FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

The heaters are wired in series, if they are not warming up evenly, one gets hot before the other comes up.

I have had a problem with some GE JAN 5654w. The fact is that after a week of using my Fx Audio Tube 01 with those tubes, my Pioneer VSX 324 amplifier suddenly went out. The first few times it turned off after 20 or 30 minutes of use. Later the blackouts were more and more frequent. At first, I think that they were cooling problems of the amplifier. I put the amplifier in a more ventilated area and kept going off. Then, I disconnected the Fx Audio Tube 01 and the blackouts disappeared. Next I tried the Fx Audio Tube 01 with a pair of Voskhod 6j1p-ev tubes and it did not turn off. I'll keep watching, but I think there is no doubt that these GE JAN 5654w tubes are not right. I will request the refund from the seller.

An update on my problem with the FX,the humming is on both channels,swapped around the supplied tubes to no avail,the signal path is CD>FX>Amp,there is no hum when the FX is taken out of its path.
There was no power supply,I have used one off a PC monitor,I assume it is of the switching kind,the rating of it is, Input 220-240v~ 50Hz 200mA
Output 12V-1000mA.
I have contacted the seller the reply is.
bestg61 sent you a message about your request:

dear friend so sorry for all trouble Could you plz keep it and then we will refund you 30%as a compensation without return? Could you plz repair it in your local repair shop? Plz do not worry i just want help you and protect your profit. waiting for your repl.

I cannot see how I can fix it,it should be working correct in the first place,unless I have done something wrong.

An update on my problem with the FX,the humming is on both channels,swapped around the supplied tubes to no avail,the signal path is CD>FX>Amp,there is no hum when the FX is taken out of its path.
There was no power supply,I have used one off a PC monitor,I assume it is of the switching kind,the rating of it is, Input 220-240v~ 50Hz 200mA
Output 12V-1000mA.
I have contacted the seller the reply is.
bestg61 sent you a message about your request:

dear friend so sorry for all trouble Could you plz keep it and then we will refund you 30%as a compensation without return? Could you plz repair it in your local repair shop? Plz do not worry i just want help you and protect your profit. waiting for your repl.

I cannot see how I can fix it,it should be working correct in the first place,unless I have done something wrong.

The least the guy could have done is send the stock power supply. If you are getting sound out of both channels but with hum, the power supply is a likely cause. Try a regulated power supply.

Ed

Last edited:
With the CD player disconnected from the FX and connected to the amp there is no hum.
I am getting sound out of the CD player but with hum,I do not own a regulated power supply nor do I know anyone who has which is a stumbling block.

It could be a ground loop problem rather than a source problem. Does it happen with the CD player disconnected from the FX?

I have a desktop PC with a very old M Audio analogue soundcard,I've just connected the FX between that and the amp using another power supply still non regulated.
No hum.
Could you please explain a ground loop problem,I understand ground loop issues on a turntable but not digital.

I have a desktop PC with a very old M Audio analogue soundcard,I've just connected the FX between that and the amp using another power supply still non regulated.
No hum.
Could you please explain a ground loop problem,I understand ground loop issues on a turntable but not digital.
This usually follows a problem related to an AC differential showing up on the ground planes of interconnected components, due to inadequate power supply line isolation somewhere.

I had an issue with my unit having a tube fail with a loud cracking noise. I am lucky it didnt take a tweeter out. I have since replaced the tubes with sylvanias and it seems to work fine. At this point i dont have it in the circuit because i am enjoying the passive pre on its own.

I had an issue with my unit having a tube fail with a loud cracking noise. I am lucky it didnt take a tweeter out. I have since replaced the tubes with sylvanias and it seems to work fine. At this point i dont have it in the circuit because i am enjoying the passive pre on its own.
Is your passive a DACT?

Got my batch of matching November 1985 Voskhod's!

20190314_181710.jpg

All four make this distortion buzz/cracking, like dripping at 3 Hz frequency. The loudness of the buzz is independent of the position of volume knob, and is present more or less symmetrically on both channels. Sometimes this distortion escalates to a constant even louder buzz (I could imagine some leak current) that then changes back to "dripping" after 15s or so. Is this something that 'burning the tubes in' will resolve? Or did I get a bad batch?

The original Chinese tubes do not have any issues (anymore), although I remember that very early on there was some (less loud) cracking sounds with them that went away quickly.

Got my batch of matching November 1985 Voskhod's!

View attachment 1449470

All four make this distortion buzz/cracking, like dripping at 3 Hz frequency. The loudness of the buzz is independent of the position of volume knob, and is present more or less symmetrically on both channels. Sometimes this distortion escalates to a constant even louder buzz (I could imagine some leak current) that then changes back to "dripping" after 15s or so. Is this something that 'burning the tubes in' will resolve? Or did I get a bad batch?

The original Chinese tubes do not have any issues (anymore), although I remember that very early on there was some (less loud) cracking sounds with them that went away quickly.

Did you buy them on eBay? If so you can get your money back. FWIW I only buy from sellers with high feedback numbers and scores.

Did you buy them on eBay? If so you can get your money back. FWIW I only buy from sellers with high feedback numbers and scores.

Yes, from eBay. The seller has over 4k transactions and 100% positive. So you think this is something that will not go away?

it id strange that all 4 would have the same problem. I have bought 10 pairs and none had this issue. the only time I had an issue was one pair that was supposed to be matched had noticable channel imbalance. they simply were not a matched pair. i just kept them as backup.

I switched back to the original Chinese tubes, and the crackling is gone...except that I now realize that it is still present, but just much much fainter than with the Voskhod's. I can still here very similar cracking, but only if I put my ear next to the speaker and everything is otherwise absolutely quiet.

So it sounds like that this crackling is a property of the Dilvpoetry pre-amp itself, and then the Voskhod's are somehow more sensitive to it, or amplify it more. To the degree that they are not usable in my pre-amp. Weird...

Make sure the tubes are firmly seated in their sockets. It takes some downward pressure with a slight rocking motion to get them all they way into the sockets.

Unlike most tube gear the FX's sockets are deep in the case and they have to be fitted by feel rather than by sight.

Back
Top Bottom