Suggestion: Start a HD Radio Forum.....?

soundhd

HD radio is coming into use more and more.......automotive type receivers are available in more and more numbers..........home HD tuners are also starting to become available. Would be nice to be able to hear what the owners of some of these tuners think about them, how the antennas work, etc...........Just a thought............

Music Is In the Ear Of The Listener...........:music:

HD Radio... Not high def... but Hybrid Digital. Poor quality, limited range. Will die a slow death..

My brother has one that he let me try out and he just got another portable one for Christmas. He likes them. The one I tried had poor reception and sounded like crap. Maybe due to my location.

My favorite classical FM station has been pushing them and giving them away for prizes. I don't think they are going away.

HD radio is coming into use more and more.......automotive type receivers are available in more and more numbers..........home HD tuners are also starting to become available. Would be nice to be able to hear what the owners of some of these tuners think about them, how the antennas work, etc...........Just a thought............

Music Is In the Ear Of The Listener...........:music:

Hybrid Digital - as of 2017, I'm still not impressed ...

As a long-time HD user, here's my experience.
This format was conceived as a way to increase program content & signal purity. Individual transmitters had to upgrade to digital format at their own expense, but this opened up the capacity for multiple formats broadcasting simultaneously. I.e. wksu, the regional npr/public radio broadcaster in my area has 4 separate channels running on the same frequency, 4 different formats. Npr news, a folk music sub-channel, classical music sub-channel & a dedicated news feed. Not blowing their horn, just relaying HD capabilities.
This mode is not flawless, however. To decode the digital stream, a strong received signal is required. If you live in a fringe area as I do, an external antenna is mandatory. (I have a rotatable 6-element yagi & a crossed dipole in the attic). If youre in an urban area, this is not so much an issue, plus there's more stations to pick from. Like digital terrestrial tv, it's either there or it ain't. The first radios on the market weren't very sensitive, & it could try ones patience putting up with constant drop-outs. HD receivers also function as conventional radios when not on an encrypted frequency.
Along came Sony's xdr-f1hd am/fm HD rig, which rewrote the book & pretty much set the standard for HD receivers. This tuner, which is just that, now costs more used,if you can find one, than when new, such is its reputation and resulting demand. It also out-specs & out-performs most conventional tuners. Unfortunately, no longer in production, so if you can find one,especially for $100 or less, grab it!
As an added bonus, HD radios have scrolling multi -function displays to indicate programming content. Hear a song ,it's on the display.
All that being said, not a perfect medium, but a great leap forward from the limits of analog broadcasting, which I hope never goes away, as it has and will in several countries across the pond.
Merry Christmas all, DE K8CAT

Alas, here in Boston my favorite station got bought out by iHeart radio and they changed their HD2 station from a blues station to talk radio.
Bummer, guess I won’t be using my Sony XDR-F1HD anymore!

That blows. Like we need more talk radio!
Oughta be more HD options in beantown, I'd think. Hey, sell me your remote control! :bigok:

Back
Top Bottom