Using Mac ma6200 or 6900 as a pre

Chimbot

Curious here... let’s say if I came up on a MA275. Instead of having to buy a dedicated pre-amp, would a ma6200 or ma6900 be a suitable pre-amp?
I’ve heard that the 6200 was equal to the C26(!?!) preamps? Not sure about the 6900 even though it’s more beastly in power.
Curious as to what light any Mac Vets out there can shine.
Cheers!

Absolutely, an MA6200 would make a fine choice as a preamp (think C32, almost). Far more features as well as improved SQ over a C26 (especially the phono section).
Simply remove the rear panel preamp to amp jumpers, and patch direct to your power amp from the preamp out jack.

Curious here... let’s say if I came up on a MA275. Instead of having to buy a dedicated pre-amp, would a ma6200 or ma6900 be a suitable pre-amp?
I’ve heard that the 6200 was equal to the C26(!?!) preamps? Not sure about the 6900 even though it’s more beastly in power.
Curious as to what light any Mac Vets out there can shine.
Cheers!
Absolutely, an MA6200 would make a fine choice as a preamp (think C32, almost). Far more features as well as improved SQ over a C26 (especially the phono section).
Simply remove the rear panel preamp to amp jumpers, and patch direct to your power amp from the preamp out jack.

Hey, thank you for this info! Ok- someone I talked to also said this in regards to my ma6900- that I could just use the power amp portion of the 6900 and buy a tube preamp. He said I might get a bit more tasty feel all around.

Yes, you can use the 6900 as a pre-amp/amplifier or get a tube pre and run that pre-amp's signal to the 6900 and let act as a power amp for your speakers.

Or use a Y connector between the pre/amp connections and hook up the internal amp and an external amp, then you can choose either/or/both. I did this with a MAC1900 for a while, makes for a versatile setup.

Or use a Y connector between the pre/amp connections and hook up the internal amp and an external amp, then you can choose either/or/both. I did this with a MAC1900 for a while, makes for a versatile setup.
I would not advocate using a Y connector on a source path as it drastically changes impedance. An audio DA would be a better way to accomplish this.

Back
Top Bottom