rate for his services ($2 grand per kilo), he accepts, and is soon swimming in money, and carrying suitcases full of it to his local bank.
When the CIA gets the idea to start arming the Contras, they also have Barry flying guns, which he is soon diverting half of to his Columbian connections.
But, as they say, "All good things must come to an end", and the shit does hit the proverbial fan when various agencies start closing in on Barry, investigating little things, like why his local bank in the middle of Arkansas is all of a sudden holding more cash than any bank in the southern US.
While sort of predictable, the film actually does hold your interest, and is quite entertaining.

Watched, Casablanca last night on TCM. I agree with what the critics have been saying for decades. Almost the perfect movie. All the actors where matched with their characters perfectly. Full of great one liners, that we still use today. Such as the last one in the movie, when Bogie say's. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

2019 Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts, Cold War.

We double featured last Sunday.

Shorts are always fun. A few serious, a few funny. Animal Behavior, a Canadian comedy, was the best.

Cold War is a grimy love story set in post-war Poland, between 1949 and 1964. The Communist Party conscripts musicians to musically promote the great peoples’ democratic revolution. Some good music, including Clifford Brown playing Cherokee. Polish with English subtitles. Shot in black and white, making post-war Eastern Europe seem as depressing as it must have been.

I think black and white must be the new vinyl.

The Shining - again - Jack just as terrifying as ever if it's been long enough between viewings.

While it is a good scary movie, it also pisses me off. It in the book, Halloran comes back by virtue of the telepathic link with Danny and saves the day. In the 1980 movie he comes back ... and gets killed! 'The Shining', the title of the movie, is the name they used for that telepathic talent. Christine pisses me off as well, with little references to the book that lead nowhere but contradict the book.

Back
Top Bottom