So, I need a new Subwoofer

peerson

Found out today that my Klipsch SW450, powered Subwoofer cannot be repaired. It was affected by a lightning strike last Fall. So, I need a new one. And, I am looking for recommendations. This is for a HT system. Thanks in advance!

Not a big fan of woogers myself - up your nose, they tickle, and in your mouth, they get stuck between your teeth. I can see where some folk might like them though. Maybe stick them under the seat and save them for later ...

(Not sure where a subwooger would go though ...) ;-}

How badly damaged was the sub? If it's just the amp board, maybe check out Dayton Audio's DIY kits for a replacement that will fit? All different watts ranges available and some neat features such as adjustable pass filters and such. Hard to beat their prices too.

I will find out which board is bad when I pick it up. Hopefully this week. And, no, I will not need to raccoon the woofer on this one

If it's only the amp that's fried. If you have a spare amp laying around, you just just drill and install some binding posts on the cabinet, and hook it up to the woofer, turn it into a passive sub.

I
Not a big fan of woogers myself - up your nose, they tickle, and in your mouth, they get stuck between your teeth. I can see where some folk might like them though. Maybe stick them under the seat and save them for later ...

(Not sure where a subwooger would go though ...) ;-}

How badly damaged was the sub? If it's just the amp board, maybe check out Dayton Audio's DIY kits for a replacement that will fit? All different watts ranges available and some neat features such as adjustable pass filters and such. Hard to beat their prices too.
In my recent move one of my Daytons wouldn't power on, the plate amp is no longer made. Ordered two plate amps to replace both to keep the pair identical, wouldn't you know it the defective unit started working and hasn't skipped a beat in 8 months now. So now I have 2 Dayton plate amps in the batters box lol.

I use a Dayton plate to drive my butt woofers ...

aura-shaker-02.jpg

Some might know them better as bASS Shakers? Two of the Aura Pro transducers anyway. Only problem is I got too big a plate amp and I could just barely crack it open before my lazyboy starts to shake apart. Added an inline attenuator between that and the light show controller that feeds the chair and all is good now.

I think I will call Dayton to ask which one might be a good fit for my Klipsch. Looks like an easy replacement if they have one that will fit without too much modification.

Check with Klipsch they do sell replacement amp's

You might also look at the SW-450's replacement, the
Klipsch Reference R-10SW 10" 300w Powered Subwoofer. It is on sale at Amazon for $249 Dollars.

41PeL5d95LL.jpg

According to my tech, the parts are not available from Klipsch anymore. The R10SW looks interesting. Will probably check that one out

Remember the total displacement of your sub should be 4 times the volume of your satellite speakers woofers. So if you have 8. 8 inch woofers that move 1/4 of an inch. Thats. 16 pi X 8 X .25 = 32 pi cu inches. X 4. or 128 cu inches. If a 12 inch woofer can move . 5 inches. That would mean 36 pi X . 5=. 18 pi. which .means you would need 7 subs.. If your subs have 1 inch travel you could get buy with 4. If you used M&K subs with double 12"'s you would need two. If you used Klipsch I would want 2 15 inch subs to get the full capability of the system. If you are like most folks one 15 inch would probably suffice.

Last edited:
Remember the total displacement of your sub should be 4 times the volume of your satellite speakers woofers. So if you have 8. * inch woofers that move 1/4 of an inch. Thats. 16 pi X 8 X .25 = 32 pi cu inches. X 4. or 128 cu inches. If a 12 inch woofer can move . 5 inches. That would mean 36 pi X . 5=. 18 pi. which .means you would need 7 subs.. If your subs have 1 inch travel you could get buy with 4. If you used M&K subs with double 12"'s you would need two. If you used Klipsch I would want 2 15 inch subs to get the full capability of the system. If you are like most folks one 15 inch would probably suffice.

Td;Dr:

Everyone needs 10 subs.

Needs.

Its all about the volume of air needed to be moved. Maybe a professional JBL system where the woofer can move over an inch. Of course if you listen with sustained levels less than 90 db and you wish to give up bass below 30 HZ a Single 12 will be all you will ever need. But remember two subs placed properly in a room will be more apt to give the most even coverage throughout the listening area.

Its all about the volume of air needed to be moved. Maybe a professional JBL system where the woofer can move over an inch. Of course if you listen with sustained levels less than 90 db and you wish to give up bass below 30 HZ a Single 12 will be all you will ever need. But remember two subs placed properly in a room will be more apt to give the most even coverage throughout the listening area.
The volume of air or a whole lotta watts to make up for a smaller box . I had 2 Velodyne HGS 12’s now I have one they put out 1,250 watts rms and 3,000 watts peak and dual spiders instead of a bumped pole for a much higher excursion. In other words these things can get very low and loud , no need for 2 in your average room and not that that will break your windows . I agree that 2 subs are better for smoothing out the low end frequency.

Audiofreak71

Check with Klipsch they do sell replacement amp's

You might also look at the SW-450's replacement, the
Klipsch Reference R-10SW 10" 300w Powered Subwoofer. It is on sale at Amazon for $249 Dollars.

41PeL5d95LL.jpg
Ordered THIS from Amazon. Supposed to deliver Tuesday. Been without one since the power surge last June!

I very much like Klipsch subwoofers. I have a RW-12II it has been causing earthquakes since 2013.

503001e7b672dc520b4d0928cfff08b5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom