I'm done.

I'm just gonna be blunt, they don't compare, the bass bins suck, the midrange is all screwed up because of the rediculas xo points, don't image good because of the center emim blowing off it's own trip in space.
The drivers need to be put in new cabinets and 8 emims in a row similar to the 4.5 and xo same as 4.5 and irs v in a 3 way system. JMHO :)

OH Yeah thermoluddys, i hear ya loud and clear.

What InAp, all of that and no Gammas ? Hell of a nice collection buddy !. I’ve read about the 4.5 outshining the RS1b and I still cant understand why the original owner of my 4.5’s would put them in storage after buying the 1b’s when they first came out but I guess we all hear it differently.

Your crossovers are clean and the right side is completely different than mine, I don’t have the coil behind the large potentiometer our caps are arranged differently. Messing with mine have taken a back seat now that I have the meter I can check them anytime.

Room treatment has taken priority.

So I have one question.....your biamping your 4.5’s. Are the amplifiers exactly the same ?

NO! That's the benefit of biamping, you get to choose what works and sounds best on both channels, Bass is better with SS and classD, some prefer tubes on upper freq, it's just a matter of setting the gain so output is level matching, pink noise and spectrum analizer to set to flatest response.

I’m sitting here this morning, alone. Without interruption from anyone.

Listening to Thom Yorke, electric lady studios. Frontman for Radiohead.

All I have to say is these upper end Infinity Speakers are something to behold, the immersion into the sound is incredible. Never have I been so emotionally moved by music until these came into my home.

So I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

God Bless,

I swapped out the Duntech Princesses and put the RS-4.5s back in service today
been about a year and this thread has inspired me to get moving things again. I had forgotten how much heavy and hard work moving such large equipment about from Garage to listening room by myself is. But worth it.

Just spent an hour or so getting reacquainted.
All working perfectly.
They are incredibly immersive speakers and that Bass!

Just blasted an old bit of rock in the form of Radar Love from Golden Earrring - fabulous!!!

Duntech! Oooooh! :lust

so, do the speakers compare in any way?

Like I said, I loved, loved, LOVED the 4.5 over @7.62 s place, they were a touch hot, but I think room acoustics is Most of that.

If the gods smile on me I'll have a pair some day,

but you'll pry my Rens from my cold dead fingers. They are nearest to the perfect (neutral) speaker I've ever owned, but I guarantee they won't put out the dbs like the 4.5, at least not for very long....

coming some day, an A/B of 7.62s 4.5 and my Ren 90's db matched.

Some day....

unlikely to be soon.

from my listening...

Duntech are far more tolerant of bad recordings the EMIMs and EMITs can be very revealing
The 4.5s can zing a little but a decent soft lounge was helpful and settles things down
Both have excellent imaging with the Duntech a little better than the 4.5s
Duntech image is located a little higher than the Infinity
4.5s have deeper bass but Dunteck are no slouch - The Duntech have a very satisfying thump that you feel with the right music

Both can make you feel there is a person in the room on some recodings.
Behind trhe Princess are a parir of MAr

Ooops pressed the wrong key...

Lurking behind the Princess are a pair of Marquis which are also very good but a little less bass extension
If I had only space for one pair, then the Princess may just win simply as they take up less floor territory and are more tolerant of average recordings

Thank you for sharing Kev, man yours look really nice ! I know that was no easy chore moving everything around and those duntech look huge too. Holy Heck !

We have a guy here in Vegas that sells a lot of Audio, I’ve seen him put up a pair of Duntech speakers but I forget what number they are. I may ask if I can audition them if they come up again.

Totally agree though that the 4.5 is not forgiving, I kinda wonder what a line of scanspeak midranges like the revelator series would be like along side the emims. That might really smooth things out but hey what do I know.

Jazz, we are going to have to make that happen.

We were pretty happy that day, and I had a great time but we pretty hard on that volume knob !!! If you take it down a few notches and settle in with them and I’m making a list of music I like for us to try next round they really can be very immersive as mentioned. That hotness disappears. I’d really like to leave them with you for a few so you could really explore how good they are.

I’ll be up in Cedar City for a week or so, when I get back I’ll give you a ring Jazz.

