Cheap audio gear. Yes? No? Sometimes?

Do you buy cheap audio gear?

• Yes. I'm all about it.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • Sometimes, but only after reading a rave review

Votes: 45 31.3%
  • Maybe, but I doubt it sticks for very long

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • No way. I don't want some cheap thing ruining my good stuff. Not worth it.

Votes: 28 19.4%
  • Price has nothing to do with my selections.

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • As a gift, I might.

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters

UncleBingo

Do you seek out cheap audio gear for your system? I'm talking about brand-new stuff. Not garage sale, estate, NOS or thrift "Scroes".

Cheap? No. Inexpensive? Yes! (Marketing, haha!) That said, the only inexpensive things I go for are periphery items. Cabling (monoprice speaker wire quite good actually) antennas, things like that. You generally get what you pay for and I have come to the conclusion of "Buy once, cry once" after trying to cheap out on things only to be disappointed later.

I had to look up the definition before I voted.
cheap
/CHēp/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of an item for sale) low in price; worth more than its cost.
    "they bought some cheap fruit"
    synonyms: inexpensive, low-priced, low-cost, economical, competitive, affordable, reasonable, reasonably priced, budget, economy, bargain, downmarket, cut-rate, reduced, discounted, discount, rock-bottom, giveaway, bargain-basement, low-end, dirt cheap
    "cheap tickets"
I guess I do since it's hard to not like something that is worth more than you pay for it. Let's say you have your eyes on a certain piece of gear, but it's way out of your price range. A new model comes out and it's now half price. It's a measly 5 grand now! Cheap! Ship it!

I had to look up the definition before I voted.
cheap
/CHēp/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of an item for sale) low in price; worth more than its cost.
    "they bought some cheap fruit"
    synonyms: inexpensive, low-priced, low-cost, economical, competitive, affordable, reasonable, reasonably priced, budget, economy, bargain, downmarket, cut-rate, reduced, discounted, discount, rock-bottom, giveaway, bargain-basement, low-end, dirt cheap
    "cheap tickets"
I guess I do since it's hard to not like something that is worth more than you pay for it. Let's say you have your eyes on a certain piece of gear, but it's way out of your price range. A new model comes out and it's now half price. It's a measly 5 grand now! Cheap! Ship it!

I didn't vote. Low price relative to current market value is a buy all the time.

I may have voted incorrectly since all my gear is old, the only time I bought new was back in the 70's and 80's have not since with exception of cables and tunes so I chose price has nothing to do with it even though I do not buy new anything I guess it would still apply if I were to do so.

I'll take some $#!+ for this, I'm sure, but...

My understanding initially was that this forum was for audiophiles of ALL skill, experience and monetary levels. Everyone enjoying the music on whatever they can afford...be it a $10 GE suitcase record player or a $10,000 Sansui G-9000, or ???. It's supposedly an "AUDIOphile", not an "UNDER$$$$ISCRAPophile". I see a lot of instances (both here and in person) where that just isn't so. I see a lot of brand name and dollar sign prejudice...and some disdain and disregard for those that don't have 4 digit components in their racks. THAT hurts us all. I watch interested prospective audiophiles walk away because they can't afford what "Dr. Johnny Perfectsystem" says is the bottom ends and all else is junk.

My hobby is bringing the newer generation back into the appreciation of music. "Cheap" components help me do that. I buy whatever I find that's inexpensive, with very few (notorious for malfunctioning) exceptions, and "flip" them at an affordable price. From $5 Sonys to $100 vintage units...if I plug them in and they make sound in my headphones...sold. By the time I hunt it down, run around town all day, spend hours (or days) cleaning and testing it and, if need be, repairs that I personally can do, I really don't make a mint...but to have the pizza delivery guy that pulled up blaring incomprehensible stop in his tracks, tilt his head, and say "I've never heard music sound like that"? It's worth the time and effort.
Audiophiles are supposed to love the music, no matter what it comes out of.
Sorry for the rant. Just my 2 cents. That and a bus token will get you across town.

Cheap is subjective really. I can put together a brand new system that will blow you away as far as spl and sound quality for 1600.00 bucks. Is that cheap? For some yes and some no. Some will love some will hate but with today's mid fi gear you don't have to spend stupid money to get a kick ass stereo! DG

Cheap, you bet.

Every Manufacturer out there had to start somewhere and if everyone listened to the audio snobs that have alot of money to throw around, a manufacturer of "cheap" audio gear may never get the opportunity to expand and improve their products.

I'm not into doing what's popular, I buy what I need for what I can afford and if I dislike it, I'll move it and buy something else.

For example, I have a pair of old Columbia/Denon bookshelf speaker cabinets I wanted to replace the speakers in. I went with used 8" AR woofers, and a new pair of Pyle 1" tweeters and 3.31 uF caps, and they sound great.

I don't buy new audio gear cheap or expensive most of the new stuff is designed to fail in a set period of time and some cannot even be repaired. Some people would rather buy a new car at 100k then buy the same car for 20k that has 5k miles on it. I have no need to be the first human to fart in the seat

None of those really fits where I'm at so I did'nt vote,sorry.

I buy the best that I can afford,and what that means is I buy older (vintage if you prefer) gear.
And typically that means it does'nt cost alot for the most part,as I cant afford high $$$ gear as SOP.
But I"m not "all about that" in regards to cheap gear,if I had more $$$ I'd surely spend more and buy higher quality gear.

So yeah cost definitely has something to do with it for me...

Reviews are all taken with a grain of salt,so they dont really play into it either.
I'm of the "believe nothing of what you're told by others and only half of what you see (or hear) with your own eyes (or ears) school of thought.

And I'm not biased against "cheap" gear per-se,if it sounds good and it's affordable,well there's no logical reason not to give it a chance.

So I guess that puts me in the "none of the above" catagory.

Oh well...

Bret P.

I voted with multiple options. No, I don't intentionally seek out the cheapest thing that will perform whatever function, but if I read enough reviews and something clearly punches beyond its price point, I'll give it a shot. Price is always a consideration. I'm not going to take out a loan to buy a piece, but I'm willing to bide my time and squirrel away the cash to buy something (at whatever cost) if I truly want it.

I think it’s one thing to buy cheap, then it’s another thing to buy cheap junk that costs more. Like there are allot of phono preamps being sold by inexpensive turntable companies that don’t sound half as good as the Schiit Mani and usually at a third of the price. I think allot of people coming into the audio hobby have a hard time finding their way analyzing the differences between equipment and opt out with the ideology that it’s all ancient technology so it should all be the same anyway. The hobby has always been about finding the best possible equipment for the least cash out of the pocket. Who would spend more than they would have to, unless they were spoiled as a child ???

Cheap?? LOL well "Gauntlet Down! I seriously doubt "anyone" can do better then uh $ 5.99, for a new amp?? A "Kimber MA -170" worst of the lot! But 5.99 WTH?? But it did power up fine, so it met my minum epxpection! :)

And I use it with my Amazon 8 inch tablets with some tiny HT in a Box Sony Speakers,
at bedtime , times have changed and "small is king" these days. Tiny stuff has its place. :)

Cheap audio gear. Yes? No? Sometimes?

Well ..... yes , yes, and yes.

When buying audio gear, generally what I am aiming for is obtaining the highest quality for the lowest price. Best value if you will.

So in answer to the questions above:

Yes I'll buy a cheap piece if it's of good quality.

No I won't buy a cheap piece merely because it's cheap.

Sometimes.... refer to the two above.

Tiny stuff has its place.

I'm trying to imagine The Who, circa 1970, performing @ "full force", for one of those so-called Tiny Desk Concerts, what NPR produces. Maybe "tiny" -- employing contemporary audio technology -- could'a worked out for an outfit like The Who @ full throttle? Would the likes of Anthrax, Metallica, and/or Slayer participated in @ a "Tiny Desk Concert" and, if so, able to deliver their trademark "live setting" sound, or would their sound be necessarily reduced to an unplugged -- or darned close to it -- state?

Back
Top Bottom