I almost forgot, what is the driver arrangement on those duntech speakers and how tall are those ? They are beautiful stately looking beasts ! The veneer is gorgeous :thumbsup:.

I had the Soveriegns for a few yrs, very nice sounding speaker, Like to get hold of a set of Dunlevy 4a's,

There's a lot of appreciation in Europe nowadays for the old series of Infinity. Secondhand price for a pair of 4.5's has roughly doubled the last 4 to 5 years and same is true for the QLS.
I had a chance to buy either one from a guy living near Frankfurt (you know them for their sausages:biggrin:) he had a load of those Infinity's in his basement maybe as much as InAP (see pics)
I came for the QLS but he offered me his 4.5's also saying that these were even better but I was completely into the QLS and had no room after a 6 hour drive for anything else.
Saw also that the 4.5's are real dipoles and I know it would be a real challenge to get them in the sweet spot.
Don't regret it though I still have the QLS 's and I love them but when I read this thread I should at least have listened to the 4.5's when I had my chance...
Does anybody know how many incarnations there are from the QLS. So far I counted three but I'm not quit sure about it.
I have the ones with the veneer on the fronts not the matte black ones.

@InAp: I've had a pair of Acoustat 2 + 2's (Medaillon series) also for twenty years and how do you rank these compared with the QLS and 4.5?
Infinity museum.jpg
Infinity museum 2.jpg

Attachments

• Infinity QLS mit JRDG 7 und CJ Evo 20se.JPG
    Infinity QLS mit JRDG 7 und CJ Evo 20se.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 34
What an awesome room, nice collection of Infinity Speakers ! Man if I were single at least 2 rooms of the house would look like that.

QLS-1’s look very nice ! Congrats on those man :thumbsup:. You should have definitely had a listen given the chance, but then again maybe not. I can tell you the 4.5 is probably superior.

My sound deading panels arrived yesterday, I was kind of smitten with a pair of Carver AL-lll’s the last few days but alas the wife’s not having them :bye:. I haven’t listened to the big guys for a week or so, last night the Carvers left and I fired them up and OHhhhh my..........the 4.5 is really something else. So I’ll be figuring the best way to use these panels over the next few days.

The QLS series was I think was a total of 5 wasn’t it ?.....2 through 5 and the ones being the biggest.

Thanks for sharing the pictures !

I wish I could listen to the 4.5s. I had some in the area now there are some QLS 2 in the area. The infinity’s pop up here and there in Colorado. So many heavy infinity’s so little time. Lol

The QLS series was I think was a total of 5 wasn’t it ?.....2 through 5 and the ones being the biggest.
Thanks for sharing the pictures !
What I meant was how many incarnations of the QLS-1 alone have there been?
The German guy with the mother-load of Infinity's said I bought the first incarnation of the QLS-1 but I always believed that the ones with the matte black finish on the front and the protruding woofers were the first ones.
But I could be wrong.
According to the late J. Gordon Holt founder of the American audio magazine Stereophile the RS 4.5 had some five updates before a definitive version appeared on the market. (https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/579infinity/index.html)
Very nice review about your 4.5 I think.
Aren't you tempted to use anything else on your 4.5's than the Crown XLS Drivecore 2502? I onced bought a Crown K2 for the Watkins on my QLS's and tried it fullrange but I found the sound dull and vastly inferior compared to the Model 7's from Jeff Rowland. Mind you I'm not judging your choice but it seems to me that your 4.5's are so good that I would be tempted to use an American highend amp just for comparison.

I haven’t researched them a whole bunch history wise but I’m with you, I always thought and I’ve read somewhere that the black faced 1’s are the first version and the wood is the later.

As far as American power, I’m in a position right now where I could bring in another Krell, McIntosh amp into the house but after a few it’s funny I feel no need. I’m just plain happy with how the Crowns perform, never any problems, ever.

Now preamp that’s a different situation. I’ve been looking at a few AR preamps as well as McIntosh from audio classics.

I’m in the camp that the preamp is the single most piece that makes the difference in sound quality. I’m in no rush though, having them here is the important part and we can experiment down the road :thumbsup:.

Every time I fire them up though, I get this feeling :bowdown:.

Back
Top Bottom